Recalibrating wheel during gameplay (not only)

MaXyM

I want to describe some very frustrating issue which back from time to time. It affects a lot of users of 900* wheels of Logitech

I wrote about it to Logitech support and got no response.
Maybe some one of you knows 100% solution.

What happens?
In some unpredicted moments, the wheel is going to restart. Power led start to blinking, game stops to responding on controller movement. After a few seconds wheel starts to recalibrate itself (turning lock to lock)
Interesting is, that it may happens even if game is not run. Even if you don;t touch computer or its peripherals. It is unpredictable and untraceable - system log shows nothing except running service for checking user rights to start something... which is something - it is not written, probably USB or Logitech wheel driver)

Of course if happened during gameplay, car ends up crashed on barriers.

On what systems
From my observation - it may happen on every one. Maybe it depends on some hardware, especially USB controller chipset. Don't know.

I have experienced it on different mobos (Epox 8rda3+, Asus P5KC, Gigabyte P55USB), different wheels (DFP and G25) and different OSes (WinXP and Win7).

hopefully it is not to often, but there are a few my colleagues who has crashed during race just because wheel hanged up.

how often

Hard to say. Sometimes none issues through a month. Sometimes 2 times daily even playing musing and cleaning a living room.
There are some timespans where the issues are reported often by users on our forum. For example 2 years ago from autum till spring. Looks like we have another peek now.

Probably solution

I suspect something related to USB chipsets. But I'm not sure. A few weeks ago I do some changes in connections to USB ports. I put wheel on USB3 controller, all others to USB2 one. Since this I have no issues. But I don't know if it is coincidence or that found solution.

Probably it is not about stability of power line, because wheels don;t start after plug off/in power supply

If someone have experience with this problem, it would be very useful, because it may help a lot of people.

best regards

Last edited:
I would say it's most certainly a USB issue. I currently have a similar issue with my on board USB controller, work intermittently and very annoying with a keyboard. Needless to say I bought a USB pci card and everything works great with it.

Maybe the windows option "Allow the Computer to turn off this device to save power" is activated for the USB device. So check your Device Manager.

No it is not. And it was checked by any player who had/has this problem.

Back