rf suddenly won't work!!.....HELP!!

aidylad

I'm having a strange problem with rfactor at the moment. I loaded rfactor and for some reason it took me to the new player screen and asked me to create a new profile....WTF!!.. I already have a profile. I had no option but to create a new one and then see if I can choose my own profile once in game. But after entering a new name and pressing accept, it would not move down to the next field for me to enter date of birth.
So now I had no option but to end the programme from the task manager. I then had a look in the "Program Files\rFactor\UserData" and noticed that it had created the new player profile but the TMP/controller.ini/GAL and multiplayer.ini files are all 0kb in size. After trying a couple of things I ended up installing a fresh rflite and had the same problem. I then uninstalled both rfactor installs and ran into another problem. I couldn't delete the new player profile from my original rf installation. Strange thing is, is that the new player profile folder was completely empty, I just could not get rid of it. So then I went and did a de-fragmentation of my hdd (it was a mess,45% fragmentation.Much better now). Anyway, I reinstalled rfactor and are having the same problem, can't get past the new player profile screen.
Anyone have any idea why this is happening??

thnx.

Last edited:
I had a similar issue, it turned out to be UAC. To turn off UAC just click start then type UAC in the little search box then hit enter. Then just drag that bar all the way down and hit ok.... this is assuming you have win 7.

Thanks Dave but I'm on XP

Strange coz when I check the player frofile folder the PLR file seems to have been replaced with an empty TMP file.

Sounds like you don't have access to write to the UserData directory. This is normally a Vista/Win7 problem due to UAC limiting access privileges. Is your user account an admin? I guess you could create a folder called something like rFactor in the "My Documents" (surly you have access to that folder) then open config.ini and edit SaveDir to point to this new folder.

Noel, you are a star!! It worked. No idea why I have to do this but I can live with it.

Thanks!!

Back