rFactor crashes when attempting race

Henry Kelsall

Hi all,

Recently my rFactor has been behaving quite oddly. It works perfectly in every area, except if I want to race. No matter which car or track I attempt a race on, whenever I click the race button i get a message saying 'rfactor.exe has encountered a problem' and the game then closes after i click the 'cancel' button. It has only just started doing this recently and only If I want to race. I'm running the game, the 2008 special edition, on windows 7 enterprise N.

Normally such things don't happen without a reason.
Something must have been changed on your machine.

Do you run windows update automatically?
Same question for AV software (which one do you use?)
Did you install new software shortly before the problem showed up the first time?

At first i would suggest to install the latest version of directx9 again. You can get it HERE.
Second thing is to make a trace. Maybe you can see a reason in the trace-file.

Did you install new software shortly before the problem showed up the first time?

At first i would suggest to install the latest version of directx9 again. You can get it HERE.

Windows update is not automatic, I decide when to install updates and what to install. And I use microsoft security essentials anti virus but also have malwarebytes pro as well. And no new software was installed before the problem appeared. I'll try directx9 again, and how do I make a trace?

Here is a trace file, doesn't make much sense to me i'm afraid, can you deduce anything from it? File is at the link https://www.mediafire.com/?0khdkjvfa8c666z

Try this:
In your rFactor Gamefolder you find a folder called "Plugins".
In this folder are 3 files with RFE at the beginning of the filename and a folder called RFE.
Take the 3 files and the folder and move them to (e.g.) the desktop, so that they are not in the folder anymore, then try to race.

Try this:
In your rFactor Gamefolder you find a folder called "Plugins".
In this folder are 3 files with RFE at the beginning of the filename and a folder called RFE.
Take the 3 files and the folder and move them to (e.g.) the desktop, so that they are not in the folder anymore, then try to race.

Didn't work I'm afraid :(

I have found if I have the fazebox plugin active when the game loads this does happen with some mods. I make sure to ctrl space (turns off plugin) before exiting the game helps fix the CTD on loading.
the problem only started with me on build 590

I have found if I have the fazebox plugin active when the game loads this does happen with some mods. I make sure to ctrl space (turns off plugin) before exiting the game helps fix the CTD on loading.
the problem only started with me on build 590

If I'm right, build 590 is rFactor 2? We are talking about rFactor 1 here.

Another try:
Move ALL content of the folder Plugins to the Desktop, EXCEPT the folder "MILES" and the 3 files "NetCommUtilPlugin.dll", "RaceCastPlugin.dll" and "rFactorTrackIRPlugin.dll", they have to be left there.

And additionally, look if there is any "d3d9.dll" in your rFactor Gamefolder. If yes,move it to the desktop also.

If all that don't helps, i would suggest to make a fresh install of rFactor into a new folder and install one mod/track after another into it.
And test if all works fine after installing every new one!

I've seen this before, the problem was because they had installed F1RFT, and rFactor kept crashing when you dont use a F1RFT DRS modified track.

Take the F1RFT plugin out, and then you can use non DRS modified tracks.
:)

I've seen this before, the problem was because they had installed F1RFT, and rFactor kept crashing when you dont use a F1RFT DRS modified track.

Take the F1RFT plugin out, and then you can use non DRS modified tracks.
:)

Sorted it! It was the rfactor dynamic hud for some reason :) thanks for the help all!

Back