Problem with custom Track on different machines

markshires

I have created a track from scratch and it is running fine in rFactor on my machine, I have also tested it on a second machine where it also works fine.

However I have delivered it to a client, and the track fails to load on their machine, it just hangs on the loading screen, there are no error messages or anything reported? Also apparently when they remove the track from the gamedata/locations directory it still appears in the list of tracks

Does anyone have any ideas as to what this can be? Other than installed in the wrong location? File paths?

Was the track a zip? to root? or maybe an exe?
Idealy your client should unzip/install the track in a temp folder and just copy the track folder itself into rf/locations. this way he knows he has the right things in the right place (a zip or exe might not do that if not proporly created)

If all fails try and get the client to tweak the settings abit, often going from dx9 to 7 fixes issues. (or maybe start with this)
Also a long loading-period is not uncommon the first time a track loads (on big tracks) and often people escape the game thinking it was not loading whilst it was.

I think it is important if you get a view of what rfactor component is failing, that long period is probably the time it takes to rebuild the HAT collision database.

You can advise your customer to launch rfactor using a shortcut, with the -trace=4 option enabled. that would build the Userdata\LOG\trace.txt file where you will be able to see what part of rfactor has already finished its startup process.

edited: 'and the track fails to load on their machine, it just hangs on the loading screen, there are no error messages or anything reported'
Key notes here: - the track and the loading screen are found, so probably the track is within locations folder.

Thanks Guys,

It was delivered in a zip file to copy into the location folder, I am trying to go down the route of changing the shader versions for dx9, 8,7 etc to see if it makes a difference.

I am not sure how long they are leaving it to load, however the track is not a big track and loads up pretty much instantly on my machine.

I have advised on using the trace option I used trace=10 (not sure what the numbers mean debug level warnings?) however they are having problems getting this to work.

I am pretty sure that it is in the wrong location or something on their side.

On a further note does anyone know why it would still be visible in the track list if it has been deleted from the locations folder?

On a further note does anyone know why it would still be visible in the track list if it has been deleted from the locations folder?

That i dont understand either and may well be the root of (all evil lol)

Maybe they did multiple tries to get the track into the locations folder and ended up with a few different folders.
Like for example when you have a 70stracks-folder and within that the track-folders themselfes.
One might be trying to simply take the track itself and add it to locations. people will start to fiddle with it all and sometimes make it worse.

If so, then maybe they are fiddling with the wrong track folder, deleting one that doesn't work to begin with.
Might seem abit far-fetched but as a league admin for many years, trying to get members doing the right procedures, this is not as far-fetched as it may seem :p

SOLVED
I have managed to solve this problem, it was a shader issue, for one of the materials that I had created I hadn't created the lower level version of the material ie DX9 was created but DX7 or 8 was not.

Thanks to everyone that helped

Back