Why are F1 cars uncontrollable without stability control and steering help?

tradingbr

I tried both with a wheel or keyboard, seems that everytime you accelerate and steer in any direction the car will spin. It happens over and over again. I already tried 3 different f1 mods. The only way I can make the game playable is to put stability control and/or steering help otherwise the whole thing is just impossible. Is this normal?

I tried both with a wheel or keyboard, seems that everytime you accelerate and steer in any direction the car will spin. It happens over and over again. I already tried 3 different f1 mods. The only way I can make the game playable is to put stability control and/or steering help otherwise the whole thing is just impossible. Is this normal?

Please don't give up. These cars are the most rewarding sim cars I have ever driven. Have to very gently squeeze the throttle and keep car balanced. Counter steering is critical. Start slow and work your way up slowly. Invest some time and you will never look back!

I realized that a big issue was that I was bringing the gears down too quickly. I was playing like GP4 where you can do that at will, here if you put the 1st too soon the car becomes uncontrollable! I got the 2005 mod and was able to drive a bit better

I realized that a big issue was that I was bringing the gears down too quickly. I was playing like GP4 where you can do that at will, here if you put the 1st too soon the car becomes uncontrollable! I got the 2005 mod and was able to drive a bit better

You have to studie the whole setup options. Gearshifting: transmission, gear box ratio, differential (neutral option)

Test all the options and since 4 month, you will be faster as many others.

You have to studie the whole setup options. Gearshifting: transmission, gear box ratio, differential (neutral option)

Test all the options and since 4 month, you will be faster as many others.

are you saying that by changing the gearbox setup I can deal with the problem of spinning when shifting to 1st too quickly?

No I think that problem is with your fingers ;).

Sorry couldn't resist that one...

If you change first gear to make it a longer gear then that may help a little. I really think that you need to wait for first gear though, in RL you would probably just blow your gearbox to bits!

Some more things to check:
Steering lock (too sharp and it will only assist the spins)
Engine braking (too much, too little, it can both help or make it worse so experiment)
Decrease Anti-roll for more stabillity
Lower rear Brakedisc will help with snap-oversteer (keep front high)
differential lock/coast settings, experiment to make the car less nervous.

You could also check if a different degree in the wheel itself helps out. i've seen people gain allot of time and consistancy just by going from 200 to 360degrees.

But even with everything unstable you should be able to keep it on-track. its just the imput you give, probably overdriving the car, wanting to go too fast too soon. I suggest a whole bunch of laps on 80% and build up when confidence is building.

And yeah, dont gear down too fast.
In fact, use the gears to your advantage, sometimes you want to gear down to 1st when allready well into the turn simply because the gear-down/engine braking can assist you in apex-stabillity.

Maybe go to rcentral/the mod you are using and see if there are setups available? allways handy imo.

Agreeing with much of above.
Increase of Diff lock on coast will reduce spins in braking downshifting.
Increase of diff lock on power will do same on acceleration in corners.
Both these increases will have an affect of increasing the minimum turn radius though so dont just max them out. If too high she wont turn in very well.
Turn on the big tacho dial and ensure that when downshifting your revs have dropped a little esp b4 selecting 1st gear.
Manage the throttle in the lower gears. Imagine a string tied to your big toes and the bottom of the wheel so it only allows full throttle when wheel is pointed straight. (in lower gears).
Work on setups esp gearing camber and ride height. (then ARBs, shocks etc)
I was +12 sec to AI abd after practice am beating them.
BUT the best thing I did was go through OWC Career R trainer-advanced Trainer-F3 then F1! Each step you acquire some skills re setup and driving.
Enjoy

Back