Should I or shouldn't I

grumpp

I've recently gotten into pc racing. I'm having a blast!!!! (big time). I just wanted some opinions whether I should buy Rfactor or wait until Rfactor2 comes out.

right now rf is on its end, but i think its worth every penny!
I would start with rf1 now and learn to handle mods, tracks and just have some fun.

If 30€ is too much for you, then its possible better to wait for rf2.
you will not regret to be part of rf1.
rf2 is not finished yet.

You cant do anything wrong with buying rFactor 1. Lots of great mods and tracks out there. Like Gonzo said, start with rFactor 1 and learn how to get the best out of it. And then when rFactor 2 comes out you can buy it.

I suggest buying rF1. It is probably the best $39 investment I have ever made in my life. I got it the day it was released. Put it aside and went back to GTR2/GTL until some mods started to surface. About 6 months later I went back to rF1 and have raced it almost every day since.

no question... you should buy it... I think no game has as many mods as this game... I think :D So even if rf2 comes out, I don't think you'll switch quickly to the new game after you've started playing your first mod... specially the mods are all up to date... :)

Hate to go against the grain here, and I'm a very happy rFactor owner of 3+ years, but with rF2 possibly not that far away it would be a shame for your experience to be soured by paying for a game that is outdated very quickly - and in a fairly major way, considering rF1's obvious shortcomings (such as no rain) that will likely make the entire community jump to rF2 very quickly.

It's been extremely good value for us, and considering its low price you could probably justify buying it even if it's only for several months' use - but money is an individual thing, so just be aware. If you know anyone who owns it, having a few goes on theirs would help you make your decision I'm sure. (lots of pc gamers are not simmers... I've known several who thought it was cool but quickly got bored - it's pretty raw, not many bells or whistles!)

Sorry for intruding into your post, But I have a question about Rfactor.
Is it available to AUSTRALIA.
If so what is the cost in Australian dollars.
Once again sorry for butting-in on you post. I'm new to this sort of thing.

I'd suggest you buy rF1 now. rF2 may not be far away but it will take some months after it's released before the mod teams have their content ready for it. rF1 content will not be compatible straight away and will need work to make it so. Lazza has a point when he says we will all jump to rF2 but I feel rF1 will still be around for quite some time because it has the cars and tracks that people want to run when rF2 want at least for awhile. We've seen with SimBin formats that the older releases are still very popular and heavily used for online racing. I really doubt rF1 will die off overnight.

Lancey. rF is available all over the world. How much in Oz? Not sure now as I have had rF1 since 2005 but it's under $50. For what's available to add-on to rF now it's very cheap. Like Lazza says don't expect all the glitz and glamour but as a 5 year old sim it's still very strong in the community when others of the same era are not. Tales you something.

If either of you decide to buy it be sure to visit Q&A here before installing it. The new OSystems now like Vista & Windows 7 need to be installed using Administrator not all users. If you get this right straight up it will save you issues latter. XP has no issues with this being the main OS of the day when rF was released. Google rFactor.net for downloading Full Install 1255.

Last edited:
It'd be nice this late in the game, if you could get a discount coupon towards the purchase of rFactor2 for buying rFactor at full price. I don't think that'll happen so You'll need to weigh the options based entirely on your budget and funds availability. Either way it's a good buy...if for nothing more than the great mods that won't be re-released for rF2.

You are aware this thread is/was 10 months old, right? :)

Still a valid point... they've said rF1 will drop in price when rF2 comes out, but paying 'full price' for rF1 right now might be a bit annoying if rF2 comes out (albeit in beta form, so likely still a number of months before the full release). You'd probably still consider it value for money given the massive amount of content available.

On a side-note: We can talk about players moving to rF2 in whatever time-frame, what about sites hosting rF1 content? Are the major sites going to maintain rF1 content or start letting it slip as they pick up rF2 stuff?

Back