Texture maps max size

Nuno Lourenço

Hello guys just a question,

4096x4096 is the maximum size for all formats or there's any format that rfactor allow to be bigger than that?

Thanks

I didn't try using textures bigger than 2048x2048 (maybe once for testing) but, if you consider using such a big textures (4k x 4k and above) that IMHO means that you should try to consider changing your texturing method.

Think at: too many big textures can cause bad framerate or lags on lower level computers.
It's the same with high polycount 3D-objects.

My opinion is, better a lower quality and playable than HD-quality and slideshow online ;).

The idea is having a track template paint a racegroove on that and multiply it with asfalt texture on diferent channel. With that all done in photoshop we avoid repeated texture, the need to be done by segments with diferent materials or even create new track on top of first one to use with transparency.

Like you Feels3, its just a test but i think 4K x 4k won't give a good result if i have a template rendered in top view containing the terrain too.

1 or 2 files in 4k x 4k won't be severe to frame rate.

If it's just one big texture of 4096x4096 there is hardly any performance hit on mainstream computers.
Your track will only show a small part of that texture at the time.

The entire texture would be loaded in VRAM though.

Depending on the size of the track, that groove may look very blotchy too. Textures like that are effective for low frequency stuff. It'll do a good job of making the racing line appear darker, but most of the details will probably look worse than expected.

Actually it becames much better than i expected even at 4k x 4k. If we imagine that we will not be stopped on top looking at this it is very very good.

I'm trying to update moscow raceway a little bit and it is becoming much better than i expected in general.

road texture is done except grid that remains with old texture
pit texture its done too
windows of Pit build are now similar to glass too
more than seventy billboard trees are done separately to use in track too
Tree lines are more or less ready
The most dificult part is grass... i have mapped all terrain and track in one big template to use google earth image blended with grass but as i can't

export terrain with vertex alpha values i tried to multiply it but the result was far away from what i expected... Even worst because google earth

don't seem to have terrain from track updated too and i needed to create a fake terrain.

Lets see..... Some screens...

GRAB_096.JPG

GRAB_100.JPG

GRAB_083.JPG

GRAB_098.JPG

GRAB_092.JPG

Thanks

Last edited:
The idea is having a track template paint a racegroove on that and multiply it with asfalt texture on diferent channel. With that all done in photoshop we avoid repeated texture, the need to be done by segments with diferent materials or even create new track on top of first one to use with transparency.
Technically, it's a big waste to paint racegroove on a big map-like texture. If you consider 3 km track, 10m wide, placed on a 1 square kilometer of terrain, then you have just 0.03 square kilometer of track over such a terrain, meaning you're only using 3% of texture's space.

It's better to map your racegroove texture along the road, as one long strip. For example, use 32 strips, each having 2048x64 pixels, and you can fit that into one 2048x2048 texture. What you get is effectively a 65536x64 texture, made of 32 segments.

As for painting to such texture, you can let your 3D modelling software bake tat texture for you from your hand-painted texture.

In shader pack, I'm using one 256x256 texture to store one strip of 16384 pixels for racegroove visibility.

Yes you're right but i used the same texture to map the terrain. I created a top view template to do both things. Actually the texture stills empty in some places but i think i will use it to something else yet.

terrain_road.JPG

Last edited:

Back