I'm trying to host a dedicated server.
I openec these router doors:

34297 UDP
34397 UDP
34447 TCP

then, created a server with dedicated, following many forum's indications

well, I can find my race in the lobby list

but: WHICH IS THE PASSWORD????

I read in many forums to enter IP : port , for example 195.170.3.2:34297 but when I try to do that, I can write just untill half of the port number, I mean, there are no enough writing field

I also tried it after I disabled firewall

what did I wrong?

thanks to all

I think you mixing up here 2 different things.

The IP:port number has to be entered when you join the Server by clicking the blue "plus" button on the server-list Screen in game.

And the Password has to be entered, if you have set a server-Password at the tab of the dedicated Server procedure, where you give the Server a Name.
But then, there will a Screen show up in game, where you have to enter the Password then.

I tried

If I search using blu botton and writing IP:port, I can find my server.. and enter, but my friends don't find it
and if they try to enter by the server in the lobby list, it appears 'join timed out'

What kind of Server do you use?
Your own machine at home?

Independent of that: has the rfactor dedicated.exe full access to the internet in the firewall settings?

Would you post IP and Port?

sure, I post everything I've done

first of all, before to create dedicated.exe room, I completely turn off the firewall.. is it enough of I have to made some other modify on it?

image '1': router opened ports

image '2': dedicated settings.. as you can see, at the moment there are not passwords

image '3': if I search using IP:port I can find the room and enter... but not my friends, they don't find nothing insert my IP:port

image '4': my friends can only find the room in the lobby list, but if they try to enter, it shows the 'join timed out' windows.. and it's the same for me if I try to enter by the lobby list

that's all I've done.. have I forgot anything?

View attachment 15998

View attachment 15999

View attachment 16000

View attachment 16001

Is the Server a permanent one, open 24 h everyday?
I get no answer when i "ping" it.

And you don't have to turn off the Windows-firewall.
Activate it and give the rFactordedicated.exe full internet access.
And do the same with the ports.

And do you use some additional Anti Virus/Firewall software?
If yes, set the dedicated exe and ports with free internet-access also in it's settings.

Do you have the dedicated server on a machine at your home?
It seems as if you get access over LAN and the others can't get access, because the Internet access is blocked.

In the rfactor subfolder ..\Support you can find the FirewallGuide.pdf file.
Read it and follow the instructions.

I create the server with the dedicated.exe using my own pc... now it doesen't work, so I host it just to try all these modifications, it's not open 24 h

I opened firewall ports and activated dedicated.exe, as you can see in attachment

my antivirsu i Avast!, and reading around the web seems avast works well with games.. I researched if it's possibile to activate ports or dedicated in avast, but I haven't found anything

but it still doesn't work :( sorry

View attachment 16008

Can it be that you have the free Version of Avast?

Just to try it out.
Deinstall (and i mean Deinstall) it, only deactivating is not enough!!

Then reboot and try again.

Freeware Versions of Avast, Bitdefender and some others, do block programs.
And because the freeware versions do not have the option to grant internet-access to specific executables, you are lost when it happens.

no no, I have Avast! paid version

because of this I searched online some instruction to modify firewall and ports parameters, but nothing..
avast has a 'stand by/gaming' status as well, but nothing changes in rFactor if I try that modality

I'm pretty sure that Avast is causing the problem.

Maybe you can find a help at THIS site.

If not, would you uninstall Avast, just to be sure if it's causing the Problem or not?
But remember, you really have to uninstall it, deactivating is not enough!!

The dedicatedserver.exe and rfactor.exe can not use the same profile/ports both running at the same time. You need to create new profile for the dedicated server, change the default ports in the new profile. Otherwise the incoming traffic is talking to the rfactor.exe and won't get a reply.

what do you mean saing 'new profile'?

I made a rFactor copy and created a dedicated server with a new profile.. but now I can not find the server in lobby list

then I made a new profile in rFactor... and even in this case I can not find the server in lobby list

i'm going slightly mad :D

but thanks to all

I think Mangoletsi means this:
From the new Profile of the duplicated rFactor installation: open the Multiplayer.ini and edit the Port entries:
Query Port Start="34297" // range is 1025 - 65535
Port Start="34397" // range is 1025 - 65535
to e.g.
Query Port Start="44297" // range is 1025 - 65535
Port Start="44397" // range is 1025 - 65535
(have also to be set with Internet access in Firewall ... eventually )

Then start the dedicated Server with this profile.

And then start the other rfactor installation to join your server.

I was the whole time thinking that you use a different machines for the dedicated server. :)

You are the only one that can answer that question, just try it out.

But i have seen in your last screenshot, that the rFactor dedicated.exe (is it the one that you are using?) seems to be set as "Private" (i can not read the whole line) and not as "Public". If it is so, you should change it into "Public".

nothing :(

after I tried with your last suggestion, and after it still not working, I re-started.

I deleted all router's ports I opened before.
I took a netbook, disinstalled the antivirus and opened the router pors from this new pomputer (in the end, I just changed the static IP)
then I added the port in the firewall of the netbook, and changed the setting.. first of all I have to say that firewall don't allow at all to set 'pubblic' for the rFactor.exe, so I had to set 'tutti' that in italian means 'all'

but.. nothing.... trying with the other pc, I can find the room in lobby server list, but it still 'join timed out' window..
and that's not a problem of avasta, because I can enter in other lobby server

what a sadness..:(

ps
I tried to set 'all' for ports and dedicated in firewall aswell.. with the same failure

View attachment 16029

Do you still have the Laptop with that configuration?
I would suggest to move on with the testing, with that laptop, because you have uninstalled Avast.
If it will run, you can try with installing it again.

I have taken another look at your screenshots, especially the ones of the router.
I don't know D-Link router and what you have to set, to let an application communicate to the internet with it.

But you e.g. have the option "Firewall&DMZ" in the menu.
Are you sure that you have set all necessary things inside of the router?

I found a server with my name and my mod in the lobby list, are you saing it's made by you Mangoletsi??
how can it be possible?

Last edited:
I found a server with my name and my mod in the lobby list, are you saing it's made by you Mangoletsi??
how can it be possible?

Yes, I put it there for you to use for the time being, as you seemed to be getting stressed.
This will allow you time to race and enjoy rFactor, and take a small break setting up your server. :cool:

this is what I can see in "Firewall&DMZ" in the router menu

View attachment 16039

Yep, that's the sort of thing that can be good to use when testing, i.e. you turn all antivirus/firewall off on the server PC, DMZ that PC (on a static internal IP, your router may require that anyway), and take out anything else that might possibly be getting in the way. Then if you (or someone else) are able to connect to the server you know the game settings are right, and then you can start reintroducing the layers of protection while checking that it's still working after each one. If not, you at least know where the problem is.

And of course, if you take out all intervening software and the potential router interference (by using DMZ) and you still can't get on the server, you know your game config is wrong somehow.

Back