rFactor Version 1255(F) & Vehicle Input Settings

otta56

Hello,

Does rFactor version 1255(F) still use the vehicle input settings mentioned in the change log from version 1150? "Vehicle inputs are now read on a thread at over 100Hz for better precision (option can be turned off with Fixed Rate Inputs="0" in controller.ini file)." I did not find any entries in either the .plr or controller.ini files for this setting.

Is there a limit for the controller update speed can be set to or is it a binary "0" and "1" setting?

I would like to synchronize the vehicle inputs and graphics frame rates through the .plr and controller.ini files to reduce stuttering and controller input lag. My current cpu and video card combination are a Sandybridge 2600k and AMD 6990 4GB so there should be enough resources to provide smooth gameplay rather than the stuttering I am experiencing in corners and on pit row.

The max framerate in the .plr file is currently set to 60; no vsynch; Level 2 AA, 8XAF; Eyefinity @ 6000X1920; multiview enabled.

Thanks for any suggestions.

The quoted setting is in the controller.ini, 4th line in the [ General Controls ] section. I'm not sure you'd notice any improvement in switching it off to be honest, limiting it to 60Hz with the screen will introduce up to 1/60th second 'lag' in much the same way as a 100+Hz thread syncing with the display might create the same sort of lag - in either case pretty minor. Telemetry runs at 90Hz by the way, so limiting to 60Hz actually reduces your resolution there.

If you are experiencing stuttering then obviously your machine isn't keeping the 60Hz going - I would suggest the issue is something else, not the controller input thread frequency. (and if the frame rate is dropping, it would probably be better to leave the controller input in its own thread - which might be why they changed that in the first place)

Vehicle Input Settings

Thanks for the information. From your reply I assume the timing thread runs independently of framerate settings in the .plr file? I haven't noticed much difference in lag times on the wheel regardless of whether the framerate setting is at "60 or "120" in the .plr file. Stuttering in corners seems unaffected by the setting too.

Yes, I believe that's why they've done it... if for some reason your frames are dropping and inconsistent, that separate thread is still getting your input positions regularly and consistently.

If you have noticeable wheel lag (ie you move the wheel and feel the on-screen wheel is lagging behind) it would probably be a graphics issue. I know we used to change a setting in the nVidia panel to set... er... prerendered frames, buffered frames, ... ??? something along those lines to 0 (default was 3) which pretty much removed the delay, but I tried that setting more recently and had the game crash my system - and these days on default settings I don't think I have noticeable lag anyway.

Framerate Stuttering on Eyefinity (or 3 screen) Setups

Thanks for the thread on the stuttering issue. None of the suggestions mentioned seem to apply as this is a new purpose built computer for rfactor. I am running an eyefinity setup with 3 1920X1200 monitors. The card is an AMD 6990 (2XGPU @ 900 Mhz & 4GB of ram). I have a 2600K cpu with 4 cores and 8 threads with 16GB of ram (DDR3 @ 1866 Mhz) so memory and cpu power should not be a problem. Process Lasso runs rFactor in gaming mode with all other processes on a lower priority so the cpu is not maxed out by other programs while running rFactor. The stuttering seems to be a drop in framerate when turning corners. On straightaways @ Toban the rfactor frame counter indicates 100FPS but in corners it will drop to 45. This behaviour is consistent for the same corners. Does the multiview setting have a performance penalty in 3 screen configurations over non multiview on three screens? Is the code optimized for Nvidia cards versus AMD? I would be willing to switch cards to ensure a consistent framerate above 60FPS. Do you have any suggestions specifically for optimizing 3 screen setups in terms of the hardware and settings required. Most reviews seem to concentrate on a single screen. I would like to be able to run rFactor 2 on three screens at smooth (60+FPS) framerates so equipment suggestions to accomplish this would be welcome.

Thanks.

I take it you are running rFactor with the +fullproc switch?

I always worry a bit about changing process priorities, a game uses a number of subsystems (graphics, audio, etc) that could be adversely affected, if you've tested with and without and using PL gives an improvement (at all times) then no worries.

You obviously have plenty of CPU and RAM, though for frame rate drops (not stuttering, which it doesn't sound like you're getting) I doubt you'll get much improvement above dual-core and 2-3 GB. You are pumping a lot of pixels with those 3 screens, I think it would be difficult to know what to expect with your GPU and settings (special effects and shadows especially, but all settings including AA) without having someone else running a similar setup to compare to. Still, 45 does seem a bit low for a GPU with that much power, and while some parts of tracks tend to be more demanding I wouldn't expect it to be every corner.

Test Results

Well, it appears that 1 6990, even overclocked, is not enough to run an Eyefinity setup of 1920X1200X3 @ full graphics settings. Multiview, when enabled, reduces framerate by 10 FPS in this configuration. Motion blur has to be turned off and shadows reduced to medium to get between 45-60 FPS @ Toban with a 25 car field (4X FSAA & 8X AF). Hopefully the code and multiscreen options in rF2 will be more efficient. Is the code written with the NVidia SDK? It seems users have few problems and more performance with NVidia cards...

Try:
Code:
Max Framerate="-60"

That will enable alternate timing which some have had success with.

I agree with Lazza on PL. With that much CPU you should have no problem with background processes. rF running everything maxed out with Max Framerate=-60 only uses 38% on my old E6420.

AMD Crossfire Stuttering in Eyefinity

As a follow up to my earlier posts, it appears that using the Radeonpro application to force supertiling in crossfire eliminates the stuttering in rFactor. Frame rates drop from 60 FPS to 30-32 FPS but imaging is now smooth in all areas of the track, particularly in corners where stuttering was most noticeable. AFR appears to be causing the stuttering.

Back