Unknown Internal Error..cannot start game..please help.

anthonyl

Windows 7 64 bit.

Clean Windows install due to a motherboard and SSD upgrade.

Have tried to re-install the game several times...all times I have deleted the entire folder and the trymedia folder as well.

Have tried to install the complete (full version) and the lite version.

When I launch the game I get an error message...UNKNOWN INTERNAL ERROR.

My clock is at the correct setting and have also done an internet clock sync.

DO NOT HAVE ANY antivirus software running.

And yes I have tried running as administrator.

All other games I have installed run fine...

Please help.

Update:

Tried uninstalling everything r-factor related.....including the r-factor folder and trymedia folders...re-installed game...as soon as I click on the shortcut...UNKNOWN INTERNAL ERROR.

I tried installing as administrator as well......this is frustrating me no end!!

Last edited:
Check and/or reinstall DirectX9.
You can also try to create a trace (log) file by adding trace=3 to the end of the commandline of your shortcut. It should look like this:

c:\path\to\rfactor.exe trace=3

or, if you've got spaces in your path:

"c:\path to\rfactor.exe" trace=3

This creates a logfile in UserData/Log/trace.txt .
Maybe there is something logged which helps you locating the problem.

[edit]Did you tried running "rF Config.exe" first, to configure rFactor before starting rFactor itself?

Last edited:
Check and/or reinstall DirectX9.
You can also try to create a trace (log) file by adding trace=3 to the end of the commandline of your shortcut. It should look like this:

c:\path\to\rfactor.exe trace=3

or, if you've got spaces in your path:

"c:\path to\rfactor.exe" trace=3

This creates a logfile in UserData/Log/trace.txt .
Maybe there is something logged which helps you locating the problem.

[edit]Did you tried running "rF Config.exe" first, to configure rFactor before starting rFactor itself?

Thanks for the tips...tried as you suggested and I get NO .txt file in the log folder.. I tried all options with space / without space (trace=3) but got no file or .txt in the log folder...and I do have show hidden files enabled as well....

And yes i did run the config everytime..thanks.

I also tried applying an OLD trymedia folder that I had used in the past and when I use that and click the r-factor shortcut..it takes me to a webpage that says cannot be opened...

Last edited:
rFactor is not actually running at that point (the trymedia software is), so you won't see a trace file.

The "Unknown Internal Error" is almost always access related. As noted in the instructions below...
https://community.racesimcentral.ne...tion-or-Can-t-Open-Page-when-starting-rFactor

you should try right-clicking and selecting "Run As Administrator..." even if you have an administrator account. You could also disable UAC (User Account Control) and set up your administrator account with no restrictions.

If this does not resolve your issue, please contact support@trymedia.com for further assistance with their software error message.

rFactor is not actually running at that point (the trymedia software is), so you won't see a trace file.

The "Unknown Internal Error" is almost always access related. As noted in the instructions below...
https://community.racesimcentral.ne...tion-or-Can-t-Open-Page-when-starting-rFactor

you should try right-clicking and selecting "Run As Administrator..." even if you have an administrator account. You could also disable UAC (User Account Control) and set up your administrator account with no restrictions.

If this does not resolve your issue, please contact support@trymedia.com for further assistance with their software error message.

Thank you....

I tried all of the above and still get the "Web page" when I try and run r-factor.

I am admin and did the UAC setting as well...still no joy.

I can't even get to the point where I am asked to type in my registration code...

The other thing I can't grasp is that even if there has been a system change...surely when you completely uninstall the game and totally re-install it ..it should install with the parameters of the current system...and not worry about the parameters from the previous setup... OR is there some files somewhere other than the TRYMEDIA folder that need to be deleted...maybe in the registry?

I did a search in the registry and deleted all r-factor and Trymedia entries...so I think a complete re-install should be possible....did the re-install and still get the error...something is hidden somewhere!!!!

Last edited:
Okaaaay... I have read a little more about the problem and did the following...

Set my date and time to 2013 and got the activation screen...YAY....but BOOO..I found out I do not have any activations left...so I have e-mailed and requested some more.

I did also try to copy an old backup of the trymedia folder that always used to work..but for some reason it does not work now....when I use it it takes me to another error screen that says I am trying to open a web page that no longer exists....

So I am on the right track...hopefully if and when they get back to me with some more activations I should be right!!!

Back