Steering lock question

Roadblock

I've been playing around with a few different open-wheel mods (F1, GP2, F3, Indycars, etc), and on one of them (I think the GP2 mod), I had to adjust the steering lock in the Garage to be quite a bit higher than the other cars, for the same track, to just pull out of my pit stall! (the turn radius was just too large) It got me wondering, what are the settings in the car/suspension that determine how the steering lock in the garage maps to how far the wheels actually turn?

as far as i know, the steering lock determines how much your wheels are turning at the end of your steering wheel movement.

So, if for example, you had 15 degrees of steering lock in the garage and your steering wheel was set up to steer a maximum of 500 deg, then at 250 deg at the steering wheel your Steered angle at the wheels is 15 deg.
So you would get a 250/15=16.6 steering ratio (or, in plain english, to have a steered angle at the wheels of 1 deg you have to turn your steering wheel by 16.6 deg).

How big was your steering lock?

Some car with bigger wheelbase could require more steering lock to complete a turn of a certain radius, but normally this should not be the case with a reasonable steering lock.

I normally run with about 17-18 degrees in the garage on this track, which seems good for the f3 and formula isi cars. On the gp2 car though it was too low. Maybe it's the wheelbase, though.

I just tried a different gp2 mod and its fine at 18 degrees. Must be something weird about the other mod

Last edited:

Back