What is wrong with 'finish session' button?

vitamin

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me that 'finish session' button messes up lap times of AI cars. Here's my session - it's just one track but it happens on some others too. And it also applies to different mods - I tested three so far: TCL, DRM and WSC75GTO.

Qualifying in progress:
213hzxd.png

Final results:
307s36p.png

I'm playing with AI strength on 75% and I'm pretty sure these lap times are impossible on such a low level. And besides, once I left game running while qualifying session was in progress and when it was finished I took the first place. Second car was more than 1 second behind me. So something is telling me that this button is bugged - am I right?

I wouldn't agree with that.
As you can see, the count of driven laps has increased for all/most drivers and some increase their laptimes too and got a better grid position (i didn't compare every driver).

I am pretty sure that the result of a qualifying is clear before the session starts. I guess rFactor calculates it randomly or, if available, on existing talent files from the mod.

And the result in the end will be the same, i guess, no matter if you end the session by pressing the button or let it end normally.

Last edited:
And the result in the end will be the same, i guess, no matter if you end the session by pressing the button or let it end normally.
This is not true. I made more tests with the same mod (TCL) and same track (Zolder). Here's final results when I left qualifying running and it ended normally:
a9rfch.png

As you can see, AI lap times are almost the same as in my first screenshot from the first post (qualifying in progress). The lap times from the second screenshot (final results - when I clicked 'finish session' button) are artificial. I got no idea how rFactor calculates them (would love to know that) but it's pure magic IMO, and has nothing to do with real potential of AI cars (on given game difficulty).

It is (not) pure magic. Well, it makes an approximation of the laptime based on the talent files and difficulty setting, but the cars do not drive all those laps when you press that button.
A better option would be to accelerate the time when you've finished driving.

Thank you for the explanation and for that tip on time acceleration. It was exactly what I needed. BTW, is it possible to change how fast this time passes when CTRL+T is pressed?

Ok, just one more question - could you tell me please if I can change qualifying duration in race weekend session? I know I can change this in rfm files but it applies only to race season sessions.

Back