"rFactor has stopped Working" Windows ... etc.

conticreative

I have several rfactor installations in a directory called C:\games\rFactor
and there I ahve rf1
rf2
rf3 etc.

Everything has been working fine for the longest time. I had one installation where I would test all my mods before installing them in my main installation plus I had some other rfactors for various leagues, etc.

Suddenly one of them started giving me the error "rFactor has stopped working" as rfactor started. More precisely after displaying the small square with the logo and loading the large window. All other installations worked fine though.

Eventually, one by one they all started displaying the same behavior. Eventually today my main rFactor started doing it too and the only one still working is one "clean" install I keep in the folder to duplicate as needed.

Of course, I can trash the whole thing and start fresh, but since I have not installed any mods (the only thing I installed today was a new track and it worked afterwards. It started not working a few hours later) I am really curious what it may be. It's almost has they caught something contagious.

What could create this and is there a way to have rfactor generate a start log to see what the error or cause may be?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that a couple of them instead of returning the message "rfactor has stopped working" simply load the small logo square and then simply quit. Gone.

Last edited:
I've had a similar issue, I've not played rFactor since late last year, decided to have a go again and initially it said I was not licensed, odd, I haven't uninstalled it nor done anything to to have removed the licence file. So I registered, again, and now I get the same issue as well, rFactor has stopped working.

Seems to be a few cases going around, almost as if there is some time stamp or something affecting the game, but for a game to stop working that has not been modified or even touched in about 9 months is odd.

Hmm, I just had a look and noticed that my vehicles folder has numerous mods in there, and the defaults, but the rfms only has lienz, OW and SRGP, so something kooky has happened to my rFactor folder, and presumably I will need a reinstall. Have you compared your rfms and vehicles?
All my 51 tracks are still there, so they don't appear to be have been altered, and all my CCH for about 20 mods are there too. I wonder now if the historix install we had Xmas foobarred my main rfactor install.

reinstalled over old installation, had to use up another activation again (when are they gonna release a patch to stop that?), get wheel shake and screen shake when I hit 3rd gear, tried different car, different track, same thing.

Looks like a clean reinstall is required to put everything back to default to fix this, what a pain the backside, and it keeps costing an activation, this will be my last one, which means next time I will have to wait 2 weeks for trimedia to reply, again. Time to find a crack I think.

I have deleted all my installation and did a fresh install. Strangely, it did not ask me for activation this time. I installed 3 versions of rFactor + one for HistoryX. Then I used Simlinks for the "userdata" and the "locations" folders so that all my rFactor installations use the same profile and the same track folder, saving acres of disk space.

I honestly wish that I could say exactly what went wrong, but fresh installation seems to have solved the problem and so far, over 3 weeks later, everything is still working fine.

I have deleted all my installation and did a fresh install. Strangely, it did not ask me for activation this time. I installed 3 versions of rFactor + one for HistoryX. Then I used Simlinks for the "userdata" and the "locations" folders so that all my rFactor installations use the same profile and the same track folder, saving acres of disk space.

I honestly wish that I could say exactly what went wrong, but fresh installation seems to have solved the problem and so far, over 3 weeks later, everything is still working fine.
Just odd that we had to do this despite not changing anything.

Also even after fresh install still had problems (though I left plugins and userdata folder from old installation), then remembered the grinding tranny plugin, removed it and no more stupid screen and wheel shake in 3rd+ gear. Historix seems to mess with the default rFactor installation it seems.

Back