No TV-Cockpit after 3DSmax Editing!

iZzy

Hi Guys,

im currently on my first steps with 3DS Max and now i have a problem.

I've imported a GMT File to 3dSimed and exported this Shape to .3DS Format.

Then i tried a bit around. First try was the polycount optimization...

After that i've saved that File again as .3DS File and importet this File to 3dSimed. Now i've edited the material names and set the right textures. After that, i've saved this File as a .GMT File and imported it to the TEAM.MAS.

Very cool, i've seen my Car now in the Showroom :)

Then the Problem: If i start a Testday, i can't see my car in the TV-View - but Cockpit and Swingman etc. works 100% correct. Any Ideas for that ?

And an other Question: Is it maybe possible to export an Model from 3dSimed to 3dsMax and import it back to 3dSimed WITHOUT the lost of the materialnames and texture mappings ?

Thanks!

If you have all the files in your folder necessery for running it in rfactor then you should have the .cam file too. "views" are actually "cameras" and you can set them in the .cam file. Open it with notepad and you will see the "cockpit" and "tvcockpit" etc. cams, and there you can change position and orientation. For a more visual editing, AIW editor is also able to create cameras, but not sure for cars, I never used it cause setup of it will take you longer then changing coordinates in .cam

for 3dsimed to 3dsMax migration, I'd rather use .gmt to 3dsmax over the gmotor importer plugin.. Then you can edit materials directly in 3dsmax and view them as you would in game, no need for third party program..

But if you must use some other exporter I'd use collada.
Now you should be careful, I am not sure if the smoothing groups will be preserved however, they are pretty hard to get over when exporting from one side to another cause they get converted from max smoothing groups to mesh normals and it might suddenly dissapear..

You will preserve texture maps, there's no problem, it works with every exporter. However in some cases the textures don't appear or are missing so you'll have to pick the material and apply the textures again.

Generally, there is no way to convert stuff WITHOUT problems, but you must find out what suits you best and use that.. In my opinion, gmt exporting with max plugin works best for big works like tracks with lots of materials, but it might get unorganized and complicated to setup all materials, for cars you can use dae cause you can keep standard max materials. But you should ALWAYS keep everything in max, so there is absolutely no need to convert it BACK to max

hope this helps

My guess is you edited the lod draw distances somehow.

I am having a very similar issue. My team has purchased 3d models from a 3d modeler that has made models for rfactor before. I have made sure the LOD's on all the objects in the GEN file are correct. For some reason when I switch to TV Cockpit camera the car is invisible, but if I switch to the on board cameras the one on the hood works fine and the car can be seen.

Hi !

I've found the issue and how to fix this.

The Problem was that i forgot to set the mirror.bmp to the mirrors ^^

After adding this material, it was working in rFactor!

The particular car I am working on does not have mirrors. Is there a fix for the issue on cars that do not have mirrors?

I'm having the same problem. Only moving objects (wheels, tires, debris) are showing up. Can someone please find or tell us a solution?

Back