Track Texturing

pcline25

Hey everyone, I am extremely new to the modding scene and want to get my feet wet by working on tracks. I've gotten the modeling down pat (as far as the ISI tutorial goes anyways) and I am stuck on the texturing portion of that tutorial. I haven't a clue how to use UVW Map modifiers or multi-sub objects. I get to the point where I can get my textures to show up but they never stay active after I move on to work on a different texture.

Is there any other tutorials out there that go into detail about how to texture a track or an object with a gMat?

I've been through many tutorials, and a few from that page but they all seem to go about things differently. I've got the map set to show in Viewport and it does on occasion until I seem to add a new material or change another parameter elsewhere using either the Material Box or UVW Map modifier.

Basically what I am doing for textures is the following:

1. Use the material editor to setup my textures. I change my specular to white (per the tutorial) and the Strength to 5.0

2. I setup the Multi/Sub-Object then select the appropriate shader as the ISI tutorial suggests, and load in my maps. (I also select different channels for the maps in the editor (I.E. 1 for Base Map, 2 for Specular, 3 for Bump).

3. I then select the polygons for the base map (using my road texture as an example on this one) and give those selected polygons a material number, then once that is done I apply a UVW Map modifier to those polygons and make the channels match the base,specular and bump.

Did you assign the material to the mesh?
Try using uvw unwrap and click the edit button.

If you have a lot of mesh and big textures, it could be culling. Try it in a new project with a single plane (try this anyway, just to make sure it works).

I wouldn't worry too much about shaders or spec colour/value yet, just use t1 for now to get it working, once it's working then add shaders in, keep it simple and it will be easier to find the problem.

ps. I remembered about a tutorial James made for gmat's, here it is. He didn't have much time when he made it and had to do it really fast, he has back stepped a few times in it, try not to let it confuse you.
http://www.thepits.us/board/viewtopic.php?p=91255#p91255

Oh,, are you on win7 and using max 9 or below? If so try using tga instead of dds.

Yeah I'm on Windows 7 64-bit...and all I've used to this point are some TGA files. I'll give that tutorial a whirl and let you know if it helped. I am fairly confident I am overlooking a very minute detail lol.

Back