R factor stops working

SJL

Hi,

For some reason my copy of R factor has just stopped working. Gets to the mini screen, just before full screen, then Windows says, R factor stopped working, gives me message it will find what the problem is & then closes. I use Windows 7. :(

Do you start the game over a shortcut?
If not, create one.

Then rightclick on the shortcut and change the line target: (for example):
from
F:Games\rFactor\rFactor.exe
into
F:\rFactor_4W7\rFactor.exe -trace=30

Then save the changing and start the game over this shortcut.

If you are lucky the rfactor.exe worked so long that a tracefile was created.
You can find it in the game folder at ..\UserData\LOG and its name is "trace.txt"

If you got one you should see at what point rFactor crashed.
That would give you the information what went wrong ;)

I try & do that & Windows doesn't recognize where its going, it makes the same argument "make sure the path & file name are correct."

It doesn't even make to the intro. Would it be worth just trying to uninstall r factor & then reinstall r factor?

A fresh installation is always a good choice when an old one crashes suddenly "without a reason".
Sometimes installed mods or tracks don't work together or you've installed a bad structured Mod/track or.. or.. or...
There are so many possibilities.

Try a new installation, that should normally solve the problem.
By the way, you can create as many parallel installations from the game as you want.
So you can use 1 installation for each series you drive, for example.
That helps preventing from crashes. ;)

I try & do that & Windows doesn't recognize where its going, it makes the same argument "make sure the path & file name are correct.".......

You have to delete the " at the beginning and end of the path, then it works.

Last edited:
Did you install something recently? a mod/track/plugin perhaps. Its fine to re-install rf but if the real problem is a faulty mod then the problem will just re-appear.

You have to delete the " at the beginning and end of the path, then it works.

I tried that & it still doesn't work, just comes up with the same thing over & over again. Denstjiro: I did, but I went through & deleted all the stuff that I knew either didn't work & that was slightly faulty. I may need someone off the ISI staff to help.

I tried that & it still doesn't work, just comes up with the same thing over & over again.....

That is strange. Notice: you have to make a space between the ...rfactor.exe and the -trace=....

Right: ...rfactor.exe -trace=....
Wrong:...rfactor.exe-trace=....

That has to work.

Did the same crash happen with a fresh installation?
If yes, try the following:

Get the latest DirectX9 Version, from HERE for example and install it over your existing DX Version.

Maybe a Windows Update or something like that crashed a DX9 component that rFactor needs to run.

That is strange. Notice: you have to make a space between the ...rfactor.exe and the -trace=....

Right: ...rfactor.exe -trace=....
Wrong:...rfactor.exe-trace=....

That has to work.

Did the same crash happen with a fresh installation?
If yes, try the following:

Get the latest DirectX9 Version, from HERE for example and install it over your existing DX Version.

Maybe a Windows Update or something like that crashed a DX9 component that rFactor needs to run.

I went in & tried all that, still the same message. I haven't tried a re install yet, my dad thinks he can fix it.We currently have direct X 11 or 12, so i think were fine on that.

Back