Performance tweaks

6e66o

There is a lot of information across the web, on how to improve fps on modern systems,
as rFactor obviously doesnt take full advantage of todays technology.

Im sure everybody heard of these:

+fullproc
rf.jpg

Nvidia FPS Fix
http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=Nvidia FPS Fix

Whats your experience with these?

If you know any other ways to increase fps, feel free to add them here.

Also would love to hear a statement from ISI on this subject.

Last edited:
The Nvidia FPS Fix works great but gives me tons of crash to desktops.

Well, seems to depends what card you have. Using my old 8800GTX was impossible to use (CTDs) but, using my ATI 5850 works really well and without CTDs.

I used the wombats dll on my old 8800GT and now on my 5770 and never have crashes. I went through a phase on my 8800GT where I was crashing but I replaced my PSU and have been rock solid since. I got about a 25% FPS jump using the wombat dll.

Everyone with 4+ gb RAM and a x64 OS should have a look at this:
http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

This patches the rfactor.exe so it can use 4 gb RAM instead of 2.

It really helps with large grids!
I just loaded 90 cars on track (full details) without runtime error, where before rfactor crashed with 40 cars.

I learned about it here:
http://www.weissbierbude.de/compone...,28267/catid,3/limit,15/limitstart,0/lang,de/
(german community)

That was the main reason why I switched to 64bit Win 7 from 32bit XP... but I didn't need any patches. Also there was no need for such at Vista 64bit (I did some tests on Vista too).
64bit OS won't (or at least shouldn't) limit apps to use only 2GB, like 32bit does.

64bit OS won't (or at least shouldn't) limit apps to use only 2GB, like 32bit does.
Thats right,
but as long as the software (rFactor) is limited you wont take full advantage of a 64bit OS.

Just try loading as much (different) cars on track as you can (with maximum details).
Eventually you will get a runtime error.
After using this "4gb patch", the number of cars you can load, before rfactor crashes, will definitely increase.

Will the nvidia fix also work with ati-cards? (I read the rfc-entry,...maybe I should just give it a try...)

How does rfactor use the ram on an normal XP-computer?

I also have a Radeon 5850 and the fps fix gave me quite a boost. However not completely without problems. Sometimes the screen or some textures flicker, but it's not a big problem.

+fullproc didn't seem to make a noticeable difference to me.

Last edited:
Thats right,
but as long as the software (rFactor) is limited you wont take full advantage of a 64bit OS.

Just try loading as much (different) cars on track as you can (with maximum details).
After using this "4gb patch", the number of cars you can load, before rfactor crashes, will definitely increase.

If I can run PCC2007 @ fullhd, full details, with 60AI and I SEE that rfactor.exe process eats up way over 2GB of my memory and I have all that without any patches then I don't see where that limitations are ;-)
Of course such thing couldn't be possible at 32bit OS. Max what I could get at XP, was 23-24AI with that mod.

Peter, "+fullproc" in most cases won't give you any fps gain. It might help in situations like sudden peak in CPU usage (like huge crash of dozens of cars or when your OS decided to do something that could noticably influence CPU usage in the background).

Well,
try run a mod with not just one car modell...
Like VLN, with 100 ai opponents.

All i can say is, it made a huge difference for me,
and hundrets of other people apparently.

You think you´re fine without it, good for you.

I'm just curious, what are the other limitations because as I said, rF won't give me any errors (Visual C++ something... typical because not enough RAM at that case) even it use more than 2GB and that's without that patch.
I'm also wondering, why I don't have such issue and others do?

Well,
try run a mod with not just one car modell...
Like VLN, with 100 ai opponents.
That actually doesn't matter, because it's only about crossing 2GB limitation that one process can use under 32bit OSes, and that you can easily check with one car model.

Last edited:
Now I'm confused because I just did test with rF and got error at about 1,7GB... On the other hand, I remember that I reached about 2,7GB (even took a screenshot to show that to my friend)... so, it looks like you are right and right now it's only possible with the patch!

it looks like you are right and right now it's only possible with the patch!
Told ya.

At least now there is a solution for it,
and a very simple one it seems.

Let´s see how rf2 deals with todays hardware,
i hope it takes better advantage then rf1 does.

I dig a bit and yes, it's only about that one flag "IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE".
Because my previous tests was a long time ago (I think over 2 years ago or earlier), maybe that flag was present in older rF patches and in the newest (let's call them that way ;-) ) is not?

Maybe.
I heard various people saying that older rf versions (pre 1.255) worked better with large grids.

Will the nvidia fix also work with ati-cards? (I read the rfc-entry,...maybe I should just give it a try...)

How does rfactor use the ram on an normal XP-computer?

I saw larger gains on my ATI card then I did my old Nvidia card with this proxy dll.

I also have a Radeon 5850 and the fps fix gave me quite a boost. However not completely without problems. Sometimes the screen or some textures flicker, but it's not a big problem.

+fullproc didn't seem to make a noticeable difference to me.

I have been using this dll for a long time but very recently (Around C10.9 I think) I started getting flickering. I only get it in the UI when I first start the game or when I first exit to the monitor. It flickers for a few secs then stops. But I am not getting flicking on track. Is this the same thing you are experiencing?

Maybe.
I heard various people saying that older rf versions (pre 1.255) worked better with large grids.

I remember people having problems when 1.255 first came out but I thought the problems were solved in 1.255F. I know load times were cut in half between 1.255 and 1.255F.

I have been using this dll for a long time but very recently (Around C10.9 I think) I started getting flickering. I only get it in the UI when I first start the game or when I first exit to the monitor. It flickers for a few secs then stops. But I am not getting flicking on track. Is this the same thing you are experiencing?

Yes, this is almost exactly what I have noticed. I have only been using the dll since I first saw this thread, so catalyst 10.9 was probably the driver I had installed.

There might have been some flickering a few times in the mirrors as well and on some textures in game, not sure if that was because of the dll though (couldn't notice any of that when I did some quick testing just now). I have some similar small flickering problems in Fallout New Vegas, were I also use a dll file for extra fps.

This x64 patch have resolved all my problems. Finally i can play rft2010 with full 24 grid!!
ThanXXXX

I have also ati 5850 confirm with +10.8 catalyst the wombat dll flickering, for me also microstuttering with i7 950, 6gb ram 1600 and p6t-se. However i can change the mobo, buy a GYGABITE ga-x58a-ud5 it's better than p6t-se.

THANX!!!

Everyone with 4+ gb RAM and a x64 OS should have a look at this:
This patches the rfactor.exe so it can use 4 gb RAM instead of 2.
Hi 6e66o ;) first of all thanks for the tip. It works as well using wombat.dll fix too? or i need to uninstall this last one?

Havent tried that,
but i see no reason why it shouldnt work.
maybe im wrong though...

Definetively you're on the spot mate, this patch allow me to load 100 cars on track against 30 before (ILMS Mod)

I was wondering how my system couldnt load 100 cars at the same time my previous one (and slower) does.

Now it's solved, 100 cars on track and 100 FPS+ as a breeze, thanks for the tip!

Thats right,

Back