Replay export problem

[NAR]Steve

I am trying to export hot lap replays in rFactor, and with DivX chosen in my .PLR file, it will get through the audio export, but then about 1/3 of the way through video export, the game crashes to desktop. If I choose Xvid as the codec, I get the exported replay, but no sound. The same thing happens in Win XP, and Win 7 64 bit. Any ideas what I may be doing wrong? Is there another codec I can use?

Does it work with the default cvid fourcc? That's really the only one we support.

That said, many people use different codecs without issue (myself included). It's been a number of years since I've seen this issue, so going from memory I can only offer the following suggestions. Perhaps other users have some better suggestions (and a better memory).
----------------------
Typically this issue is due to missing/improperly installed codecs or codecs which do not support the sound format (i.e., free or basic encoders which only support lower quality audio encoding). If the video codec is set to use a specific audio setting for which no audio codec exists (eg. mp3 etc) the result would also likely be no sound.

I also remember one issue where someone having music files in the Music folder that were in an odd format which could not be converted as background music created the same situation, so I'd try emptying your rFactor/Music folder to see if that helps.

You might want to run dxdiag and test the directSound input page( s ). If you find any errors, you can address them at the system level.

Another thing to look at would be changing the audio sample rate by right-clicking on your volume control in the system tray, clicking on "what you hear" in recording (and do the same for output) and select a lower sample rate (such as 16 bit 44100Hz). Also, if you can use the video codec's setup feature to adjust the settings directly, try making changes there.

If you have a sound card with special effects (EAX, SVM, CMS, etc), try disabling those effects/enhancements.

Try updating your codec (see if there is a newer and/or more enhanced version online to what you are using and reinstall it).

Not sure about the crash but the audio problem can normally be fixed by clicking export, wait 2 secs or so and then hold the X key to cancel the export, then click export to start over. I personally export in H.264 using FFDShow. FourCC=FFDS. You have to use an older release of FFDS though.

This is the last known build that works correctly with rFactor:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffd...s/ffdshow_beta6_rev2527_20081219.exe/download

Thanks for the tip!! That codec did work, but unfortunately the video quality is pretty poor, but, at least I have sound now !! I may just bite the bullet and pay for Fraps, I captured a 30 sec video with the free version, and it looked REALLY good.

Did you configure FFDShow to export in H264 and also, what bitrate are you using?

I may just bite the bullet and pay for Fraps, I captured a 30 sec video with the free version, and it looked REALLY good.

Yes. fraps is a good choice. But remember, that fraps codec is loose-less while other you probably tried exporting replay are not. So, just grabbed video by fraps looks superb (1:1 to original scene) but the file is really large.

They both has their pros and cons. I just do quick and dirty exports without any fancy camera work. Normally just cockpit view. So FRAPS is just to much work for me. FRAPS produces better looking video but the Export feature isn't that bad. I wouldn't say it produces "pretty poor" video. It really depends on what codec and bitrate you select in FFDShow. Make sure you change the export resolution in the PLR file. I export at 1280x720. Here is one of my exports for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bMonaaQAQY

Here are some pros and cons for both.

FRAPS Pros:
- Looks identical to the original footage.
- Allows for more camera angles.
- Captures tire scrub on live sessions.
- Captures head movement on live sessions.

FRAPS Cons:
- Produces massive files.
- Required post processing to compress the files.
- Requires a faster machine.
- Takes longer to create because it is a two step process. Record, then compress.

Export Pros:
- Produces compressed files.
- One step process. Compresses while it exports.
- Has very low CPU requirements. It will take longer to export on a slower machine but the final product is silky smooth.
- One click export and your ready to upload to YouTube.

Export Cons:
- Limited camera angles.
- Doesn't capture tire scrubs sounds (replays only have tire skid not scrub).
- Doesn't look as nice as FRAPS. Lacks AA for example.
- Doesn't capture head movement.

Did you configure FFDShow to export in H264 and also, what bitrate are you using?

Sound output is 16 bits 44,100 hz, and I am trying to find the "export" tab in FFDShow, but don't see it. Where might I find it?

Sound output is fixed as 16bit 44.1khz PCM. It isn't possible to change that. You could pass it through another utility to transcode it to AAC and store it in a different container if you wanted to. You should find a folder on your start menu called FFDShow and in that you should see "VFW configuration". Run that then set it to look something like this:
2010-03-29_061616.png

Back