Free Face Tracking

zild1221

Kind of a tutorial I made but it fits here as well.

I am not the owner of any of this software, I just have done a lot of searching and tweaking to make this work properly. I figured I would share with you all.

Just a quick test I did.

This uses FaceAPI and another piece of software called FaceTrackNOIR. The FaceTrackNOIR software supports PPJoy and GlovePie so even if the game does not support FreeTrack or TrackIR and it does support analog looking, you can use this.

Screenshot of the software:
2-1-1.jpg

Files Needed:

1:FaceAPI
2:FaceTrackNOIR V1
3:FaceTrackNOIR Update
Additional Files:
PPJoy
GlovePIE

I recommend a camera that does 30FPS or better for this. Make sure all of your drivers all installed properly. Also, try to get the most even lighting on your face as possible. The more well lit side of your face WILL track better.

Retard-Proof Steps:
  1. Install FaceAPI
  2. Install FaceTrackNOIR
  3. Drag and drop the files from the update into where you installed FaceTrackNOIR

I will explain how to get this working with rFactor and ArmA2. This has been confirmed to work with many sim titles including GTR2/EVO and iRacing. Any game supporting analog look features will be able to benefit from this as well using PPJoy and GlovePIE.

For rFactor:
In the FaceTrackNoIR software follow these steps:
1. Set the "Tracker Source" to FaceAPI.
2. Set "Game Protocol" to Fake TrackIR
The rest of these settings will completely depend on your lighting and the camera you use. I will try to explain what each does.

"Smoothing" attempts to smooth out any jittery'ness when tracking. Mine is at 3
Leave "EWMA filter" checked.
"Neutral Zone" defines the area close to where your head sits center. The bigger the number, the more deadzone. This is helpful if you move around a lot. Mine is set to 7.

Sensitivities are next.
Yaw is how sensitive turning your camera is. This is the most useful for racing. Mine is at 150.

Pitch is up and down. I keep this lower than the Yaw. Mine is at 100.

X and Y are the axis relative to the game. In racing this controls how you move around the cockpit. I have those set to 150 and 150.

Personally I do not like the roll in games. I just leave that off. You can fiddle with it if you like that.

Red.Factors: This adjust the "reaction time" from what I have found. It makes everything happen snappier. I would not use any more than 50, the lower you go the better, although it could get jittery. I would suggest trying to find a good combo of "Smoothing" and "Red. factor". Mine is at 42.

Once you get all of this stuff set, click "Start" in the upper left. You should see your camera on the bottom appear. It will look for your eyes, nose, and mouth/jaw. If it finds them properly, you should see yellow lines around them. Note: Try your best to put your head as close to where it always is before you click "Start". It WILL track better.

For this to work properly in rFactor, you are going to need to adjust some files.

These files are both located in your "rFactor\UserData\YourName" folder.

I would suggest using NotePad++ for this.

First open up "YourName.plr". Go to LINE 235 "Glance Rate" Replace with:
Code:
Glance Rate="7.00000" // Rate to follow controller for glancing

Go to LINE 236 "Look UP/DOWN Angle" Replace with:
Code:
Look Up/Down Angle="2.00000" // Angle to look up/down (pitch) w/ controller in radians (= degrees / 57)

Go to LINE 239 "Glance Angle" Replace with:
Code:
Glance Angle="5.00000" // Angle to look left/right (yaw) w/ controller in radians (= degrees / 57)

Now in that same folder go to your "Controller.ini" file. THESE ARE REALLY IMPORTANT!!

Go to LINE 28 "HMD Pitch Exponent" Replace with:
Code:
HMD Pitch Exponent="1.25000" // Exponent to apply to pitch tracking.  > 1.0 makes tracking near-center slower, > 0 & < 1.0 makes tracking near-center faster.

Go to LINE 29 "HMD Yaw Exponent" Replace with:
Code:
HMD Yaw Exponent="1.25000" // Exponent to apply to yaw tracking.  > 1.0 makes tracking near-center slower, > 0 & < 1.0 makes tracking near-center faster.

Go to LINE 31 "HMD LEFT/RIGHT Exponent" Replace with:
Code:
HMD Left/Right Range="0.00000" // Range to apply to left/right tracking or camera controls (0.35 = max, -0.35 = reversed max)

Go to LINE 32 "HMD UP/DOWN Exponent" Replace with:
Code:
HMD Up/Down Range="0.00000" // Range to apply to up/down tracking or camera controls (0.35 = max, -0.35 = reversed max)

Now, you may want to tweak some of these settings to your own liking. These are just what I found to work well personally.

To make this work, you have to launch rFactor, then tab out and launch the software and start the capture.

Depending on you Res. and FPS, your processor could be taxed from 5-12%.

The best camera for the money you can get for this is the Playstation Eye. **Not the EYETOY** This does an easy 60FPS and is made for FaceTracking. It runs from $24 used to $40 new. Not that bad.

I don't believe I am forgetting anything.

UPDATE ON HIS SITE:

http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/home/default.htm

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for this. It works great and heaps cheaper than TrackIR. I'm not sure if it is as goos as TrackIR (not having tried that) but I'm happy with it.

Thanks for info! i'm plan to buy TrackIR but..before that i'll try this! :D i hope i'll save me some money.
What about movement, you can move head on front/rear? or you can just look around (with head in same position?)

I believe that depends on the game. I was able to make that work in ARMA2. Personally though I do not like it so I turned it off.

Yes, you can move your head backwards and forwards - I haven't done too much of this, but it seems Ok. I was going the free track route and then I thought to buy TrackIR - I won't be bothering now, this is working fine

If nothing else, it is worth trying out as you can always use your webcam as a normal webcam anyway - so it is a lot cheaper and easier than the alternatives

I've also tried it successfully in a flight sim (Rise of Flight)

What about webcam (i'm looking for a good one),: all webcams are good? i need one who does 30FPS or 60FPS? what cam is the best buy for this? :D thanks in advance.

EDIT i missed last part of first post .I'll search the Playstation Eye. Works on PC aswell, i'll search drivers ;)

Last edited:
Bought cam on Ebay (25 euros), found drivers for win seven (4.0.2.1005), downloaded FaceTracknoIR v.1.30 and..now i'm waiting cam! :D

Sweet. You will not be sorry. The dev is working on a big update right now as well.

zild1221 are you using multiple monitors? I would think it would be a little awkward on a single monitor looking to the side unless your nose was against it.

Just one monitor. I thought that it would be really weird too, but I really only turn my head a few inches. With one day of use it becomes second nature to keep your eyes pointed forward.

Thank you so much for making this tutorial!

And I think I have a problem. FTnoIR is selecting my Hauppauge capture card (in the box above Sensitivity settings) instead of my PS Eye. Is there any way to change that?

Uh, is there a way of making your camera default inside of windows? I only have a single camera so I have no clue. If you figure it out post it for others.

Seems to work really good! :) Thanks really much! you need to place as close as possible the cam to the face. In last version you don't need to download and install the FaceAPI, probably there's already in the package.
Why do you need to install PPJoy and GlovePIE? using Ps3 eye seems to work too without those programs ;)
thanks again!!

PPjoy and GlovePie are for if a game is not supported by trackir or similar. Then you can fake it.

Cant get this to work. Maybe i´am missing something. Installed the software and tried it. Works good with my cam, tracking seems fine. But when i launch rfactor it doesn´t work. Is there some sort of plugin that i need inside the plugins folder?. maybe i have deleted some nessesary files.

Any help would be aprecciated.:D

I do not know if I mentioned it, but you have to launch rF, then tab out and turn the software on to make it work.

mmh really strange! have you modified .plr and controller.ini files? here works well, using v1.30 (i'm under Seven 64bit).

mmh really strange! have you modified .plr and controller.ini files? here works well, using v1.30 (i'm under Seven 64bit).

Yes, Diego. Modified both files. But still no luck to get it to work.

Sorry for the doublepost. But i got it. The trackir plugin inside the plugins folder was deleted.

What plugins are you using?
Here i use:
-RealFFB plugin
-Spotter plugin
-Data acquisition plugin
-LeoFFB plugin
(i see a "rFactorTrackIRplugin" but i don't know why lol )

i use the Nvidia fix too.

When you start program, you need to keep on tracking (clicking "start").

Don't you see anything when you leave box? just fixed camera?

EDIT: nice news!! :D anyway that "rFtrackIRplugin" seems to be in folder to default.

I'm finding this is hugely dependant on where your camera sits,at least it is for me.

It's on top of my monitor looking down at me and in rFactor it's like I'm sat on the floor and not on the seat.
Can barely see out the cockpit.

Gotta figure out where to put my camera now :rolleyes:

I've found I can just start the service then start rFactor.

You have to try and keep it as level with your face as possible. Also, watch the lighting on your face. Make sure it is even from left to right as well as top to bottom.

Would be nice to see this topic sticked; please keep updated with news! :D

It works very well. It´s a nice thing if you dont have the money to buy an original Trackir.

You have to try and keep it as level with your face as possible. Also, watch the lighting on your face. Make sure it is even from left to right as well as top to bottom.

That's going to be about impossible for me at this moment in time.
How do I make it so it just tracks left/right?
Not up/down forward/backward.

Do you have to draw those yellow lines on your face to make it work? ;)

looking FPS, i have one question: no way to have 60FPS (or more) in FaceTrackNoIR? i'd like to use all PS3 eye potential, but actually seems to work only at 30fps (watching video widget)

With my cam i can get only 30 fps. I dont think you will get more than 30fps with that program.

Well, I spent ages fine tuning my Noir settings, and now I think I've got something really nice and playable.

It follows my subtle looks and head rolls into corners, and if I really need to I can look at sidepod mirrors in F1 cars, but this requires a fair bit of head movement, as they're almost 90 degrees. It takes a little getting used to, reminds me of when I used to have alot of 'look to apex' in my .plr, but I'll soon be back up to speed I reckon All head movements work seamlessly, I have head roll, pitch and yaw enabled, and zooming in and out, although from my driving position that last one isn't always possible... but I can zoom with my head in repays! Which looks...

...well, it's looks ridiculous and I feel stupid when I do it :eek: A fun distraction tho

Like I said, it took some tweaking, but I'm intruiged at how well it works on my webcam, a cheap-as-chips Microsoft VX-3000.

And fyi, I only run one 25" monitor :)

From a post I made on NoGrip. Works great mate, many thanks!

Is there anything new with this? I'm thinking of doing it soon and want to make sure I have the latest information. I'll use the PS3 eye for rFactor... so can I avoid some of the programs(will have GlovePIE anyway for voice activated pit stop) as mentioned above?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I'm actually using FaceTrackNoIR - Revision 42 (I think the current update4 is possibly the Revision 26 or 27 version maybe). I never had to mess with the .PLR file inside the rFactor folder, so try using it without messing with those settings first. There are updates to the program every week, but they aren't official because of bugs and so forth, so I'm unsure when the next release will happen.

"...so can I avoid some of the programs?" I believe I had to install the free version of FaceAPI in order to make it work. But I think the author is trying to work on his own face recognition program, so he could be a little bit more free with options that he can't get from the free version of FaceAPI.

Back