Texture loading errors on any ISI engine sim.. what may be wrong?

1959SLP

Here's is a reoccurring error;

Often, when I load a track and there are textures and .gmt files that it should find in the commonmaps.mas, I get texture errors followed by an accompanying .gmt mesh error and a subsequent track load error/failure.

If I put the same files that cause the errors, whatever they may be, loose in the Locations folder, then the track loads fine.

I hope this makes sense?

What might cause this?

Last edited:
This type of thing is usually caused by a broken path. Then there was in earlier times were track builders were changing the common file to suit there track but unwittingly causing problem with others. This was soon realized and it stopped being done. The down side is some of those tracks are still in circulation.

Normally I'd just suggest to run rFactor install exe to restore any damage, missing or modified files but the fact that you can extract the Mas and it works is confusing. The this is how the path is altered but the fines are being found.

A normal path reads, GameData/Locations/TrackName/Mas./then the file should be found.

By removing the content from Mas, Commonmap.Mas in this case you've effectively broken the path and their shouldn't be found causing the GMT and/or Texture error.

Anyway this doesn't help you.

If it was me and running rFactor exe over the install didn't fix it I'd just create a new file in Programdata and install a new rFactor in there. Call it anything but rFactor or rFactor2. For obvious reasons. Copy your UserData file complete from old and pasd in new. Install the mods you want and with the tracks, Copy all the tracks BUT not the free files. The only ones you want are the Sky ones, There should be 5 + you may have RAINSPRAY, there should be 2 of these. Leave the rest.

Now if a doesn't work from there, Delete it! There's a problem with it and it will only cause you grief, get rid of it. You can either find it and download a fresh install or version or just simply forget it. If you persist with it and try to get to work it could cause others that do work to stop working.

A cheap way to put the mods into the new install is to copy all the content "Bar Locations", inside GameData and pasd in the new install.

Thanks for the reply. Odd thing is that the original commonmaps.mas there. The loose files are from that .mas. The installation is a rFLite Clean install. I'm just adding the track.

I'm going to keep playing with this. There has to be some reason that this is happening and I'm just missing it. I've checked the .scn and nothing is odd there either.

This type of thing is usually caused by a broken path. Then there was in earlier times were track builders were changing the common file to suit there track but unwittingly causing problem with others. This was soon realized and it stopped being done. The down side is some of those tracks are still in circulation.

Normally I'd just suggest to run rFactor install exe to restore any damage, missing or modified files but the fact that you can extract the Mas and it works is confusing. The this is how the path is altered but the fines are being found.

A normal path reads, GameData/Locations/TrackName/Mas./then the file should be found.

By removing the content from Mas, Commonmap.Mas in this case you've effectively broken the path and their shouldn't be found causing the GMT and/or Texture error.

Anyway this doesn't help you.

If it was me and running rFactor exe over the install didn't fix it I'd just create a new file in Programdata and install a new rFactor in there. Call it anything but rFactor or rFactor2. For obvious reasons. Copy your UserData file complete from old and pasd in new. Install the mods you want and with the tracks, Copy all the tracks BUT not the free files. The only ones you want are the Sky ones, There should be 5 + you may have RAINSPRAY, there should be 2 of these. Leave the rest.

Now if a doesn't work from there, Delete it! There's a problem with it and it will only cause you grief, get rid of it. You can either find it and download a fresh install or version or just simply forget it. If you persist with it and try to get to work it could cause others that do work to stop working.

A cheap way to put the mods into the new install is to copy all the content "Bar Locations", inside GameData and pasd in the new install.

is "MASFile=COMMONMAPS.MAS" towards the beginning of the .SCN file of a track that doesn't work? If not, add it and see if the track works.

Back