Oval Banking

beatnik

Anyone have tips for creating Oval Banking accurately? Say I want 16 degrees of banking in the turns, 12 on the straights. I can create banking easily but at times it seems too extreme or ridiculous. I've tried rotate and moving edges. Feel pretty lost.

I mean no way the pic below is 16 degrees of banking.

View attachment 184

Also if you can't tell in the picture I use the loft method for the track surface before extruding.

EDIT AGAIN: Finally got it, not sure why it usually takes me until I create a new thread to figure something out. :)

Last edited:
EDIT AGAIN: Finally got it, not sure why it usually takes me until I create a new thread to figure something out. :)
Happens with me all the time.

Exactly how did you get the banking corrected?

Well I create with lofts so the Path Steps / Get Shape deal confused me a bit so I just dug in and worked through it. I inserted shapes at different path steps then rotated those shapes to the degrees of banking I wanted. Couldn't even begin to tell you what in the world I was doing before lol. Here are a few shots. Be gentle, my first homemade track. Figured it would be best to sandbox on something original.

I actually used two lofts as I was having trouble keeping my pit road flat (well no banking) and just welded the two lofts together. The downgrade on pit road actually wasn't an accident but it adds a bit of uniqueness to the track.

View attachment 185View attachment 186

That looks very nice. Although it looks bumpy in the corners. Try reducing the size of the polygons in the corners. It should help the corners look and feel smoother.

You talking as far as texturing goes or actual physical bumps in the race track?

I'm not talking about the textures. I'm talking about the physical track model. The polygon resolution in the corners is a bit low.

I'm not talking about the textures. I'm talking about the physical track model. The polygon resolution in the corners is a bit low.

Hmm, do you mean the smoothness of polygon to polygon? Cause when I hear bumps I think of characteristics of the track. If you mean smoothness then no worries, this is just a sandbox toy. Learning the ropes. :)

That's exactly what I mean. You'll learn how to do it eventually. I just wish I was that good with 3DS Max.

It's just the path steps. Some people say use Turbo and Mesh Smooth but to me it just screws up all my chamfers.

I hope to get as good as possible with this. Just being able to create an environment for a game/sim makes it so exciting.

Well now I've ran into a rather nagging problem. I loft my track, get the correct banking but can't seem to get rid of the hells/elevation changes everywhere else around the track (pit road/apron). More of a 3ds Max question really. Is there a way I can flatten all polygons that I don't want banked or elevated lol? Here's a pic of my issue. I wouldn't mind the bumps/hills but I want them there on my own terms.

I've tried one loft and I've tried multiple lofts. Seperate lofts get the better results but no flatness. :mad:

View attachment 187

Are you talking about how the inside dips down below as it pivots on the centre of the track?

I often wonder the same thing, I presume it would have something to do with the elevations you set with the spline (as the centre of the track inclines into the turn). On some tracks the bank does dip down on the inside, but on oval tracks the bottom of the track usually stays level to the rest.

Well I tried rotating the segments in the Spline before making the loft and that worked out perfectly. Now when I do the loft all I do is insert the shapes into their path steps and it's good to go.

EDIT: For anyone who stumbles upon this thread, if you try this method and already have an AIW created with waypoints and corridors, delete it or the track won't load in rFactor. :)

View attachment 188

Last edited:
Ugh, I still find the shapes/banking create unwanted hills on the track, fortunately though they aren't as extreme this time. More learning to go. :)

Looks like this thread could serve as a do's and don'ts in the future for up and coming oval track makers at this rate lol.

Back