v1.255b G27 FFB Bug?

Weasy

Hi all. I've seen a lot of posts about G27 FFB issues, but I had none until I had a new machine built and downloaded a new version of rF1 (1.225b). I noticed you now use the FFB Strength slider in a positive (+100) rather than negative, and the G27 steering wheel rpm lights are standard.

My problem now, with this build, is when I hit race I have no FFB until I rev the car up to around 7200rpm and the rpm lights on my wheel come on. As soon as my rpms go under 7200, the rpm lights on my wheel go out and I lose FFB again. This makes driving tricky since the FFB cuts in and out depending on my rpm lights.

I have an older version of rF1 on an expansion drive that still uses Trymedia and my G27 FFB works just fine...but I don't have the rpm light mod on it.

GTR2 also works perfectly...without any rpm light mods.

I've been driving rF1 since 2005 and I've tried every trick I can think of. All of my steering and FFB settings are the same as I've always used. I think the rpm light mod in this new version is bad maybe.

Is there any way to disable the light mod so I can get my FFB back?

Thanks!

Jay

Well, after some searching I guess I'm part of an unannounced beta test for a new build to v1.255 and there are a few folks having the same issues with G27 FFB in the "Testers Needed" thread. :confused:

+1 - yes I have this bug too! A brand new computer build -> Downloaded the latest rFactor lite from rFactor.net -> activated it -> been pulling my hair out ever since trying to figure out what was going on with my G27 FFB.

Well spotted linking it to the RPM lights as I hadn't noticed that :).

I Don't know about RF1............ but RF2 controller.ini has this line.

Use Additional Hardware Features="1" // Whether to use additional hardware features like steering wheel LEDs

In the "Testers Needed" thread raven said to turn on VSync in the rFconfig.exe. It WORKED! My FFB works as it is supposed to.

OMG....after all the reloading, checking all kinds of stuff, the G27 acting possessed....it is all fixed by turning the VSync ON!!!

good job people...

jon

VSync is a very bad solution though. Hopefully ISI can fix this the right way. VSync adds input lag.

Ah, yes. Ok, by doing these things step-by-step it seems to can be done without VSync.

My "target" was to get the right ffb effects back and vsync did the job, in "cost" of limiting the frames.
I could not feels any input lag, but maybe just because i was so happy that i could drive again.

Now I turned VSync off, limited the frames to 60 per PLR file and: still correct ffb.
Limited to 90 per PLR, still correct ffb.
Limited to 100, seams ok.
Limited to 101-105, begins to feel... not so normal, maybe just placebo...
Limited to 110, old, strange, undrivable ffb effects.

So this false ffb is a combination of G27 LEDs and too high framerates(above 100)?

VSync doesn't cause input lag because it limits the frame rate, but because of the way it limits the framerate. VSync actually buffers frames and doesn't display the frame until the monitor is ready for the frame. This can cause a delay. Not much, but it can be seen by the naked eye (as seen by my video in the other thread). You will not get input lag if you limit the framerate via "Max Framerate" in the PLR file.

But it sounds like you are on to something. I said I cap my frames to -60 in the PLR file but actually I set it to -120. I will try dropping it to -60 and see if it fixes my FFB. Raven, are you setting it to 60 or -60? If you use a negative value it enables alternate timing which has proven to help with the micro stutters that rFactor tends to get from time to time.

Ah i wanted to, but forgot to wrote:
I tried positiv and negative numbers and set it now to -60.
But for this ffb problem it seems(i can just speak for myself) to makes no difference if i set it to 60 or -60.

I never limited frames and micro stutters were never a problem for me, as far as i know, but i will keep an eye on that, if i'm changing der max framerate value.

Just FYI, we're working on it.

The G27 LED thing is a Logitech driver bug (turning the LEDs back off prevents future FFB updates from working for some reason). We have a workaround in rF2 but we'll probably just disable the LEDs for rF1.

Yes, I've told Logitech but they just shrugged and said, "well, glad you have a workaround." Feel free to bother them if you want it fixed the right way.

Logitech seems to not give a damn about developers. I put in several requests to join there developer program and never got a response. It wasn't until they slipped the SDK into the drivers (probably by mistake) that I was finally able to write some stuff. But their SDK seems like a work in progress and poorly documented. I know TechAde (RealFeel developer) wanted to add dynamic lock support to RealFeel but ran into problems and Logitech was unable to help him out. I later started a dynamic lock plugin of my own but also ran into difficulties. I ended up putting the project on the back burner. I should pick it back up I guess.

We can put pressure on Logitech but I am afraid they don't give a damn.

Just wondering out loud here.

With the LEDs, is there any way you can adjust the rpm level to which they come on maybe? If the initial green light could come on at idle (say 1200-1500rpm) and slowly grow to yellow and red with higher revs then I'm thinking it might be okay. The way it is now my FFB comes on when the first green light on the wheel lights up, at around 7200rpm and cuts off when I dip below 7200rpm.

Other than that for now the VSync seems to be working better for me.

I did some tests this morning.

1st test was 1.255b with "Max Framerate" set to -120. I could clearly feel the FFB turn on and off when the LEDs went on and off.
2nd test was 1.255b with "Max Framerate" set to -60. The FFB is no longer turning on and off but the forces are too heavy and mask all the subtle feedback you normal get with RealFeel. This isn't a reasonable solution in my opinion. But drivable at least.
3rd test was the G27 version of 1.255F with "Max Framerate" set to -120. Perfect FFB. Smooth and much more detailed.

I haven't switched to Win8 on my race rig yet so I am just going to stick with the older G27 build. The LED related code in the old G27 build must not be the same code that is in 1.255b. The old code must not have been refreshing at the same rate as the framerate. It is like the Logitech drivers have problems when you refresh the LEDs too fast. The old G27 build must have been tied to a different timer. It still doesn't explain why the forces are overbearing on this new build.

Looks like there will be another 1255 version released, not sure if it'll be c, d, e, etc, it will replace b. If you already activated on a machine, you won't need to activate again (like when you freshly install rF2).

Looks like there will be another 1255 version released, not sure if it'll be c, d, e, etc, it will replace b. If you already activated on a machine, you won't need to activate again (like when you freshly install rF2).

Thanks for this :D Me and my friend struggled for 4 hours to get the FFB working on his G27 with 1.255b last night, for F1 RFT 2012, to no avail.

He will be glad to hear it's being looked at, as he only bought the game on the weekend.

Ok, slightly off-topic question... we had v1.250, then we had v1.255, then pretty quickly we went through a number of versions with various bugs being fixed/introduced/fixed... and ended up with v1.255f.

How are we back to 1.255b?

I edited the title of the thread ... the version was named (by mistype i guess) as 1225b.
Now it has the right name, ie 1255b. :)

I edited the title of the thread ... the version was named (by mistype i guess) as 1225b.
Now it has the right name, ie 1255b. :)

Yeah, I was a little flustered after trying to figure out my FFB for an entire day and night and missing a couple of important races when I started this topic. Typo, my bad...lol. Thanks for looking into this though!

Ok, slightly off-topic question... we had v1.250, then we had v1.255, then pretty quickly we went through a number of versions with various bugs being fixed/introduced/fixed... and ended up with v1.255f.

How are we back to 1.255b?

If I'm not mistaken, 1255f is for those who have the DVD version, and 1255b is for those who download the sim.

If I'm not mistaken, 1255f is for those who have the DVD version, and 1255b is for those who download the sim.

There is a DVD version of 1.255F and a TryMedia version of 1.255F. The "F" build was released to improve loadtimes. It cut loadtimes in half.

Back