Server restart issue

AudiR8IsGr8

Hello! I've successfully created a dedicated server but I am having difficulties. The first one is what are the two timed sessions after qualifying? I know one is the warm-up but I don't know which; also, how do these sessions work aka what do I do? Second, my server always restarts during one of these timed sessions, why is that and how do I prevent it?

Hi,

I'm not sure, had a quick look in our server and this is what the .PLR files says for us:

[ Race Conditions ]
Run Practice1="1"
Run Practice2="0"
Run Practice3="0"
Run Practice4="0"
Run Qualify="1"
Run Warmup="1"

With this setting we have practise/qualifying/warmup/race

Server settings can be found in both the Multiplayer.ini and the .PLR file so if you cant find something in one, check the other.

As for the restarts, dunno, weird. hopefully that is fixed with the 1st problem :)
Does the server restart during a running session? or when the a session is changing?
Normally a server should not just restart, its either finishing the whole weekend and starting over or changing track, admins cast a spell or clients cast a vote. but It should not restart on its own.

Alright update; I edited that file and now the warmup is running fortunately. However when I watch the dedicated server application the session goes into "race-before" after the warmup and reads out 30 minutes in the session, people in the session say that it says 15 minutes. It's during this session that the weekend restarts.

Race-before?
I don't understand what that means. could you explain a bit more?

Sounds like conflicting commands but I've never seen that before tbh. The dedicated server will overrule ini file in terms of times etc. so lets say your ini says 30 minutes warmup but you set the dedi to 15, it will be 15 minutes.
I've never encountered a server restart from rfactor alone.

Unless, there are external programs running on the box, like an auto-scheduler telling rfactor what to do.

I wish I knew what the "race-before" session was. As for the external programs, I've tried both only the server application open and with both the server app and rFactor open. In both instances a Track Ir is running in the background.

Where do you see the race-before message? on the dedi-box or in the server? and what happens?

"Race-before" is a session state, aka. game phase:

Code:
  // Game phases:
  // 0 Before session has begun
  // 1 Reconnaissance laps (race only)
  // 2 Grid walk-through (race only)
  // 3 Formation lap (race only)
  // 4 Starting-light countdown has begun (race only)
  // 5 Green flag
  // 6 Full course yellow / safety car
  // 7 Session stopped
  // 8 Session over
(snippet from the internals plug-in header file)

I believe this is supposed to give clients time to synchronize with the server before the race proceeds to the next state. It defaults to 30 seconds as far as I know.

Last edited:
Thx Jorgen.
So what does that mean? synch is lost so the server restarts?

I'm just guessing now Audi but I would want to give the server some more breathing room so try to maximize upload and download speeds on the dedicated.

Also, is it actually a dedicated server or are you hosting locally?

The server should never restart because a client lost connection, it would just boot that client I believe. This is probably a case of some of the time-related parameters being set incorrectly. Here's a sample pic of what we used to set when running our league sessions:

rf-dedicated.jpg

I don't think its about drivers losing connection though. doesn't state that anywhere. And you're right, they simply get booted.

But if the server is struggling on synch it means it hangs on its duties and i'm guessing after a while the server reaches it limits and simply restarts as that's the only option left. but again, only guessing.

Using track-defaults could actually work. I would at least try it Audi and see what happens.

I'm going to go give track defaults a shot. I'll update you guys when it's done

Unfortunately that didn't work. I'm going to clarify what happens when the lobby fails. We go through practice, qualy, and Warmup and then the race-before session starts. Randomly through the session the race stutters and then it shows the AI (if they're there) leave the game. Immediately after they leave the lobby goes to back to practice with all human's still in and it shows the AI join back in. However, this problem still occurs without AI.

Turns out it was a bad mod. I don't know which mod it was but I uninstalled rFactor and then reinstalled it and now it works perfect.

Back