rFactor issues

Dave Millard

I have been playin rFactor for many years, and have never encountered this..started about 4 weeks ago. First off I have one main full version of rFactor, and many rF lite versions for specific mods.
I noticed one day when I went into HistorX that my controls were not right. I went into the controls settings and remapped everything, had no problem all night. The next mod that I used after that was the new V8 Unleashed mod... he same thing happened, I had to remap everything.
The next weird thig I had happen was when I went into HistorX again was that my extra profile was loaded, I went to player and to select the correct one and it was not there. I exit rFactor and look in user data and it's there. I go back into the game and all the profiles are missing ... it is like "create a new profile" so I do.
I finally had enough, so I formatted the PC and reinstalled a fresh win 7, and all drivers and fresh rFactor.... guess what same issues.
Anyone have any idea, I would like to hear it. I am totally in the dark as to why this is happening.:(

Hi Dave, long time no see. :) Do you have UAC enabled? Maybe rF doesn't have permissions to write the controller.ini file so the changes get lost each session.

What is UAC? I haven't changed anything on that PC to make it do anything different. I had not run rFactor for the past year on my race PC while I was into the iRacing thing, but decided to go back to rFactor a bit ago... and that is when I started noticing the weirdness.
rFactor runs fine on this little pc... thats why I formatted and reinstalled everything, so I am perplexed
Good to see you Noel.. I have been hanging around the EFnet guys since returning to rF... I see a lot of the guys there.

User Access Control. It is something introduced on Vista which forces all admins to run with reduced privileges. If you try to do something that requires admin rights it will prompt you to make sure it is okay. It is an attempt to limit the effectiveness of viruses but causes problems with older games like rFactor which try to write to areas of the disk that are off limits to non-admins. You can either turn off UAC or right click on rFactor and select 'Run as admin'. To turn off UAC just click start then type UAC in the little search box then hit enter. Then just drag that bar all the way down and hit ok.

I check in on the efnet forums almost daily. I noticed all the guys migrated over there. It is great to see everyone is still racing together though. Even if it isn't at SRRS. I have been doing an endurance league now called VLMS-ERL. It has been a blast. We ran in the GT class last season and finished 4th in the points. This season starts next month and we moved up to LMP2. The competition there is fierce. The guys there are very personable like SRRS. They are also very clean. Fields are around 40 cars. We race from 4 - 12 hour races. Basically every other month. Each team has to have at least 2 drivers with a max of 4. We have 3 guys on our team. The endurance thing has been WAY more fun then I ever expected. We even have live broadcasts with REALLY good commentary.

Check out our team here:
https://www.facebook.com/LostWrenchRacing

Thanks Noel! You're a champ, that did it ...so simple. The reason I never noticed it before, all the old installs of rFactor I have on my race PC were installed on separate hard drives under win XP. I never changed any settings until recently when I added a couple of shifters... and installed a few new mods.:D:D:D

Back