rF2 vs Assetto Corsa multiplayer compared

stonec

Now that Assetto Corsa has launched their first version of multiplayer, it's interesting to compare it with rF2 and see what they do better/worse and what could be improved in rF2. Obviously AC multiplayer is still in early alpha, but at moment they have 500+ players online according to server listing, so obviously they are doing something right.

Plus (compared to rF2):

- Nice menu overview of servers, showing track, all cars available, current session, pings etc. Also filter by password. Why can't rF2 have these basic features in menu as well, such as filtering options and pings, after 2 years of development?
- When you don't have available content (tried to join server with modded Zolder track), it simply says "Server contains unavailable content". I think there is no track rotation allowed, so they escape the issue with rF2 where you have to download XX tracks to join a server.
- It seems that latencies are rather good and the MP implementation works well when latencies remain under 100 ms
- The booking system can be useful for scheduled events in leagues, you know exactly when the event is about to start

Minus:

- Huge limitations with booking system. Servers get full quickly but some of the booked drivers might be gone by the time the event starts. Too inflexible.
- Noticeable jitter when pings grow over 100 ms
- Big lack of features in general, voting, etc.
- Long list of unfinished stuff

I haven't tested the dedi yet myself so can't comment on that. But even this alpha multiplayer has a few things that are better done than rF2. Especially the menu overview, I really like that. Also, servers are much more accessible than in rF2, with no need to download several tracks to join. The rF2 getmod URL system really needs to be made more user friendly so that servers with custom mods would rely more on it.

Anyway, apart from the accessibility and menu, rF2 multiplayer is technically superior at moment. I just hope those small issues would be fixed one day in rF2.

Is the booking system mandatory or can it be bypassed by admins?

It's not a plus. At best, it can be considered as the lazy answer to the problem you described.

Maybe not, but it's also impractical to try joining servers with 10+ custom tracks that you all have to find download links to. And that's the way a lot custom servers are set up, because admins don't bother creating new vmods due to the complicated mod creation process. What admins do is they create one vmod with, say, 10 tracks. Then they pick 3-5 of those tracks and put them in rotation and change the rotation weekly. But user has to download all 10 tracks of vmod, even if the aren't in server rotation...

AC MP has a lot of issues, a lot of lag, a lot of people can't even join any server, a lot of crash and frezz, the 5sec penalty.....

for a free MP, a lot of servers always full, huge potencial, no graphical fps issues, very enjoyable, 40+ official servers. it's a killer for rFactor 2 that has been out for too long. sad to say RIP rFactor2

I did just a quick try...why quick? because it was pain in the ass to join any server even though there were a lot of server also with free slots. So not a huge difference to rf2 accessibility :D

My first impression were that I hate the booking system. It totally sucks that I can't join in the middle of a session. Maybe I should give the system some more time to find positives out of it...

Atm AC mp lacks alot of features so it's not fair to compare it to rf2 yet... wtf is going on with race ending after 1st finishes the race :p So yea, must wait for updates before I can give a final verdict.

Ps. For me, rf2 driving (especially ffb) feels quite alot better than AC. Ac don't come even near what I experienced with Meganes on modern Spa in rf2.

also tried only brifly.. more or less, and i find their MP concept pretty good, even the booking is quite good, but only for public racing, for leagues you need what rf2 has, so you need to have choice of both.

I could not test it anymore because so hate how AC drives that i had to turn it off, but i was testing for like hour and a half and i can tell the public drivers in AC are even worse than in rF2, because turn1, 2 and 3 collisions are absolutelly guaranteed. So as a concept i like it, shame is a concept in a game i really regret spending every penny i did at it...

The most amazing thing so far is the huge number of online players, for an early access software from a company that just developed a not very popular sim in the past.

MP is still clearly undeveloped, but for someone who wants rF2 to succeed, this is really worrying. The ratio of online players is easily 10:1 or similar... and we will see how many people of will extend the online access in one month.

for a free MP, a lot of servers always full, huge potencial, no graphical fps issues, very enjoyable, 40+ official servers. it's a killer for rFactor 2 that has been out for too long. sad to say RIP rFactor2

Free MP: Here you are right. Its so easy to download a cracked AC everywhere.

it's a killer for rFactor 2: I think ISI guys just sold the office tables last night. So you´re right again.

very enjoyable: Yes, also the holocaust was enjoyable to some guys living in central Europe.

sad to say RIP rFactor2: Im also sad. The casket was so expensive.

it's just everyone jumping on to try it, I've not even updated yet lol

the excitement will die down

rf2 will all be about leagues after a bit more progression of development

The main issue is that you don't really have a market of potential good simdrivers in rF2 to drive in such leagues, usually leagues go to where the people is driving and sadly rF2 community is getting smaller everyday.

Also of course it's easy to say with hindsight, but I think it was a mistake of ISI to charge for multiplayer instead of DLC's. The content from ISI has been really high quality lately, and it's probably expensive to produce such content. Whereas multiplayer, what special does it offer that is worth paying for? It offers 4 ISI servers you can join, and lucky members of a league can race on the league server. For the random racer, multiplayer hardly offers anything. Neither does autoupdate, which has usually issues and you are better off updating manually anyway.

As Eduard said, leagues (at least the majority) will use whatever game is more popular. That's why rF had so many leagues.

AC excitement will go down for sure, first days are always different, but on the other hand there isn't yet official modding support... they haven't shown all their cards.

I also agree with stonec reflexion.

I havent Assetto Corsa ... can someone please explain me how the mismatch system works (i mean a minimum of file check, so to avoid blatant cheats)?

Also, how the penality system works ( for counter way driving etc)?

The flag system is ok?
Pit stops are ok?

re.content

rf2 has a stack of cars already ( including a range of quality Historics ) ,
a small but slowly growing list of quality tracks ( lots of sub standard tracks IMO that I don't even bother to install) hopefully the updates of older official tracks will improve things too

more f1 tracks will come & existing ones should get updated from leagues such as FSR & other f1 leagues

historX mod should be coming yo rf2 as well hopefully

just a few more quality tracks & a few more GOOD builds and IMO there will be more than enough content for online leagues in rf2

the sooner the auto updater is seamless the better ( it should be removed if it's not 100% solid )

I can stick to one sim-car & about 8 quality tracks for a few years and be happy,
I don't like jumping between sim cars & don't mind a sim having a small to medium amount of content as long as it's of high quality

if a sim had 1000 cars and a 1000 tracks I'd still only use 1 car and a small batch of tracks

Last edited:
If AC is so good why are you still here? If Rf2 doesn't offer you what you need then find something that does. Just stop coming on here and moaning about this games does this and that and yours don't. You know what Rf2 has to offer so why keep on moaning?

I think AC is pretty good if you like simcades. RF2 is a real sim. It will only keep getting better in my opinion.

Ok guys, go for it. Blast away on my opinion about AC.

Scott -I see AC as simcade ( but a decent simcade I guess) so I agree

I don't really get on with the ffb in AC in it's current state,

AC may change in the future though who knows

Surely now there are more people playing online to GT6 that AC and RF2 together and not so he has to be better than these.

AC is a popular game and offers what most people want, a simple "simulation" without complications. Everyone can take the fast car and everyone can believe that it is a top driver.

I doubt any self-respecting league pass AC, leagues users seeking to fill servers and collect fees, probably yes. Leagues who want to provide simulation, will continue with RF2 or any other simulator. Different games, different markets and different users.

New leagues and new communities were created but seeketh simulation, looking for something more serious.

IMo and i have converted my brother too, to rf2. RF offers a more sim like game. You want gfx and a forza like experience yes ac is for you. It has good handling but for mr that's it. Its dull and lifeless.

RF feels like the track and car is alive things are being simulated be it tyres real road weather. Etc etc. And the ai are the best I've ever played.

Acs new update causes the ai to not take corners properly. It has a lot of issues, im even confident to say more than rf.

Its good to have a wide choice of Sims Vo something I've never had on a 360

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_260 using Tapatalk

I wonder if it is possible to like two or more games at once..... call me crazy.... but I think that is entirely possible!

Maybe not, but it's also impractical to try joining servers with 10+ custom tracks that you all have to find download links to. And that's the way a lot custom servers are set up, because admins don't bother creating new vmods due to the complicated mod creation process. What admins do is they create one vmod with, say, 10 tracks. Then they pick 3-5 of those tracks and put them in rotation and change the rotation weekly. But user has to download all 10 tracks of vmod, even if the aren't in server rotation...

Oh give it a break gessus 2 years move on then if you still whining.

Typical AC thread and you start in on RF2

I wonder if it is possible to like two or more games at once..... call me crazy.... but I think that is entirely possible!

I think it's possible too.

It looks like CMS is going to do some "fun races" with AC to start with. That's the same thing they did when RF2 came out. I think using RF2 and AC will turn out very good for the "hard core racer(RF2)" and the "just want to have fun racer(AC)".

I think it's possible too.

It looks like CMS is going to do some "fun races" with AC to start with. That's the same thing they did when RF2 came out. I think using RF2 and AC will turn out very good for the "hard core racer(RF2)" and the "just want to have fun racer(AC)".

Your close-mindedness and stubborness is impressive. Is it that difficult to believe more than one software can simulate real life events? Not all of their content is top notch much like here. I had great fun with a very rubbered Monaco/Monza 66 with Brabhams (by myself as AI is crash happy and ignores player) while I had a ghastly time with the GTs and a couple of other cars.

I hope I never give that impression.

I have 8 sims installed.

AC
FT
GPL
GTL
GTR
pCAR
rF
rf2

plus 2 demos ( NCG and Spintires )

Call me crazy but it proves nothing I drive rF2 online 95%, offline would be 5 % of my time checking new mods tools tracks from all sims.

I like to celebrate all the stuff modders do for us ...........from worst to best, warts and all.

When Spa GPL is released I will spend a day in it .........

If IOM Full Road is ever released I will forget rF2 for a month. lol :)

Probably why most days I am the only one ever puts up Kyalami and Jarama

Somehow they are beneath 95% of rF2 drivers ? I never see them up ?

Last edited:
Your close-mindedness and stubborness is impressive. Is it that difficult to believe more than one software can simulate real life events? Not all of their content is top notch much like here. I had great fun with a very rubbered Monaco/Monza 66 with Brabhams (by myself as AI is crash happy and ignores player) while I had a ghastly time with the GTs and a couple of other cars.

You have no idea.

I havent Assetto Corsa ... can someone please explain me how the mismatch system works (i mean a minimum of file check, so to avoid blatant cheats)?

Also, how the penality system works ( for counter way driving etc)?

The flag system is ok?
Pit stops are ok?

there is a list of servers, each server has 3 scheduled sessions according to server settings, P, Q, and R.. before the P starts you can book yourself into the server and choose your car from selection. It will give you time when does the P start (say 5 minutes) .. in the mean time you can do someting else in AC.. like settings or i dont know.. when the time is up, you click join and it will put you on a server with all other players that booked in (there is max amout of players same as in any other MP game).. so you drive in /, than Q and than race.. the longest i have had was 10 laps... thanks to this the grids are quite full, but the drivetrs are disasterously bad...

- Have never seen any flags in AC yet
- pentalties in AC are pathetic, basically only existing penatly is that your throlltle stops responding for 5 seconds or you have eto slow down to 50kmh, and you get that penatly for every bloody getting of the road, when you loose control or take shortcut.. you get this penalty...
-pit stops - well.. there is automatically triggered pit limiter, which is also automatically deactivated once you leave pits, the pit stops them selfs, i dont know...
- I use Logitech Driving Force Pro, it has 17 buttons on it .. cca .. and 4 of it are not working in AC for some reason, and yet even with only 13 buttons (shigt paddles included) AC does not have enought of features to have something to assign to all of them, i still have 4 buttons unassigned, even after assigning everything that AC has except of Change camera.. 4 of the buttons are for looking around only, that will give you idea how simulaty the simulator is...
But dont get me wrong, there are many things that i really like. For example when you are adjusting your setup, by hovering your mouse onto anything you can adjust, a tooltip will come up explaining you what does it do, and how will the handling change by increasing or decreasing it, i would apriciate that in rf2 too, and some more features like their dynamic HUD that is basically made out of many various gadges that you can move around your screen and postion them as you wish. some thing are very counter-intuitive, but some are really good. Sadly the simulation it self, the driving, is simply really bad, and that is FFB included. I think what really shows here is that ISI is trully experienced SIM developer team and rf2 is only evolution of rF1, means that it effectivelly has been developed for many many years, that is why majority of steering wheels are plug and play, in AC i had to create dedicated FFB profile in order for my wheel to work as it shoud, adjusting mirrors, mirrors on HUD, seat postion... Little things like this that poeple dont really notice rf2 has so they dont apriciate it are completelly missing in AC

This thread is not about what rF2 offers, I am running one of the biggest rF2 sim racing leagues and I know rF2 has awesome physics, some great content and it has reputation as best sim among serious drivers. I'm just wondering why some small improvements to usability seems to be so hard to implement, which we already see in AC alpha multiplayer and in rF1. Such as showing basic things like ping and filtering by password in menu. And making the getmod URL system more accessible so that league admins would actually use it. AC puts a nice video+pdf showing how their new multiplayer systems work, while ISI gives zero help how to host custom mods with the already implemented URL hosting support.

This thread is not about what rF2 offers, I am running one of the biggest rF2 sim racing leagues and I know rF2 has awesome physics, some great content and it has reputation as best sim among serious drivers. I'm just wondering why some small improvements to usability seems to be so hard to implement, which we already see in AC alpha multiplayer and in rF1. Such as showing basic things like ping and filtering by password in menu. And making the getmod URL system more accessible so that league admins would actually use it. AC puts a nice video+pdf showing how their new multiplayer systems work, while ISI gives zero help how to host custom mods with the already implemented URL hosting support.

Ye.. that is true

Oh give it a break gessus 2 years move on then if you still whining.

Typical AC thread and you start in on RF2

I don't think it's a bad thing to compare with competitors and see what they do better/worse. Fact is that I see less than 100 drivers online most days playing rF2, when there are still around 300 on rF1 most days. There is a reason many leagues have not moved to rF2, one of those is the cumbersome usability of building/hosting mods which could be improved with quite little effort.

your close-mindedness and stubborness is impressive. Is it that difficult to believe more than one software can simulate real life events?

gui, the reason AC cannot simulate real life racing is that it simply lacks the features necessary. Without realroad, flat spotting and weather AC just lacks the tools to be a sim. In this generation of racing sims the bar has been raised. That is why AC can't be considered anything more than simcade in its present form. Even the Codies F1 sim cade games have weather. IMHO AC is less of a sim than those games.

I never said it was a bad thing ?

Why do people always put crap in my mouth here ?

I am saying if anyone are still unhappy 2+ years on with something like GET MOD which we all know won't change ( as it is the best way to be rid of mismatches ...period ) then why waste your life here, move on, go to AC whatever. ?

It is a fair assumption and question. ?

I can assure you, you will never see me posting in AC and pCARS forums comparing them to rFactor2 unless I receive a lobotomy.

Of a morning ( Aust time ) I have see 300+ on rF2 no worries.

That will grow and dwarf GTR and rF room numbers eventually.

Only a matter of time, how long did it take before Leagues transitioned from any one sim to another.

Personally I think any league does not take advantage of a superior driving simulation in rF2 is worrying about their familiarity and consistence in the League more then the actual racing.

Last edited:

Back