problem with SSTR-SHADERPACK/SSTR_CARPAINT_TOBUMPCUBE.VSH

bigglesmclee

Rfactor workign great for ages.

Today loaded PIKES PEAK from rfactorcentral. installed "car and sounds and rfm" as normal for mod installation.

Pikes peak mod did not work so deleted all newly installed pikes peak "car and sounds and rfm" files/folder.

now rfactor does not work and crashes to desktop with the error

"error opening vertex shader file SSTR-SHADERPACK/SSTR_CARPAINT_TOBUMPCUBE.VSH"

can anyone tell me why this is happening and how to fix.

did not install any other mod except pikes peak but seems to have made a mess of rfactor. did manual install so know where all files went and uninstalled ! confuised

help appreciated

Last edited:
Its just a track, nothing too complicated and you removed all files....weird.

I assume you checked the original track files themselves in order to remove everything related from rfactor?

The only thing I can think of is removing the pikes.Hat file from Userdata/Log/Hat, as that is often overlooked but still revering to track-data.

Hang on, its not just a track. it has cars as well.

Then you might need to focus on Gamedata/Shared as some files could have been overwritten or missing a shader.
Best way to see is checking the dates of the files and see if anything is close to the date you installed Pikes.

Once found, I have no idea how to fix it, but it could be pointing in the right direction :)

the heading of the pop up box is "gMotor 2 error" if that helps pinpoint the problem.

the file mentioned in the popup box is indeed in the gamedaata/shared folder and folder appearsd to be modified on same day as install but faulty file referenced is not modified and has older date

i have searched for the files on the internet and the computer but no luck. anyone ? its driving me nuts as i cant race nad have a friend coming round to drive it shortly.

Hang on, its not just a track. it has cars as well.

Then you might need to focus on Gamedata/Shared as some files could have been overwritten or missing a shader.
Best way to see is checking the dates of the files and see if anything is close to the date you installed Pikes.

Once found, I have no idea how to fix it, but it could be pointing in the right direction :)

Last edited:
found the SSTR files. they are part of the initialD AE86 mod i installed last week but un-installed this mod as did not like it. rfactor was fine after uninstall.

tried to reinstall again to fix the quest for the SSTR fil but got same message on SSTR files after full instalation of the initialD AE86 mod (inculding SSTR files which i overwrote the existing SSTR folder when i -reinstalled)

After getting the same SSTR message, i deleted all the initial D AE86 files again game data, vehicles, sound, shared, UIdata, rfm, music, etc and rfactor still shows the SSTR error message.

I am confused as these SSTR dont belong to rfactor regular install and only came with this initialD AE86 mod so removing all including initialD AE86 rfm files shoudl then default rfactor back to standard rfactor rfm or previous use or something right ?

confused

Last edited:
I'm not sure, I think some mods sometimes alter files in a way we cannot pinpoint, something is overwritten and causes rfactor to get confused.
And some mods don't get along either.

If you can't find the issue a new install will be the final solution. but before that I would search in google with 'rfactor .vsh error' , 'gMotor2 error'
there are quite a few discussions and solutions out there but I think you would pinpoint a possible solution quicker then I would.

But what I've seen so far:
Testing with different DirectX settings. (rFactor/rF Config.exe)
Put in the original commonmaps.mas & terrain.tdf , you can get them from the rF file repository: http://files.imagespaceinc.com/
(they go in Locations)

Did you remove the .HAT files(s) related to Pikes Peak?

Back