Starting to mod, confusing terminology, and physics.

p0int

Hello, i would like to start modding for Rfactor 1, and maybe RF2 later, but iam only doing RF1 because i have it.
Iam only tinkering around in the physics files, of some mods to see what happens, to start with. And the more i google, and the more i change things, the more confused i get.

How are they standard physics in the stock .pm, and .hdv files rf1 comes with, suppose to function, because when i think doublewishbone, i think more the essence of how they are on a regular car like a Honda or a Supra:
MK3 Supra
But i sort of dawned on me that RF1 doublewishbone.pm is properly replicating the suspension of a F1 car(Like this: Pushrod-suspension). Iam right in thinking that how is suppose to simulate?

I have a 2nd question, iam trying to make a car have lots of suspension travel, and when i say TRAVEL, i mean in like "droop travel" like when the car is not on the ground, and bump- or uptravel(Like the rear of this Golf).
The car i tinkering with uses doublewishbones.pm suspension, but when i try to change the ReboundTravel, and BumpTravel, and not really getting what i want. when i change the BumpTravel to something high it rises the car, but if i put it as it was before and rise the Rebound nothing really happens. And when i try to search for an answer on how it works, i just get confused. like this one:

Defines the limits of distance over which the wheel can travel vertically, relative to the reference plane.

BumpTravel is the extreme upward extent to which the suspension can move, relative to the "reference plane", which is usually the bottom of the body tub, before the suspension runs out of travel.

ReboundTravel is the extreme downward extent over which the suspension can move, relative to the tub, before it runs out of travel.

Do not misinterpret these values as the distance the suspension can move up or down. They define the location of a limit, not a distance.

I think i got that "reference plane" is the bottom of the chassis of the car. But i don't get these two sentences, because they contradict each other(?), for me at least, if its not travel up and down, like moving up and down. What is it then?

The mod iam modifying is the VRX mod, and its just the cars in it.

//

If you are looking at a graphic representation of the .pm file you must remember that the suspension parts are not steel parts, but rather vectors in space, so they likely don't look like a real life suspension.
Try using carFactory to make your suspension.

//

BumpTravel is the upward movement, but if you only have for example 1_inch of rideheight and you want 10_inches of upward wheel movement, the chassis bottom cannot go below ground so the game will raise the car up to make room.

//

But CarFactory doesn't work for vista/7/8/10.

//
BumpTravel is the upward movement, but if you only have for example 1_inch of rideheight and you want 10_inches of upward wheel movement, the chassis bottom cannot go below ground so the game will raise the car up to make room.

//
It took me a min. To get this, but i get that. If you make it travel upwards more, it means the wheel is going to be inside the chassis, and so the chassis is going to be "under" the wheel, when at full compression. Which the game doesn't allow?

Back