Strange and persistent disconnect issue

Tysmyster

Hello,

After much trial and error and of course frustration I turn to you for help with my disco issues.
Ever since I got my new (physically completely new) glass-fiber connection (100MB up and down) I have been getting regular disconnects in rfactor. This has been going on for months now.
The disconnect always behaves in a typical way. Others on the server will see the message that I disconnected but it will only tell me several minutes later, and then I have to leave the server myself. I can keep on driving for some reason.

It seems however that the internet connection itself is fine. I never lose teamspeak connection or lose connection in any other game. Actually the same thing happens in Race07, which is basically rfactor with a different coat.
Even when the issue occurs there is no log of any connection issues or hick ups as far as I can tell.

What I tried:

I tried different rfactor installs.
I tried three different computers
I tried using a different cable from router (experia box) to pc.
I tried taking out my little ethernet switch box
Obviously I have rfactor listed as an exception in the windows firewall.

In my house I also have yet another computer which acts as a dedicated server to run rfactor. I never lose connection to that but of course that is within my local network so that isn't saying much. Also, I've run 12 hour races on this server without people having disco issues.

What I haven't tried:
-Trying to stay connected to a different server.

I always have these issues on the servers of Simjunkies.org where I am a member.
It could be that the issue only occurs there though no one else there has this problem.
It's also a bit hard to test since I can sometimes go a whole evening without disconnecting.
Two weeks ago we had an event where we had 18 races of 45 minutes in a period of 24 hours. This gave me plenty of time to do tests. I disconnected around 10 out of the 16 races I joined. That gives you an idea of the frequency.

-A completely different internet connection.

The isp is saying the issue isn't their fault since the line stays up. The only way to prove that it is would be to use a completely different connection. I will see if I can borrow the neighbors wifi or something.

If anyone recognizes this scenario or has other tips. I'd be very happy to hear them because at this point I don't really know where to look.

Thank you reading.

Last edited:
Try to:
a) Disable any AV, the new gen of those craps now comes with firewalls with packet inspection (SPI) wich are mostly tunned for general use. Racing online uses a heavy stream of packets that could trigger a "flooding" rule in your av
b) Fiber connections does not uses extra in-frames over the ethernet packets so make sure that your NICs are set with a MTU value of 1500
c) Update your NICs drivers from the website manufacturer, the default drivers installed with the OS are not good at all for extreme performance
d) Disable any stupid power management on your NICs (if available set to "CAM mode" (constantly awake)).
e) Close any other app that may use network resources before going online
f) Disable all protocols and clients from your network card, leave only enabled the IPv4 protocol
g) Try to connect using another NIC adapter, in the past I've got issues with 2 faulty cards ... a very rare scenario but take it into account
... and god speed :D

Thank you both for those useful posts. I will go to work with those and be back with results.
I'll look into my NIC settings and see what I can find though I can't say I'm familiar with all the terms you're using.
This will get me a long way though. Very much appreciated.

Back