rF Dedicated Server Specs and Tips?

zild1221

I have done a little searching, but for the life of me could not find anything stating some specs for running an rF dedicated server.

Anyone who has run leagues in the past, do you know how taxing the dedicated server is for a certain amount of people?

I am planning on running a few leagues. All of the races are on different dates so there will only be one race server up at a time. I intend to have 30+ cars on track at once. My server specs are:

Q9550 @2.83 (Had it at 4GHz, could go back if need be)
4GB DDR2-1066
2x 500gb HDD's RAID 0

Also, if you guys have any suggestions on things to tweak to make the server run best, I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

You have plenty. More than plenty. lol

+1

I've hosted league races with up to 36 cars on track using an old Intel Celeron with 512mb ram & windows 2000 that I had lying around at the time (can't remember the Ghz speed but it wasn't much). The rf dedi requirements are quite low. Generally the bottleneck / problems comes from internet bandwith limitations rather than server specs. I was lucky enough to be able to sit my server at & connect into a Businesses internet connection at the time ;)

Well then, good to hear. I was just worried running it through Wine that it would eat up too much resources. Also, I actually have the server box at my store in the back room. 80/40 connection there so we don't have to worry about the bandwidth.

I tried running the dedi through wine once, didn't have any success :/ (rfcactor clients couldn't connect succesfully)

Mind you I'm very much a noob with wine and there's no doubt been improvements with updates since I tried so you may have more luck hopefully

Edit: here's a link showing others had similar issues at the time.. as I say it might be resolved now with wine updates

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=10930&iTestingId=23156

Last edited:
What i did when i start host server was host server on same pc i drive with.
Dedicated server takes 50 % of my cpu AMD , and when i start rfactor and join my own server all drivers in the server get high ping because i host server on same pc i also should run rfactor with.
I just used same username to host and play with and i only have 1 pc and no router so i give up host server.

After 6 months i get a better faster pc so i think that i may testing host server again, now i have 2 pc so i setup pc 2 slower pc to host server the problem i get now was that i must use a router so both pc can have internet.
Now it have come out a better dedicated exe called SD so i start a server and amd cpu takes only 2 % for dedicated exe great i open rfactor ports in router and test joining server from pc 1.. succes ;) .

I get 10 ping when i check in game and behind dedicated server i see ping 2 nice. so i host server like that for 3 4 weeks.
Then i start test what is possible host servers. i not have so good upload then only 1 MB , so i start tweaking the multiplayer ini file so the server should be respond better.

I found that if i edit Max Data Per Client="128" // that not drain my upload speed makes servers laggy. i also see that on dedicated server % upload when that was over 75-80 % servers start lagging with 10 drivers on server.
So important thing is cpu offcourse but more the upload speed i get checking % upload that deicated server say to see how many drivers i can allow on my server.
2 months after that test i get better upload 3 MB great i can maybe host more then 1 server now i test with 12 servers ;)

But my router was bad in that case i must open 3 items per server ! router only allowed 20 items how do now ?
I test edit ports i have add for 1 server with start and end port 12 nr higher on all 3 items 34447 i use on pc 1 that i drive with so i set for pc 2 34448 start port and end on 34460 here
And test great all servers i could join with just add 3 items :) but servers could not joined by ip only from lobbylist.

Then after 1 year i could update my speed more with fiber cable 100/10 MB.
Now servers take less % upload with 25 drivers in server it takes 25 % i use that for 6 months.
Then i upgrade upload speed to 100 MB now a server have 1% upload with 25 drivers on it so the upload speed help much still router and drivers could only join from lobbylist.

Last week i test with a switch instead of router wow all problems with use a router was gone no limit open items in a router so now drivers can enter by ip.

O this message was long anyway the upload speed is the main thing host server and low upload speed edit Max Data Per Client="128" to 64 48 32 and test server i always set server in custom mode not Lan or Dsl.

See more in the post here usefull tweaking in rfactor https://community.racesimcentral.ne...-usefull-in-Tweaking-rfactor?highlight=tweaks

View attachment 253View attachment 254View attachment 255View attachment 256View attachment 257

Good luck

Back