rFactor 2 reporting GTX 980 has only 1617MB of Video RAM. What am I doing wrong?

Christian

Hi All,

I have just upgraded my GPU to to a PNY GTX980 but I am getting very low FPS (~10 fps) in rFactor 2 with settings turned up to high . The machine has a 3 year old i5 processor, and 20GB RAM (2 x 8GB + 2 x 2GB), it is running Win 7 64Bit, off a fresh Samsung SSD.

The GPU is driving a triple screen setup at 5076 x 1200, so I have realistic expectations regarding how 'maxed out' I can go, but even turning most things down to Medium, and turning effects, shadows etc off barely yields 30 fps. I see some improvements with Multiview turned off, but not massive gains.

After scratching my head for a while, I noticed that rFator 2 is reporting that the GTX980 only has 1617MB of video RAM. This seems wrong, I expected it to report around 4GB.

Do any of you have some insight which might help me figure out what is wrong? Does this look like an rFactor 2 issue, or do you think that it is more likely a BIOS/Operating System/MoBo/PCIE problem?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Christian

I have a GTX980ti with 6GB of VRAM. The config.ini file reports 1577 RAM for me. I have no FPS issues, though.

I have a GTX980ti with 6GB of VRAM. The config.ini file reports 1577 RAM for me. I have no FPS issues, though.

Thanks for taking time to reply. That is interesting, and helps me to focus on what else might be crippling my frame rate. I think I might need to look to BIOS settings next.

If anyone else has any experience around this then I would be appreciative of your input.

Cheers,

Christian

Could there be an issue with RF2 and the different spec RAM sticks you have installed? Try pulling the 2gb sticks out and testing.

Not to get side-tracked from the issue...but this post brings up an interesting point.
I recently had my own computer case opened for cleaning and decided to do some optimization.
I have seven internal SATA ports (SATA1, SATA2-U, SATA2-L are Intel X79 3Gb/s with support for RAID 0/1/5/10.
(SATA3-U, SATA3-L are Intel X79 6Gb/s with support for RAID 0/1/5/10.
(SATA4-U, SATA4-L are ASM1061 with ACHI support.
Initially my SSD where Win10-64 resides, was connected to SATA4 as you'd expect.
Moving it to SATA3 yielded massive increases in read and write speed.
The additional smoothness in all applications and games followed.
Maybe the OP should have a look at his settings to see if he has a similar configuration.

You misunderstood something, he is talking about GPU ram..

Agreed that the GPU is misreporting ram in rF2, but John is thinking that the 20 GB of RAM (physical 2x8 GB and 2x2 GB) could be a CPU bottleneck because they might be mismatched. It's simple to test by pulling the 2x2 GB.

Test the GPU with a single screen in rF2 to confirm that it functions fine in a "normal" environment?

I made the mistake once of just replacing a 660 with a 770 without first uninstalling drivers. The 770 appeared to work perfectly fine in graphics tests but gave worse performance than the 660 in rf2.

This problem could not be fixed until I reverted to the 660, uninstalled drivers, then put 770 back and installed new drivers. If you have done something similar it could be a driver problem.

Agreed that the GPU is misreporting ram in rF2, but John is thinking that the 20 GB of RAM (physical 2x8 GB and 2x2 GB) could be a CPU bottleneck because they might be mismatched. It's simple to test by pulling the 2x2 GB.

Exactly, thank you. I've been playing with (and building) PC's since 1992 and have seen a whole lot of weird stuff. Something could have been chugging along perfectly fine until just 1 variable is changed, and the mongrel that falls down isn't what was changed. Computers are like women - completely and utterly in-fathomable.

Not to get side-tracked from the issue...but this post brings up an interesting point.
I recently had my own computer case opened for cleaning and decided to do some optimization.
I have seven internal SATA ports (SATA1, SATA2-U, SATA2-L are Intel X79 3Gb/s with support for RAID 0/1/5/10.
(SATA3-U, SATA3-L are Intel X79 6Gb/s with support for RAID 0/1/5/10.
(SATA4-U, SATA4-L are ASM1061 with ACHI support.
Initially my SSD where Win10-64 resides, was connected to SATA4 as you'd expect.
Moving it to SATA3 yielded massive increases in read and write speed.
The additional smoothness in all applications and games followed.
Maybe the OP should have a look at his settings to see if he has a similar configuration.

+1

Yes if its designated Sata Express use it

Even sometimes just dividing a SSD and Sata into different controllers can improve things.

It can be as little as a lightness in the mouse clicks to faster boots and transfer.

Another thing I will bet you, a lot of people using SSD's for their operating systems are oblivious to, they do not need IntelRST installed and it can even slow booting, transfer and process.

Solved

It looks like it was indeed the RAM. I pulled the 2 x 2GB sticks as suggested, and the improvement in frame rate was immediate. I am now getting 55-60 FPS with everything set to high with Multi-view turned off. This drops but is still usable with Multi-view turned on.

Thanks for the help,

Christian

It's fine here.... Asus Poseidon GTX980...

l6B5z1P.jpg

Back