Windows 8

jwkj101401

I know I know its preview but I wanted to test it out and have only found 1 issue. Rfactor will not launch, it installs fine but fails to launch. Tried all different compatibility settings but none work(also tried run as admin). I think I have found the issue but not sure how to fix or if ISI will have to make a work around which im sure they wont do since rfactor2 is out.

It looks like rfactor is unable to create a trymedia folder on pc. This may be just a symptom and not root cause but unsure. Checked all normal directories, program data, all user app data, specific user's app data folder and none contain trymedia folder, and yes i made sure I could see all hidden folders and system folders :)

Anyone else try rfactor on windows 8 and if so have any success with resolving it?

btw using x64 version, and amd preview drivers for windows 8. Rfactor 2 Runs fine.

I have rF1 running on Windows 8. All you need to do is manually put the trymedia folder from your previous install in the correct location.

I get the same thing exactly. I also have arca and it runs fine. I am running the 64 bit version of windows 8 consumer preview. Rfactor 2 runs ok. Stock car Evolution 2012 will not start either.

Installed 32 bit windows 8 CP and I get a working rFactor. Don't know why it doesn't work in 64 bit.

Yes....rF2 works in both 32 and 64 bit. It's just rF1 that has issues with 64 bit win 8 CP

in reference to buddahtree post on rf1 for windows 8 on where to put trymedia folder in which location

I know I know its preview but I wanted to test it out and have only found 1 issue. Rfactor will not launch, it installs fine but fails to launch. Tried all different compatibility settings but none work(also tried run as admin). I think I have found the issue but not sure how to fix or if ISI will have to make a work around which im sure they wont do since rfactor2 is out.

It looks like rfactor is unable to create a trymedia folder on pc. This may be just a symptom and not root cause but unsure. Checked all normal directories, program data, all user app data, specific user's app data folder and none contain trymedia folder, and yes i made sure I could see all hidden folders and system folders :)

Anyone else try rfactor on windows 8 and if so have any success with resolving it?

btw using x64 version, and amd preview drivers for windows 8. Rfactor 2 Runs fine.

LOL ONLY ONE issue....won't run LOL. Kinda hard to find problems if you can start app LOL

Hi!

I tried rFactor on Windows 8 RTM x64 the other day, and as you guys have stated it does not work. Nothing happens. I didn't have an old copy laying around so I couldn't copy the TryMedia stuff and see if that solved it.

So, currently the only fix I found was to actually download the NoDVD crack and use that one. That doesn't feel "right", but as a paying customer I at least expect the software to work...

DRM ftw.

Hi!

So, currently the only fix I found was to actually download the NoDVD crack and use that one. That doesn't feel "right", but as a paying customer I at least expect the software to work...

DRM ftw.

So the NoDVD works for you eh? May have to give it a try.

G27 version doesn't work either. I tried manually placing my TryMedia folder which also didn't work. The method others have pointed out did work though.

Would be nice to get some idea from ISI on this, with rF2 still a long way from being adopted by many racing leagues including mine and W8 just around the corner, many of us would like to know is we will be able to upgrade and still be able to run rF1...or not. One way or the other, it's time we knew...

Would be nice to get some idea from ISI on this, with rF2 still a long way from being adopted by many racing leagues including mine and W8 just around the corner, many of us would like to know is we will be able to upgrade and still be able to run rF1...or not. One way or the other, it's time we knew...
Well, if it's not on the system requirements, it isn't supported yet, like Mac OS isn't, as an example. HOWEVER, there is a high probability this will be fixed, it is possible TryMedia will not be an issue soon...

Cheers Tim, that is all that is needed, hold off for a bit it may be getting sorted.

Wolf I thought the same until some folk I respect the opinion of changed my thinking.

Why would anyone want to downgrade to windows 8???

Really, you're jumping on that bandwagon? Why do they have to justify it to you?

It's an operating system, it's simply a tool people use to accomplish tasks. OP asked a simple question related to his system configuration. That's what he uses. That's what he wants to test this beta software on.

Really, you're jumping on that bandwagon? Why do they have to justify it to you?

It's an operating system, it's simply a tool people use to accomplish tasks. OP asked a simple question related to his system configuration. That's what he uses. That's what he wants to test this beta software on.

There are reasonable expectations, then there's Windows 8. It's a bandwagon that should be got on, driven to MS and exploded in what's called a terrorist act with justification.

But in context this here's all about RF2 and the running of it in all environments so a fair call really.

There are reasonable expectations, then there's Windows 8. It's a bandwagon that should be got on, driven to MS and exploded in what's called a terrorist act with justification.

But in context this here's all about RF2 and the running of it in all environments so a fair call really.

rF1 actually to be irritatingly picky LOL

Users\All Users\Trymedia\

By default, the Users folder is located in root directory on main OS partition so usually, that would be:
c:\Users\All Users\Trymedia\

Ok i havefound it.Bur what can i do now that rF works with Win8?

Doc

Hi,

I have installed the new windows 8 64 bit version, but rfactor 2 doesn't work. Can you help me please how to fix it?

Last edited:
Never the less; it's very special that this current game (as the new one is not really out yet) is not supported by a normal OS. The comparison to mac osx is a bit odd and this -windows 8- should be able to run RF.
How long has it been available? And the test version?

Guys are forced to use an illegal patch for a game they bought........

Never the less; it's very special that this current game (as the new one is not really out yet) is not supported by a normal OS. The comparison to mac osx is a bit odd and this -windows 8- should be able to run RF.
How long has it been available? And the test version?

Guys are forced to use an illegal patch for a game they bought........

Windows 8? A month or so. Test version? A month or so.

I don't see anybody else updating games from 2005 to work with Windows 8....

Perhaps, considering the system requirements never mentioned Windows 8, and still dont, as compatible back in 2005, some patience? rFactor2 takes some level of priority. :)

I think Navigetor is refering to rF2 when clearly this thread is in the rF1 subform.

Windows 8? A month or so. Test version? A month or so.

Well, actually; the test (I did mean pre-release by that, so my bad) is out for a bit longer now.

I don't see anybody else updating games from 2005 to work with Windows 8....
True, but there are few company's having a sequel to a game 7 years later. Plus; I didn't read about any other games who had to DO that.

the system requirements never mentioned Windows 8
That's just a lame excuse; sorry to say that. We are not talking about Ubuntu or things like that here; it's a normal sequel to an existing os that shouldn't be to hard to fix the game to; guys are fixing this problem with a "no dvd fix" ........I can't imagine it's going to take ISI months then.

rFactor2 takes some level of priority
So.....the guys who are still using rF1 and want to update........just forget about them for the time beïng? Not so nice considering it's a big community who have payed money too......
There are guys using rF2 that still want to run 1 once in a while; there are the "big league's", the great mods, cars and tracks.

Back