Windows 8

We didn't have to do any update for W8, but we did. The new version works with Windows 8 just fine. Not quick enough to satisfy YOU, but it's OK as far as I can see. W8 has been out a very short time, and so has rF1 v1255b.
Since we have new game servers now with windows 2012 server the dedicated server tends to crash randomly when the next track is loaded. Do you recommend to use the v1255c version or is there anything else we can do?

When was Fifa 13 released? A few months ago, kinda the same time Windows 8 was.
When was rF1 released? 2005. That is 7 long long YEARS ago.

Try comparing with Fifa 2005/06. I wonder how that works in Windows 8 considering you can find many people have problems running Fifa 12 in Windows 8.
rFactor is still very pricey for its age while Fifa 2005 for PC costs 3 € at amazon.de including shipping. You also have to take into account the product life cycle. EA sells a new version almost every year so when version x is out nobody cares about its predecessor. rFactor2 is not "gold" so rFactor1 is still the version ISI should care about.

SOLVED I installed RF with "windows 7" compatibility and as administrator on setup.exe and rf work! :)

Now is a clean installation without plugins, can any plugin cause the crash?

SOLVED I installed RF with "windows 7" compatibility and as administrator on setup.exe and rf work! :)

Now is a clean installation without plugins, can any plugin cause the crash?

They all can, it depends on the plugin.

Sent from a mobile device using Tapatalk

Did you have any plugins that rely on d3d9.dll like GID, rFDynaHUD, spotter or TV Style? Those types of plugins will fail if you forget to copy the d3d9.dll from the old install.

I also had trouble with installing rF 1 after the upgrade to W8. But I found out using the NoDVD-exe did the job. Only thing I still can't get to work is the XD-tool made by Virtumo. Downloading 1255c as we speak. Maybe the XD-tool will work in the new install. But if I read Noel's posting I'm not sure if that will work because the tool uses a d3d9.dll file. Should Virtumo compile a new version of it to make it work in W8?

Last edited:
Hi,
first of all thank you ISI for updtating rfactor to 1.255c ;) Now it works great on Windows 8. Now i try to tell you a problem I have: with the previous version of the rf.exe I used the RFHIGHVOLTAGE plugin (with last updates) and KERS and DRS were ok but with the 1.255c nothing to do... I know that probably you could say "it is a problem of the rfhighvoltage plugin developer" :p But... do you have any ideas about that? Or do you now another KERS plugin?
I am driving for a Championship please :)

p.s. sorry for my bad English ;)

Those plugins read and write raw memory address and no doubt those memory addresses have changed on this new EXE. The plugin devs will have to add support for this new EXE.

About the XD plugin.. I use GID (now) but I had the problem with both XD (in Race07) and GID. The way I worked around it is by add an exception in MSI Afterburner OSD server to ignore rF (add rFactor.exe to the list and disable OSD for it).

Just came across this one a couple of hours ago (one more lost night) after weeks trying to understand why.

It seems that a DX9 (at least) app does not like two layers (GID and-or XD) and then an OSD on top of it...

I hope it helps.

If a developer sells a product on their site today, it must still work on the operating system of today. There's no getting around that. It's called support.

I do not have Windows 8, but if I had it, I wouldn't be pretty happy if I bought it this week and it didn't work on my OS.

But, having said that, this is by far my favorite game of all time :D Thanks for that!

This... And, all old titles that I have on my HDD are running fine in W8. Guess which one it's not?

Just because it's running okay on your system and some others, doesn't mean it has to run well on all W8 systems........me, for one, can throw the game in the garbage can.
Santagoss might just have a point.

Nav, you said in another thread that you have stutters on Win8 so you went back to Win7 and still have stutters. Sounds like your problems have nothing to do with rF1 or the OS.

I would suggest doing a fresh new rF1 Lite install and then install one mod at a time. I wouldn't even restore your UserData folder on this fresh new install. Also don't bother with plugins until you prove it is stable without them.

I am running rF1 on Win8x64 without any problems. Even on a slow laptop with integrated Intel graphics (not even Sandy Bridge).

I wouldn't run around posting in every Win8 thread saying rF1 no longer works in Win8. Because this just isn't true and creates confusion for those that are interested in solving their problems. Most people don't realize there is a new build that removes TryMedia which solves the compatibility problems with Win8. They come in asking for help and they see you confirming that it doesn't work on Win8.

I wouldn't run around posting in every Win8 thread saying rF1 no longer works in Win8. Because this just isn't true and creates confusion for those that are interested in solving their problems. Most people don't realize there is a new build that removes TryMedia which solves the compatibility problems with Win8. They come in asking for help and they see you confirming that it doesn't work on Win8.
Where is info on this new build (I assume v1255c on the ISI site is "new").

I also couldn't get rF1 to run on Win8, looked in the obvious support place which is the FAQ forum and the only "relevant" thread is "Can I run rFactor on Windows 7?", so google searched and found lots of "can't run rF 1 on Win8 threads".

Perhaps someone from ISI could put a sticky in the FAQ forum? Would save confusion.

Edit - Update of 1255c to use key worked well, good stuff ISI. Unfortunately also appears that if you update your base rF to 1255c and are running on Win8, you need to update all your rF lite installs (I have many, 1 for each mod) to 1255c.

Last edited:
Where is info on this new build (I assume v1255c on the ISI site is "new").

I also couldn't get rF1 to run on Win8, looked in the obvious support place which is the FAQ forum and the only "relevant" thread is "Can I run rFactor on Windows 7?", so google searched and found lots of "can't run rF 1 on Win8 threads".

Perhaps someone from ISI could put a sticky in the FAQ forum? Would save confusion.

Edit - Update of 1255c to use key worked well, good stuff ISI. Unfortunately also appears that if you update your base rF to 1255c and are running on Win8, you need to update all your rF lite installs (I have many, 1 for each mod) to 1255c.

I agree. They haven't done a very good job of advertising this new build.

FYI, to upgrade your lite installs, all you need to do is copy the three EXEs (rF Config.exe, rFactor.exe and rFactor Dedicated.exe) to all your installs. Those are the only files that changed.

Hmm... which one is that? Surely not rFactor1 because it is running flawless for me along with most other people on Win8x64.

Download 1.255c here:
http://downloads.imagespaceinc.com/rFactorSetup1255c_Lite.exe

First of all, I am Brazilian, so sorry for my English is not so perfect.

I bought my first rFactor long ago and no longer had my code purchase. I then made ​​a request through a form and receive by email a download link and my activation code. However, this link directs me to version 1255, but as I use the Windows 8 64-bit, I need version 1255c. I downloaded this version by the link you provided but when I try to activate it, I get the following message: "invalid key (the dashes were found)."

Please, I no longer know what to do.

If I run v1255c does that mean the League I run in has to update their server to the same version?
Win 8 64-bit here

Just installed rF1 Lite v1255c on Windows 8.
I was able to re-activate and start rF1 it with no problems.
I now want to use this as the basis for my mods (as I have done before in Win7).

Now I will need to reinstall my mods using this rF1 Lite install, and I guess I can just copy over my UserData folders from the old versions?
Does the grinding tranny mod still work on windows 8?
Does this new exe work with the G27 wheel rev lights?
Does v1255c use the 4 Gig of Windows 8?

I agree. They haven't done a very good job of advertising this new build.

FYI, to upgrade your lite installs, all you need to do is copy the three EXEs (rF Config.exe, rFactor.exe and rFactor Dedicated.exe) to all your installs. Those are the only files that changed.

Everything works fine!
Thanks ISI.
I am running on my new Lenovo Y500, and getting 200+ FPS with max settings.
My SLI ultrabay comes tomorrow, so I will be able to run both GT 650Ms in rF1 and rF2 :cool:

Just installed rF1 Lite v1255c on Windows 8.
I was able to re-activate and start rF1 it with no problems.
I now want to use this as the basis for my mods (as I have done before in Win7).

Now I will need to reinstall my mods using this rF1 Lite install, and I guess I can just copy over my UserData folders from the old versions?

Correct

Does the grinding tranny mod still work on windows 8?

Haven't tried. Good question.

Does this new exe work with the G27 wheel rev lights?

The EXE doesn't suport the LEDs natively but the LED plugin should work.

Does v1255c use the 4 Gig of Windows 8?

No. But the 4GB patch will work on this exe just as it did on 1.255F.

Grinding tranny mod works fine for me.
I guess I will have to apply the 4gb patch.
I have not really noticed any difference without it, although I am only doing hotlaps at the moment.

Correct

Haven't tried. Good question.

The EXE doesn't suport the LEDs natively but the LED plugin should work.

No. But the 4GB patch will work on this exe just as it did on 1.255F.

in my runs fine too.. i think the problem is on .exe file try using a non dvd crack fix and should be ok. Works for me

I know this thread is old, but just recently upgraded to Windoze8 and this thread really helped get me going again.

However, I am having a problem that is unusual (to me anyhow):

I use lots of different mods (VHR, meganes, ILMS, etc., etc., and so on). With the original version, I would set up an new install for each mod so that the program would load without much delay. Seemed the more tracks and cars I added, the slower it would go.

With the new 1.255c, if I install a second copy for my ILMS mods and tracks, when I try to play the mods installed with the first copy of rfactor, the install is not available and I go straight into my second install.

Well, I changed the folder in which the game starts in the shortcut, but if I try to run my meganes mod and the corresponding tracks in the first install, those tracks are not available online.

What gives? Is there an environmental variable that can be changed so that I can have the different installs? Or, has the extra slow loading when you have too many different cars and tracks in a single install been overcome?

Thanks for your help.

Maybe there is a path set wrong.
Look into the "config.ini" (main game directory) if, for example, the TracksDir=.... matches the location where the tracks are installed.

Just a quick note of thanks to all posters in this thread. I very recently got a new 'puter (really big one, too) with Win8 and was having issues launching rF1. This "Ol' Fart" of a thread came in handy in solving my issues. And, I didn't even need to d/l v1255c neither...lol.

UPDATE: I downloaded v1255c and discovered after loading up and inserting my old key that I needed a "new" key to activate. When this occurred, ISI has built into their Run routine an order form from which you can request a new Order Number (they have your original purchase order on file) and Key Number. Getting this new Order/Key Number sure makes reinstallation a snap instead of having to go through all the motions described in this thread.

Cheers,
RJ

Last edited:
UPDATE: I found the solution by going to Logitech's website and downloading the most recent Profiler / Driver for the MoMo Force. OMG, I could not believe my eyes when I saw that not only did Logitech still support my MoMo Force, but that they had updated the Profiler and Driver for Win8 . . . WAY BACK IN 2010!!!!! These guys at Logitech are spot on!

Oh, and for those wondering about what I meant by "a really big one, too", here she is in all her glory and can't wait to take rF2 out for a spin around the block . . .

Win 8 64bit
i7 3820 @ 3.6GHz Quad Core - Liquid Cooled & Dedicated VRM Fans
32GB DDR3-1600MHz w/HyperX Spreaders & Dedicated HyperX Fans
nVidia GTX-660 1.5GB GDDR5
7.1 Beats Audio; Polk Audio and Boston Acoustics w/Powered Sub-Woofer; Creative Fatal1ty Phones w/Mic
Blu-Ray / SuperMulti DVD Burrner
3TB SATA
600 Watts PSU
LAN: 1000 Base-T Ethernet & 802.11 a/b/g/n Dual-Band Wireless
PIPE: 6mips Down / 1.5mips Up
27" HD HP Monitor
15-1 Mem Card Reader; 4x 3.0 USB, 4x 2.0 USB
Logitech MoMo Force (Big Red) FFB Wheel w/Pedals
Thrustmaster Cougar FLCS / HOTAS Throttle Quadrant
Gimballed LED Cup Holder

Last edited:
I can´t config my wheel and pedals in-game . g27 wheel and Clubsport pedals . In rf2 wheel and pedals work well .
W8 64-bit is the problem i think ?

I can´t config my wheel and pedals in-game . g27 wheel and Clubsport pedals . In rf2 wheel and pedals work well .
W8 64-bit is the problem i think ?
That's really strange, Morten. I just looked at my rF1 in-game Customize|Settings|Controls|Mappings-Rates-Force Feedback-Controller1-Controller2 tabs are fully functional on my Win8 64bit system. Have you downloaded and installed Logitech's latest Profiler? This Profiler will integrate the Win8's Game Controller protocols with rF1. rF2 already takes this into consideration regardless of what Logitech Profiler you use. Just a thought . . .

Yes i have latest profiler , v 5.10.127 .If i disconnect my g27 then i can config my pedals(Club sport pedals) ,if i connect wheel too then i can´t do anything .

Nope,still have a problem :p

I don't have Windows 8 but maybe there is a conflict between wheel and pedals.
I remember some people who had issues with G25 and G27 because they connected it with the computer, started the computer and windows used it's own drivers.

To get rid of the problems, they had to unconnect their wheels and remove ALL entrys, according to G25 and G27 out of the windows registry. And if it is installed, uninstall the LGS software too.
Then reebot the computer and at first install the LGS Software and during the installation-routine you'll get the message when you may connect the wheel. Then go on with the installation routine and configure the wheel with the LGS software.

If i understood it right, you connect the wheel and the pedals to different USB-ports.
Maybe you can see a conflict in the hardwaremanager.
Or there is a conflict within the windows drivers if they are used for wheel and pedals.

If not, for your problem i would suggest to disconnect wheel and pedals.
Remove all related entrys for both in the registry, uninstall the LGS software, reboot the system, install LGS software, connect only the wheel when told by installation-routine, finish installation and setup the wheel with the LGS software.
Then try to configure the wheel in game.
If it works, leave the game and connect the pedals too and then join the game again to try to configure the pedals.

Back