[Question] Cost of rFactor-Derived Simulators

TChapman500

I've noticed that a few simulators are derived from rFactor (Sim Raceway and ARCA SimRacing to be specific, NASCAR SimRacing seems to be derived from a pre-rFactor simulator). How much does it cost to make one of these rFactor derived simulators? I assume that since there are simulators out there that are obviously derived from rFactor, that there must be a legal way to do it.

And by derived, I mean that the rFactor engine is used as a base and is then modified to suite the simulator's needs (eg: adding commands to the .rFm or .gdb files that would otherwise not be there, and are completely useless with an unmodified rFactor engine) by directly modifying the .exe and/or a dependent .dll.

ISI sells its engine to other developers too: they purchase the license to use gMotor. That's how GameStockCar, GTR 2 and GTL where realized too. If a developer doesn't have enough experience (or money and time) to build its own engine, then he can choose to purchase the ISI package and modify it to fit his will.
I don't know anything about prices, though.

I'm curious - how much is the price (if it is not forbidden to publicly tell that)?

Considering that the ISI staff have not replied to this thread telling me what the cost is (I had to send an email to get a response), I assume that it's not okay for me to tell (I have asked the ISI staff if my assumption is correct).

I actually just didn't see this.

It's well out of the range of most people who ask (as it should be, it's giving you quite a head-start), but I'd rather not post it in an open forum as everyone, including competitors, can see that. Feel free to email me if you wanted a serious quote: timw@imagespaceinc.com

Back