Testers needed

Gjon Camaj

I looking for some people to test out a version of rF that doesn't include the Trymedia Activation. Anyone interested please let me know via PM. It shouldn't interfere with your current version of rFactor.
Thanks,
Gjon

hi Gjon,
i'm Federico and i'm italian.
wich requirements need?
are you looking for another way to preserve rF from crack?

@Carra It's just so they don't have to use Trymedia to process their payments.

@Gjon
I successfully downloaded the 1 gig test version.
Installed it.
Tested in demo mode first of all. Set up controls and graphics etc.
Gave it a try, seemed to work ok, although G27 force feed back was just eek'. No idea what it was doing, wheel was all over the place, had to turn FFB off.
After that I tried to activate with my old rF1 activation code. It come up with "Invalid key (no dashes were found)". I don't have dashes in my code.
If you were wanting me to purchase a new key, it's asking me for $37.99 USD. Gjon, give me your credit card number and I'll be happy to try for you :D;) .

Last edited:
Old activations, with the new version, cant work.

You have to install again your "stock" v1255 (the one with Trymedia) if you want to play with your old instance.
Also, i guess you dont need to reactivate it, assuming you didnt delete the Trymedia license files.

After that I tried to activate with my old rF1 activation code. It come up with "Invalid key (no dashes were found)". I don't have dashes in my code.
To get a Product Key follow the "Already Purchased" link. That Key has dashes :)

Tested it and it works Gjon. a few things:

downloaded, installed, allready-purchased-link to get a new product key. I got the email, got it twice actualy, used it and it accepted it.

Went online asuming there would be a Kodi-server by you guys for us to test with. joined a random server which looked like it was using stock rf stuff but got a exe.mismatch and was booted.

Installed my league files, went on our own server and it was good, no mismatches. not sure what the exe mismatch was about.

FFB is realy wierd though. at first it didn't work at all, then the values where just max strenght no matter what i chose (low/medium/high/full)
Did not spend too much time fixing it tbh but one thing that strucked me was that FFB would not work at all when going out and 6 seconds after i entered the track it would suddenly kick in.
Tried that a few times, was the same every try.

But as far as installing and getting it to work online, all good appart from the first mismatch which could have been the server itself although i've never ever had that 1 before.

That worked Gjon, thanks.
I used that link and had your site send me new key. Then activated my install.
I gave it a good testing offline and online.
I found a few new tracks that I never had before, mostly oval tracks, but:-.
The first one I tried was 'Euro-Ring', that crashed when loading with "gMotor Error: Error loading texture LENS_FLARE_SUN for material SUN".
Then I tried 'Fort Worth Speedway', that loaded ok, but the AI don't work.
Then I tried 'Concord International Speedway' (Fuels 600), "Error loading mesh file PITWALL_11.GMT to memory". The long version worked.
Toban worked, never tried the other tracks.

Testing Online:-
Installed Megane2 Mod.
Joined a server with no mismatch. Then had a race with some other guy. All fine.

Last edited:
No more FFB issues DJ?

I forgot to mention that FFB strenght remains when pressing esc and going back to garage, it keeps the force applied whilst it normaly releases the wheel when not on track.

To get a Product Key follow the "Already Purchased" link. That Key has dashes :)

Yeah, right. "To obtain your rFactor1 Product Key, enter your Purchase Order Number (more info) and the email address used when you first activated rFactor. Your rFactor1 Product Key will be emailed to this address. " rF1 original purchase was three moves, three computer builds, and three e-mail addresses ago. At least. I guess I'll start from scratch with this one, because the itch to do a new build is about to be, well, scratched.

I guess I won't start from scratch. The big red letters on the order page gives me pause. Requested support.

Last edited:
full install download failed to complete, attempt to re-download presented a dead link... probably intentional i expect.

the "lite" install works, original purchase number entered, returned a email with product key, activation complete.
was able to join league server with wrong content, mismatch, connection lost... so online works as well.
need more info let me know.

Old activations, with the new version, cant work.

You have to install again your "stock" v1255 (the one with Trymedia) if you want to play with your old instance.
Also, i guess you dont need to reactivate it, assuming you didnt delete the Trymedia license files.

LOL, looks like i completely missed the point, sorry.

About the FFB weirdness, did you try to invert the in game FFB strength?

Installed Full Version. Activated through "Already Purchased" (got new activation code). rFactor works. I`ve been able to create new player, and also copied my player folder from my current install of rF, it also works. Installed "V8 Unleashed" mod, connected to our league server without problems. Run few laps.

I have only 2 things to report:
1. The "Demo" watermark in main menu still flashes in a middle of a screen for a split second when I switch between menus.
2. When on track and just leaving the boxes, Pit Limiter is OFF by default (with both new created and old player profile). In previous installs of rF Pit Limiter was always ON by default.

Lite version not available to download, "Invalid or Deleted File".

I do not use FF, only center spring. It works as before. So can not comment on any FF issues.

Downloaded & activated without issue.

Struggling to find any servers running base content, managed to get connected to a server running SR GP @ Brianza but couldn't race due to a GDB mismatch.

Also seeing the 'Demo' graphic flash up when switching between screens at the menu.

Not tried FFB so can't comment on that (no wheel currently connected).

About the FFB weirdness, did you try to invert the in game FFB strength?

Yes. i did the usual and then i tried all sorts of other things.
just now i copied over my profile from the normal rf, same difference. its acting up pretty bad, now i leave the track without ffb, after a few seconds it kicks in, after that when holding the wheel centered on a straight i lose ffb, as soon as i turn in it kicks in full force again.

Do you have the original rFactor still installed, if so do you get any track loading issues?
That worked Gjon, thanks.
I used that link and had your site send me new key. Then activated my install.
I gave it a good testing offline and online.
I found a few new tracks that I never had before, mostly oval tracks, but:-.
The first one I tried was 'Euro-Ring', that crashed when loading with "gMotor Error: Error loading texture LENS_FLARE_SUN for material SUN".
Then I tried 'Fort Worth Speedway', that loaded ok, but the AI don't work.
Then I tried 'Concord International Speedway' (the long version), "Error loading mesh file PITWALL_11.GMT to memory". Short version worked.
Toban worked, never tried the other tracks.

Testing Online:-
Installed Megane2 Mod.
Joined a server with no mismatch. Then had a race with some other guy. All fine.

Do you have the original rFactor still installed, if so do you get any track loading issues?

I do have my original rFactor installed. No track loading issues. But like I said the tracks listed that don't work I never had in my original install anyway. Are they WIP tracks?

Anyone able to try it under Win8?

I tried it, but i'm running out of Options. lol

View attachment 4680

1. I have no access to my purchase mail address. So i changed that on the website and received the confirmation mail about the change. I also received a mail with the product key.
2. OS is Windows 8 Enterprise (Technet). The account is local administrator. I launched rF as standard user and with elevated privileges (runas Admin) and tried to activate. The game starts in demo mode every time, so i tried again until i reached the activation limit.

I do have my original rFactor installed. No track loading issues. But like I said the tracks listed that don't work I never had in my original install anyway. Are they WIP tracks?
These are all original tracks that work for other people and us here. Did you install this version on top of your previous install?

I first used 7zip to extract just the new EXEs from the installer and place them in my normal rFactor directory and then launched rFactor. I was able to get a new code using my old order ID. I plugged in the info and then it launches rFactor but then crashes before the logo goes away. I did that several times before going back and actually running the installer and installing in a new directory. This new standalone install prompted me for the key, I plug it in and it launches without crashing but it has the demo watermark. I close and relaunch, it asks for the code again. I put it in and it tells me I am out of activations.

I can run in demo on the stand alone install but my old install with the new EXEs just crashes.. even in demo mode.... ahhh... I bet that is because my normal install is missing a bunch of the default content that demo mode is probably looking for.

I guess I need to get my activations unlocked so I can do some more trouble shooting.

If you run out of activations testing this, please email me at purchase (at) rfactor (dot) net with the subject title "rF1_ISI Activation Renewal" and I will renew them. Please be sure to indicate in either the subject title or email body that the renewals are for the ISI rf1 version and not the trymedia version. Thanks.

Sounds like some people are having permission issues, meaning the activation files are coming from the server but not being written to your computers.

As for just using the new EXEs with the old installed version, thats not going to work. You can mix the content but not the program files.

... I did that several times before going back and actually running the installer and installing in a new directory. This new standalone install prompted me for the key, I plug it in and it launches without crashing but it has the demo watermark. I close and relaunch, it asks for the code again. I put it in and it tells me I am out of activations.
Are you using Win8?

What I did was make a backup of my original Trymedia folder (created during the original install in C:\ProgramData) and put it in a safe location.
I then downloaded and setup the 'keyed' non Trymedia version and first ran it in demo mode.
The activation key came back by e-mail rather quickly after I went through the 'already purchased' routine.
I then activated the sim using the key and it runs fine.
rFactor has changed so completely since it's inception that it's become very difficult to find guys racing the original non-modified version online anymore.

Last edited:
Do I get it right that this test is in need of testers who own the Trymedia version only? I got a good old DVD version, I guess this is not working for this test since I never got a key or had to activate, right? :)

Sounds like some people are having permission issues, meaning the activation files are coming from the server but not being written to your computers.

As for just using the new EXEs with the old installed version, thats not going to work. You can mix the content but not the program files.

I looked at the file dates for this new install and the only files that are new seem to be the EXE fies. That is why that is all I copied to my old install. Am I right to assume that once I get a fresh install activated that I can then do some more experimenting without the risk of wasting activations?

BTW, I am testing with Win7x64 with UAC disabled. I have another machine running Win8x64 (also with UAC disabled) that I was going to also test on.

Do I get it right that this test is in need of testers who own the Trymedia version only? I got a good old DVD version, I guess this is not working for this test since I never got a key or had to activate, right? :)

Correct

My activations were reset to 10 so I was able to try again. I put in my key and email and it doesn't give me an error or anything but it still starts up with the Demo watermark and the next time I run rF it prompts for the key again. Again, I am running Win7x64 with admin rights and UAC disabled. I should have access to write anywhere on the disk.

Any ideas?

My activations were reset to 10 so I was able to try again. I put in my key and email and it doesn't give me an error or anything but it still starts up with the Demo watermark and the next time I run rF it prompts for the key again. Again, I am running Win7x64 with admin rights and UAC disabled. I should have access to write anywhere on the disk.

Any ideas?

Problem solved and PM sent with more info.

Here is what sysinternals process monitor figured out for me.
OS is Windows8 Enterprise

View attachment 4691

Edit:
lol, that was easy. I created the folder ".rFactor" (had to use comandline, UI doesn't work) and "rFactor1" and received my rFactor.okay file. Game is activated!!!

View attachment 4692

Last edited:
Hahaha. I discovered the same thing also using procmon. Just create the directorys and activation will work.

I just checked my gaming rig which has rF2 on it and I noticed it already has the .rFactor folder. My guess is all you have to create is that folder. I bet all the people that have successfully activated this new build have rf2 on the same machine.

I just checked my gaming rig which has rF2 on it and I noticed it already has the .rFactor folder. My guess is all you have to create is that folder. I bet all the people that have successfully activated this new build have rf2 on the same machine.

Yup,

I got Rf1 on D:\ and RF2 + This RF1 test on C:\
Same drive, different partitions.

What I did was make a backup of my original Trymedia folder (created during the original install in C:\ProgramData) and put it in a safe location.
I then downloaded and setup the 'keyed' non Trymedia version and first ran it in demo mode.
The activation key came back by e-mail rather quickly after I went through the 'already purchased' routine.
I then activated the sim using the key and it runs fine.
rFactor has changed so completely since it's inception that it's become very difficult to find guys racing the original non-modified version online anymore.
Can you throw in some mod content that you race online and give that a try?

I have successfully got this version install and activated. I'm running Win 7 32 bit. I have 2 HD's C: & Q: C: is premier drive with all OS and programs installed on it. rF2 is also installed on this drive. All rF1 installs are on the Q: drive. 4 running with the Trymedia license and now this ISI version. Once I got the activation code it loaded up straight away and loads as a activated product every time. No demo watermark. No other issues.

What I'd like to know now is, will more then one install run on this activation?

Back