rf Config.exe crashes after video card switch

johnboy

I recently replaced my nVidia 8800 GT video card with an ATI HD 6850. I uninstalled all the nvidia software before the switch, and I'm running the very latest ATI drivers. I play only 3 games: rFactor, GTR2, and NASCAR Racing 2003 Season. GTR2 and NR2003 are working fine, but I can't get rFactor to work. The rf Config.exe utility crashes every time I try to run it since the video card switch.

Edit: Box is Core i7 920 x58, 6 GB RAM, Win7 x64.

Please help!

Last edited:
Try this: locate the file config.ini in your rfactor folder, (backup it, if you feel like it) edit it, and delete the line starting with VideoGUID, plus next 12 lines; then save, close, and try to run rf config again

byyyyyyyye

what a pity!

have you tried using "older" ATI drivers?

byyyyyyyyyye

Was trying to avoid older drivers, especially since GTR2 and NR2003 work fine. Might be my only option, however. Thanks...

Is that all you changed is the video card? You didn't happen to reload the OS or upgrade to a newer OS at the same time did you? I was going to suggest what canastos suggested. Also, if you are running Vista or above, be sure to run rFactor and rF Config as admin.

So far I've tried Catalyst 12.4 (latest) and 11.12 (December). rf Config is being run as admin, and I've even tried XP SP3 compatibility mode, but it still crashes. All I changed was the video card and drivers. Old card was an nVidia 8800 GT. I did a complete uninstall of nVidia drivers, shutdown the box, changed the card, rebooted, and installed Catalyst 12.4. Everything worked great except rFactor. I uninstalled Catalyst 12.4 completely, rebooted, installed 11.12, rebooted, and rf Config still crashes (everything else still works fine). My DirectX is up to date, as far as I can tell. What next? Older still drivers?? I know others are running fine on 11.12 and 12.4, so it seems like it must be something else.

Well, at this moment, the only suggestion I have is to replace rf Config, maybe the file is, for any unknown reason, corrupted???; or even a complete reinstall of rfactor

keep us updated ;)

byyyyyyyye

You don't have any d3d9.dll proxy dlls in you rFactor root do you? Maybe one of them is causing problems.

Also, have you tried a fresh rFLite install with no mods to see if rF Config crashes on that too?

I did have a d3d9.dll. I can't remember why it's there, but after renaming it to *.bak, rf config is working again. Thank you, Noel!

That file is there because of any plugin, probably rfDyn; I guess after having got a proper configuration with rf Config you could rename it back (if you are interested in the plugin working, of course, haha)

byyyyyyyyyyye

Back