track bar adjustment

David Wright

Can anyone clarify track bar adjustment?

Track bars are typically set at the same height as the rear axle in the suspension file. I understand the height values are changed by the values in the hdv file.

How are they changed? Is the value in the hdv file added to the value in the pm file, or substituted.

Is the value in the hdv referenced from the wheel-centre/axle height, as in the pm or from the ground height? Or from another reference such as the bottom of the car?

Looking at the figures used in NASCAR cars I would guess its referenced from the ground or the roll centre height will be very high. However, I have seen values of zero in some mods, and you cant have a track bar at zero height if that height is measured from the ground.

Hi David. You should take a look at the HGT&TC *.HDV files, specially for the Lotus Cortina which bring track bar settings.

The track bar is specified in the *.PM and *.HDV file.

Example for the PM file (use Suspension Calculator, it is a helpful tool):
// Track bar (heights will be changed with track bar adjustments)
//[BAR]
// Rear spindle and wheel connections (axis will be changed with rear camber adjustments)
[JOINT&HINGE]
posbody=rl_wheel negbody=rear_axle pos=rl_wheel axis=(-1.0,0.0,0.0)

[JOINT&HINGE]
posbody=rr_wheel negbody=rear_axle pos=rr_wheel axis=(1.0,0.0,0.0)

Example for HDV file:
[SUSPENSION]
LeftTrackBarRange=(0.0, 0.0, 1) // rear-left track bar
LeftTrackBarSetting=0
RightTrackBarRange=(0.0, 0.0, 1) // rear-right track bar
RightTrackBarSetting=0

Thank you for replying. When I said "I have seen values of zero in some mods, ..." this is the mod I was referring to.

Unfortunately it doesn't solve my question. Physics files produced by ISI themselves, such as their NASCAR cars use relatively large positive values in the HDV file. The HistorX mod uses zero values. They can't both be right, and the reference the track bar height is taken from is still unclear. Is it ground level, (most likely if ISI values are correct), bottom of the car or the rear axle (most likely if the HistorX values are correct)?

Thank you for replying. When I said "I have seen values of zero in some mods, ..." this is the mod I was referring to.

Unfortunately it doesn't solve my question. Physics files produced by ISI themselves, such as their NASCAR cars use relatively large positive values in the HDV file. The HistorX mod uses zero values. They can't both be right, and the reference the track bar height is taken from is still unclear. Is it ground level, (most likely if ISI values are correct), bottom of the car or the rear axle (most likely if the HistorX values are correct)?

You sure you're looking at the right file, I've just downloaded the NSC06_susp.pm from ISI's file repository and the height's set to zero!

Yes - please read my post. The issue isn't the pm values - its the HDV values.

Back