Skin problem in game (after a car translation)

Maverick.UGO

Hello dear rfactor fans
I hope you will be able to help me a little bit with taht :)

I am trying to modelize F1 from 2014 in a 2012 mod. I did like this :

Step 1 - My 2012 car was composed of different parts : the main part (body, front & rear wing), different for every team, and the common elements (wheels, cockpit, helmet, driver).

I changed the body, the front & the rear wing with those of a 2014 model

I changed nothing else : the wheels, the cockpit etc... are all as the were before.

When I put the car in game, the main part of the car (body + wings) was not at the right place : it was a bit ahead of what it should have been. To put it in another way, the pilot, the cockpit and the wheels were not at their good place.

Step 2 - So i translated the main part a little bit backward on 3Ds max, in order to put everything at the right place.
The main part was at the (0,0,0) point in 3ds max, i put it at (0,0, -0.45) : translation on the z axis.

Step 3 - Then i tried to skin it. I had the skin of the 2014 model I used at step 1, and i put it in the right directory. Problem : my car was still black.

So my question is the following : is the translation the problem or not ?
If it is, is it possible to skin a car even if it is not placed at the 0,0,0 point in 3ds max?

Thanks a lot for your answers !

(EDIT : i can see my skin in 3ds max. but not in game.)

Last edited:
Well I tried again tonight :

When I put the new 2014 3D file in the game, it works, i have the texture. but as I said, the wheels and all the "common" elements of the mod are misplaced.

So the easiest is to translate a little bit the car, so it will fit perfectly with the "fixed" elements. and when i do that, i lose my textures.

Does anyone know how to avoid that? it's driving me mad !

thanks a lot :)

Hard to say what is going wrong, normally you can move an object wherever you want, without loosing the texture-coordinates.
Maybe you make some wrong things while using 3DSMax and loose the mapping of the object.

Hard to answer without knowing what you have done exactly or better, have the files here.

Thank you very much for you answer!

Well i'm new to this, so I guess you are right, I muste have made some wrong things with 3DS max.

I tried to identify in which step the problem is :

1/- I put the new texture on the mclaren 2012 in the game --> it is not the same template, so the texture looks like a mess, but it is here, and the surface is very nice.

2/- I put the 2014 model in the game, without doing any translation : with mclaren again, i replaced the 2012 3D by a 2014 3D and i put the new texture.
the result is the following :
--> the body is misplaced, but as i explained it is normal
--> the texture doesn't display good : it is very bland, as if it was a bit transparent. So at this point I already have a little problem.

3/- I did the translation on the 2014 model and i put it in game
--> at this point everything is black.

I will be able to send you the .max file and the texture tonight if you need it for a quick diagnostic :)

Thanks again for your time!

Which version of 3DSMax do you use?
Sending the scene to me only makes sense when it's compatible here.

And i would need ALL textures too, to make the model visible in rFactor, i don't want to create them all by myself ;)

And i would need the scene with the body where the texture shows up black in game.

I use 3ds max 2013.
I can send you the body + the wings and the textures!

3DSMax2013?

Where did you get the gmt-converter from?
As far as i know the last converter ISI offers for rFactor1 format is for MAX2010.

Maybe i can't open a scene file from 3DSMax2013, because if use 3DSMax2010 now and i'm not sure if it's compatible downwards.
But you can send me the gmt files (and needed textures) too.
Send me the gmt of the body of the 2014 car.
And i want to have the gmt where the texture is shown normal in game (i think it's the original one) and the gmt where the texture is shown black completely.

I send you a PM with an eMail-address which you can use for sending the files.

Back