Chapman Track Creator

Progress Report: All of the objects that can be used to create and texture the track geometry have been defined. All 16 of them!

A couple of quick updates: (1) I've made it easier to work on the project from different locations. (2) Now the real fun begins with coding the stuff to create and keep track of the various objects.

Apparently, the coding technique that I was using to manage the objects is out of date and there is a newer and safer way to do what needs to be done.

No rush. Just know that Mosport and other great tracks are waiting for you :p.

I am currently working on getting all of my code up to the current C++ standard. What a setback! I have to re-learn practically half the language because of the 2011 standard change that I didn't know about until about a month or so ago. On the plus side, there's far less likely to be "memory leaks" (memory marked as "taken" when it should be marked as "available") which means that the editor is less likely to eat up all of your computer's memory under the new standard.

Progress report:
  1. I found a few overly-specialized objects that will reduce versatility. I'm working to remedy that.
  2. Code for the objects are almost up to date with current C++ standard.
  3. I am almost ready to start binding the functions in the MFC framework to that of the objects that will be used to construct the track.

Question: Should I put this project on Kickstarter?

I hit a wall while trying to get the track editor to create an object.

Update: Every time I add a new object, I'm going to have to add an "#include" entry to almost every single cpp file in the project. This could become time-consuming. Not to mention, the editor crashed when I tried to create the project, so I'm going to have to track that down.

Last edited:
I just made a brake-through in development! The Scene Controller is working perfectly so far now that I have learned how to do "polymorphism" under the new C++ standard. I suppose I should fix the bug with the "File Names" field returning the exact same value as the "Project Name" field within the "New Track" dialog.

Thanks.

Apparently, I've been lied to about the new C++ standard. Can't use the new object's deleters without causing CTD (I built a simple test application to get those results) so I'm going to use the "old school" stuff and if any "expert" programmers want to say that doing so is "bad code," then they're going to have to find a good way to support their assertion.

Quite strong words there. Are you sure there wasn't just a mistake or an oversight?

All bugs with the track editor have been fixed except for the one with the window not actually maximizing.

New Screenshot

New Screenshot Available!
View attachment 16323
At the bottom right, you can see in the Properties window the properties of the Test Track item that has been selected in the Scene Explorer just above it. Next step will be implementing functions to allow you to change those properties (ClassID property is locked).

This is outside my realm of knowledge but it's great to see you making progress. I am always supportive of these measures and still vividly remember the long process of the GP4 Track Editor's development and the outstanding benefits it brought to the game and community five years after the game's release. I also like some of the other stuff you have briefly hinted at in your site.

First post updated with some new links.

Added link to the YouTube channel where I will upload videos on the track editor to (and I do intend on uploading some videos soon).
Added link to the Twitch channel that I will do live-streams about the track editor (and I do intend on live-streaming).
Added link to the official subreddit.

Last edited:
New screenshot available. This one highlights the basic item structure for the scene explorer. Next up, I have to implement the graphics accelerator to the window labeled "Viewport" window so that we can see our track being created.
View attachment 16413
The "Configuration" adds stuff like checkpoints (miss them to get black-flagged), pit box and garage locations, etc. For ISI simulators, the first three items that you see in the "Course" item can be placed outside that item to create geometry that is shared between courses. That's in addition to the items within the "Course" item, which creates course-specific geometry.

I'm in the process of implementing the 3D accelerator. This needs to be implemented before the rest of the objects are fully implemented so that I can check their implementation to make sure that it is correct. So far, so good.

I've been having some computer issues lately on the computer I'm using to develop this track editor. So progress is suspended until I get those issues resolved.

EDIT: Issue resolved! Progress will resume.

Last edited:
I have two new screenshots of the track editor. This time showing the new 3D accelerator implementation of the viewport:

First test of DirectX 11.
View attachment 16766

Second test of DirectX 11 with Fraps running (once I figured out that I need to tell the application to continuously redraw the scene).
View attachment 16767

Quick updates: I have two new screenshots of the track editor here. The screenshots are of the implementation of the Scene Explorer's context menu being able to insert objects into the scene.

Also, I will soon be testing the track editor's WINE compatibility so that it can be used on Linux systems.

New blog post. We're getting close to having more screenshots. This time, they will be of track surfaces and (eventually) walls.

Apparently, the rFactor 2 forums has been deleted as well as the CTC thread in that forum. So I will post updates to the track editor here. I'm currently working on a video progress report. But there's not much to report since the editor has been on hold for the last few months.

Here's the video report.

Last edited:
I've been mostly making progress reports on the rFactor 2 forum thread. But I will also try to update this thread in the future. I have a live stream scheduled for tomorrow at 2:00 PM here.

Back