RFactor won't start except in SimRaceway

psynin

I have rfactor 1.255. Been playing for months. Recently, it stopped launching from my shortcut. It sits in task manager as a process. The memory usage stays stagnant, and does not affect processor use. If I join a race from simraceway, it starts every time. I have uninstalled the game, and reinstalled several times. The first time, I renamed the rfactor folder, reinstalled, and autostarted upon completion. It worked, and asked me to start a new profile. I did, then exited the game. I copied some gamedata files to it, and restarted. Still fine. I added RFM files; it stopped working. I started again at step one (deleting the folder and reinstalling. I cannot get it to restart at all.
Of course, since simraceway is down, I don't even know if it will start that way anymore.

Starting Rfactor

OK, some extra info if anybody from ISI looks at this. For debugging purposes, I made a new folder. I put Rfactor.exe in it, and as each missing file was identified, I added it to my test folder. It needed binkw32.dll and mss32.dll. Once I had just those 3 files in the folder, the behavior was exactly the same as if it was a full install. So, I would guess that either something in the mss32 file, or an instruction soon after is causing the problem.

Furthermore, I have renamed the trymedia folder with no changes to behavior.

@D. Painter - You do understand that this problem is with RFactor, right?

Because launching like iRacing...is not what rFactor should have to do xD

This is likely an issue with corruption (of rfactor and/or your system/registry) or a background process. Troubleshoot from a clean install by making sure you install rfactor into a new clean folder, then run rfactor using the rfactor.exe (not through a utility). If the problem persists (such as a "run once" situation), run msconfig and run as clean as possible and/or try deleting your Windows page file.

Thank you, Bee. Your suggestion worked. Don't know exactly what was causing it, but I will turn things back on slowly to narrow it down. Thanks again.

Back