Plugin on the server ?

JohnW63

I have a feeling the answer to this question has to do with performance, but the question has come up.

Is there a reason NOT to run user created plugins on the server, rather than the client computers ?

In a word, no.

It depends what you're wanting to do, obviously; some plugins need to be on the client, some work better or need to be on the server. The server does tend to run at 250fps so the code can't be too busy, but that's not really too much of a change from a client plugin.

If that is the case, then, keeping track of all the players at the same time would create a much more difficult task. there is a Variable called "isPlayer" but I don't see an easy way to differentiate any player , if they were all on the server. There is a vehicle info sort of variable, but that seems to be it.

Having the data I want to check streamed to the server, rather than each player's local folder would make some things simpler, from an admin point of view.

UpdateTelemetry isn't available on the server. That is a client side thing only. I think Lazza pointed that out to you when you first started your tire change detection project. The only way to do it is to have all your guys run the plugin and have it communicate with a remote server or create a log file that each player is required to upload after the race. You could put some sort of hash of the file contents at the end of the file that you could use to verify that they didn't tamper with the log to cheat.

UpdateTelemetry isn't available on the server. That is a client side thing only.

That would be a good reason !

I'm thinking of outputting the file in an odd format and give it a non-standard file extension, to keep guys from looking at it.

How does the hash work ? My college class memory tells me I should know this.

By hash I mean something like an MD5 hash somewhere in the file. Maybe something simple like the last line of the file. Just hash the file contents along with some sort of password that only you know. That way they can't alter the file and then create their own MD5 hash.

So when you get the file you could rehash the file on your side to be sure it matches the hash in the file.

Back