Question about brakes

vitamin

I often find older cars to have way too good brakes making car to slow down far too quickly. So I was wondering if I could change this somehow? Could somebody tell me please how to do it?

In the *.hdv file of the car, change the value of the line "BrakeTorque=".
The lower the value, the weaker the brakes.
But take care that you use the same value for both wheels on each axle.
And every wheel has it's own section in the hdv, so you have to change 4 values.
And not to forget:
Changing the *hdv-file will cause online-mismatches!

I'd recommend setting the power wheel on the rear axle to double the braketorque of the other side

troll-face-sticker_9ba2f.jpg

Redapg's reply will certainly reduce the braking power. However, even older cars typically are capable of locking their wheels. To reduce braking power you should in theory also reduce braking grip. This is defined in the tyre file. And since tyres typically have similar lateral grip to longitudinal grip, you should reduce that too.

TBH I'd live with the current physics or drive a mod you feel is right.

But take care that you use the same value for both wheels on each axle.

Well i've sucessfully managed to mimic un-calibrated brakes just by setting different values for each wheel that replicates the same feeling like in an old used car.
Just offset the values by a close marging otherwise it will feel like a carrousel.

However, even older cars typically are capable of locking their wheels. To reduce braking power you should in theory also reduce braking grip. This is defined in the tyre file. And since tyres typically have similar lateral grip to longitudinal grip, you should reduce that too.

Strongly agree, but which one is the right parameter for setting the longitudinal grip over the new tire model ? SlidingAdhesionCurve ?

Thank you very much guys for great response to my question. As for 'BrakeTorque=' - I lowered these values a bit (~200) but still I don't like it. And I also checked others cars and noticed that some have higher values than mine but their brakes are weaker (longer braking distance). Is it because of this braking grip maybe that David Wright mentioned? BTW, please tell me how to change that parameter?

I'd recommend setting the power wheel on the rear axle to double the braketorque of the other side
Could you be more specific please?

Longer braking distance over a car with a greater value set over the BrakeTorque= parameter could be possible if:

1) Less longitudinal grip is set on the tyre definition file (several parameters are involved)
2) The vehicle is heavier in HDV.[GENERAL].Mass
3) If HDV.BrakePressureSetting (and HDV.BrakePressureRange) are less
4) If the current temperature set on HDV.BrakeResponseCurve is not near the optimal when you test the vehicle

As yo can see there are several parameters that plays a key role if you are going to compare braking distance.

Keep testing values over the BrakeTorque= parameter, for example set it to 0 or near and then step up to adchieve the desired behavior. I think It's the easiest way.

And forget what Guy Moulton has wrote ... it's a failed attempt to make a funny joke.

Thank you very much dandar for your input. I'll play around with this BrakeTorque values but I'm not sure if it's gonna be enough to make things right. BTW, could you tell me please what actually means all those values below?

BrakePressureRange=(0.80, 0.02, 11)
BrakePressureSetting=10

I also checked the tires model file but it's a big mess for me... I mean I can't even guess what is what:/

EDIT:
I noticed that some cars have BrakeTorqueAI parameter included in their hdv files and some don't. Is it important for offline racing?

Last edited:
If I recall correctly ...

BrakePressureRange=(0.50, 0.05, 11) 'Min brake pressure in pct %(,) Increment/decrement step in pct %(,) How many steps

Human explanation:
50% will be your minimum brake pressure (,) you could increase or decrease each step by %5 (,) and you can increase a total of 11 times the min brake pressure.

Final result:
You can change the pressure setting from %50 up to %105.

And BrakePressureSetting=10 means load the car by default with a BrakePressureRange at 100%.

BrakeTorqueAI adjustment is also recomended if you are going to race the AI offline, just copy & paste the same value from BrakeTorque ... only if you feel that the AI brakes way more than a human could possible do ... then decrease the value in BrakeTorqueAI

Capisce ? :D

Thank you once again dandar - it's all clear now:) I decreased BrakeTorque values some more and it feels much better now. BTW, these values should be a bit higher for front wheels than rear if car is FWD and the other way round if car is RWD - am I right?

On a side note - is there any tutorial/guide on car physics somewhere? I have a strange feeling that I've just opened pandora's box, as I looked inside that hdv file;)

At first i have to say that this:

...... As yo can see there are several parameters that plays a key role if you are going to ......

is the most important thing in most cases when you try to change something in any direction.
It's normally not done with "change the value XYZ into XXZ" and all is fine. ;)

I think all of us made a long way to learn und understand the behaviour of rFactor and how to influence it and that the learning will never end :)

But to answer your question about a "guide" for rFactor physics, maybe THIS site is interesting for you. Especially the Physics Glossary.

BTW, these values should be a bit higher for front wheels than rear if car is FWD and the other way round if car is RWD - am I right?

Is not quite straight forward. Brake torque depends on the brake systems installed. Let's say that if your car has a mixed brake technology (ex: disk brake at front and drum brake at rear) then you will want to set different values.

rFactor simulates pretty well the weight displacement when you hit hard the brake, so you don't need to consider different values based on the traction wheels. One exception could be if the car has a front/rear weight distribution greater than 60/40 or 40/60.

If you want to try the weight displacement, go to belgium and test you brakes over the longest straight.
1 test: brake hard and constantly until a complete stop
2 test, speed up and brake hard then try pumping quickly the pedal two or three times until a complete stop

Then you may find that pumping is more efficient way to stop the car in a shorter distance (sometimes), and that's due to the weight displacement (HDV.[GENERAL].CGRearRange) in part.

I've remembered some excel sheets that could be handy for your BrakeTorque calculations almost with perfect accuracy.

The sheets are available at 6967-Let-s-talk-about-brakes also there is plenty and excelent information about the brakes.

Jtbo is the man you are looking for ;D

Back