Oculus Rift Consumer unit 1 on schedule ( Announced on Twitter )

Live for Speed is DX9 and it works in the Rift, so I don't think that's relevant. The relevant thing is what will ISI do once this things are out there. They said they will have a look then, so we'll see I guess.

Right now what we know is that Kunos already have their CV1's, and I dunno if ISI doesn't because they didn't ask or because Oculus ignored them

Why should oculus ignore isi ? they gave every crap dev team a cv1 who ask for same as steam and the vive did.
And if iam a dev for racing sim i would get a vive for free and use steamvr for my game. Its easier than oculus sdk. and as we know that steamvr will be compatible to oculus it makes more sense. But i would ask for a cv1 too as a dev. I mean there for free :D its stupid not not ask for it.

Has anyone managed to preview the consumer version of the vive yet? And if so, how does it fair compared to the oculus rift cv1?

Best i have found is this (https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/3zw8ta/ces_cv1_impressions_vs_vive/) however it seems it may not even be the vive pre but the older vive dk1 which if so means it's probably no good to gauge off.

Am i right in stating that the vive cv1 has not been confirmed to have the exact same specs as the pre?

oculus never posted there specs. Vive has confirmed there spec on htcvive.com .But they have to be the same because they want games running on both headsets. Only thing i can think is that cv1 have other fov than vive.

General consensus is that the Rift has more horizontal FOV, and the Vive more vertical FOV. When I tried them they looked almost identical to me, so even this difference must be negligible

General consensus is that the Rift has more horizontal FOV, and the Vive more vertical FOV. When I tried them they looked almost identical to me, so even this difference must be negligible

identical in fov or in screen ? I never traid any of the new generation. But everyone says cv1 has less screendoor better image qualli than the vive does.

oculus never posted there specs.

Good point!

Vive has confirmed there spec on htcvive.com. But they have to be the same because they want games running on both headsets.

What i found interesting in the reddit link is that despite both the rift and vive having the same display resolution, the previewer/reviewer of the two kits said that the vive's display had worse screen door effect and not nearly as good pixel persistence removal (meaning there was noticeable image smearing), both of which i find very important (especially the latter). But this comparison may and most probably is mute since it was not the vive cv1. This is why i was hoping there might be someone out there who has experienced the consumer versions of both the rift and vive.

Do we know of anyone in the world who has reviewed/previewed the consumer version of the vive?

Last edited:
identical in fov or in screen ? I never traid any of the new generation. But everyone says cv1 has less screendoor better image qualli than the vive does.

Identical in FOV, the screen/optics are indeed a bit better on the Rift, at least for me. You can see some people saying it's the same, but it could be because they had to join a 3 hour queue after trying one and the difference is not big enough to be able to remember how exactly the other one was.

I haven't tried the Vive CV, but except for the head strap it is exactly the same as the Vive Pre, so I think it is still valid to say that the Rift is better if racing sims are going to be your main use. If you want to do something else and use the motion controllers around the room quite often as well, then Vive.

I don't know how comfortable the Vive CV is when wearing it but the Rift CV1 is amazing in that respect, you barely feel you have it on if you adjust it correctly. Vive Pre was still quite behind in this respect, and we will have to wait and see if the final head strap helped to close that gap

Has anyone managed to preview the consumer version of the vive yet? And if so, how does it fair compared to the oculus rift cv1?

Best i have found is this (https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/3zw8ta/ces_cv1_impressions_vs_vive/) however it seems it may not even be the vive pre but the older vive dk1 which if so means it's probably no good to gauge off.

Am i right in stating that the vive cv1 has not been confirmed to have the exact same specs as the pre?

Doesn't look like much has changed from Pre to CV. But pretty much all the major tech publications had a massive hands on with the launch titles a little while back. Reviews of the experiences were absolutely through the roof.

Personally I'm going the Vive route. If some developer is short sighted enough to lock their warping shader to one piece of hardware, their loss. I intend to do more than just sim racing in VR and the Vive is what I want out of VR. Don't really wanna hear the rhetoric that Rift can do room scale too. Cause I banged my DK2 against my monitor a couple times while playing while standing. Had my head been a couple inches higher, I would have smashed my mouth pretty good. You can't safely do room scale without a chaperon type system. And the Vive can do seated just as well as the Rift. You really only even need one lighthouse set up if that's your intention.

And the Vive can do seated just as well as the Rift. You really only even need one lighthouse set up if that's your intention.
Not really. Even if you do sitting you still need to put the two lighthouses in the corners, otherwise you can't look behind. And that's without taking into account better ergonomics, visual clarity, integrated audio and something really important specially for simulators, Asynchronous Timewarp

The Vive is better if you ever intend to stand up and walk, but if you are going to go sitting only, the Rift is better because that's what they are targeting

Last edited:
"at all the new vr units coming out" there are only two oculus and vive. And as far as i know vive did not change much from vive pre. So after most test ppl say oculus has the better headset terms of weight/screen and vive the better system. So if u want it only for racing i would go with oculus rift for sure. If u want more and use the room scale or u have button box and need the front camara i would go for vive. What we now is that vive have a fov of 110 oculus did not say anything about fov yet.

Thx m8

Is there yet any information about what isi (or reiza) is going to do with VR?
I'am on the edge of buying a screen, but i wonder if i should put that money on a vr headset.

Is there yet any information about what isi (or reiza) is going to do with VR?
I'am on the edge of buying a screen, but i wonder if i should put that money on a vr headset.

I think you should, and I think you should stick to whatever sim supports it. I'm pretty certain you won't regret it

From DX9-10-11 thread, Tim's words:

"Not going to support VR for less than 1% of customers as it seems right now. It's going to have to be in a lot of people's hands and create NEW sales if it's going to be a part of this product. We're in no rush."

This has buried my illusions deep below.

From DX9-10-11 thread, Tim's words:

"Not going to support VR for less than 1% of customers as it seems right now. It's going to have to be in a lot of people's hands and create NEW sales if it's going to be a part of this product. We're in no rush."

This has buried my illusions deep below.

Bugger, now I don't know what to do cancel my rift order or move to iRacing, I really only want the rift for racing and rFactor is my preferred racing game.

Poop!

I ordered the CV1 on launch day for the sole purpose of playing rF2 and Dirt Rally.

Will there be any reasonable workarounds now that we know ISI won't support it natively?

Poop!

I ordered the CV1 on launch day for the sole purpose of playing rF2 and Dirt Rally.

Will there be any reasonable workarounds now that we know ISI won't support it natively?

Bit silly since ISI have given their official words of not supporting it until after CV1.... and no eta either.

I knew that people had been working on Rift support for rF2 since 2013 so I just assumed that the work had continued.

Hopefully Rf2Rift will be fully updated in the coming weeks/months.

Good point!

But this comparison may and most probably is mute since it was not the vive cv1.

I realize this was posted a while back, but I wonder why I see a lot of folks using "mute" when it ought to be "moot".

Mute means silent. Moot means "certain circumstances make a situation unarguable or up for debate."

wow, very clever!

No, not clever but stupid. Give me the rift video and not some goofy "mixed reality". Everyone is always trying to be so cute and clever on youtube.

This is so far away from clever that it borders on ordinarily ordinary.

No, not clever but stupid. Give me the rift video and not some goofy "mixed reality". Everyone is always trying to be so cute and clever on youtube.

It is to try and show what VR is like to those that haven't tried it. Raw VR footage doesn't show too much.

Figured I'd do my "once ever 3 months" check on the forums. No change:(

Got my Vive a couple weeks ago (along with a GTX 1070). It's really quite something to sim race with this (compared to the DK2). The clarity of the optics + significantly brighter screen + higher FOV really shines through. Especially when you crank up the super sampling multiplier and get rid of any jaggies. Wasn't expecting the improvements to be this significant.

Mmmkay. Cause showing people what the actual player is seeing and the scale they're interacting with is stupid. LOL. Much better to have them glance at tiny little objects and wonder what all the fuss is about. Of course, that would be perfect for this site.

Figured I'd do my "once ever 3 months" check on the forums. No change:(

Got my Vive a couple weeks ago (along with a GTX 1070). It's really quite something to sim race with this (compared to the DK2). The clarity of the optics + significantly brighter screen + higher FOV really shines through. Especially when you crank up the super sampling multiplier and get rid of any jaggies. Wasn't expecting the improvements to be this significant.

Mmmkay. Cause showing people what the actual player is seeing and the scale they're interacting with is stupid. LOL. Much better to have them glance at tiny little objects and wonder what all the fuss is about. Of course, that would be perfect for this site.

I did the same. Entered the forum after 3/4 months aprox and still all same about VR. I will keep playing AC and hope someday ISI turns their head towards VR. If LFS has VR great support for their old dx9 engine, then why isi cannot? Isi is turning away from consumers that has VR, in my case i only have VR hmd, i have no screen lcd or anything like that cause once you play VR then you do not wanna go back to screens no matter how big-supper high refresh - ultra black colours- bla bla bla (i used to play with a 180º warp arround 100 inches projection 3D screen in a motion cokcpit, and still nothing compares to VR) they might have cause VR means inmersions even with its actual cons due to being still a baby evolving.

i'm in the same boat, long time fan of isi, bought AC and dirt rally for VR, come here once in a while to see if they have gone the VR route (which i would gladly pay for by the way), enjoying VR in assetto corsa but miss rf2 immensely...

Occasional checker myself. As much as I adore the VR experience (DK2 owner) I just cant leave rF2 alone. I can appreciate the merits of other sims and have been blown away by the LFS and AC VR experience but I feel like somethings missing/not right whenever I play anything other than rF2. That's my own personal taste though and not any flame bait. Will just have to wait and wait and wait and wai.......etc.

Occasional checker myself. As much as I adore the VR experience (DK2 owner) I just cant leave rF2 alone. I can appreciate the merits of other sims and have been blown away by the LFS and AC VR experience but I feel like somethings missing/not right whenever I play anything other than rF2. That's my own personal taste though and not any flame bait. Will just have to wait and wait and wait and wai.......etc.

i tell u mate get a cv 1 play ac/iracing and forget rf2. first ac made huge step forward last month and it still goes more the way of a pure sim if u ask me.
For 1 year i could not play ac even with dk 2 it was to far away of rf 2 now its a diffrent story. If u want to wait i think u will wait for a long time.
Maybe the rest of ur life because rf 2 will never get vr support ?

Oculus CV1 here.

Since then, I've had zero interest in driving on a monitor, so it's been iRacing and AC. When you're sitting in an an open wheeler in VR (and you are "in it" in VR) it's so cool driving along-side another car that it makes my hairs stand on end, even after months. And it really hits you how unrealistic the sense of speed and distance is that flat images give you. VR gives your eyes essentially the same information that evolution has hardwired your brain to see as 3D. So you just see things as they are in reality as opposed to having to interpret and estimate what that flat image on a monitor is meant to mean.

i tell u mate get a cv 1 play ac/iracing and forget rf2. first ac made huge step forward last month and it still goes more the way of a pure sim if u ask me.
For 1 year i could not play ac even with dk 2 it was to far away of rf 2 now its a diffrent story. If u want to wait i think u will wait for a long time.
Not sure what "huge step" you refer to, AC team has been busy with the console release for the last 6 months, they have even admitted it themselves, which certainly hasn't helped to make the PC version more realistic. They have now v10(!) tire model released, but it still feels pretty similar as day one to me, with some improvement in that cold tires now lose grip somewhat more realistic. Still nowhere near the fidelity of rF2 in the feeling I get from the physics and FFB.

Not sure what "huge step" you refer to, AC team has been busy with the console release for the last 6 months, they have even admitted it themselves, which certainly hasn't helped to make the PC version more realistic. They have now v10(!) tire model released, but it still feels pretty similar as day one to me, with some improvement in that cold tires now lose grip somewhat more realistic. Still nowhere near the fidelity of rF2 in the feeling I get from the physics and FFB.

AC at day one was a complete broken physic and has nothing to do with what they offer now. They need over 2 years to get there physic bugs fixed what i think happen in 1.7 since this update i like the physics and the ffb in ac. The most cars don t have v10 tires yet so i can t say anything about it. But even if rf2 has a better feeling ( i don t know did not play it anymore) the overall package of physic, content vr support and performance made it clear better. That what we talk about games vor vr and multiplayer with iracing.

I play today with three monitors and would like to go to the Oculus as soon as possible. Therefore, I hope for a rapid implementation of ISI. But if I lock to all other available SIM,s at myself, I discover there better graphics, more features, or something else, but no one gives me the driving experience from rfactor, whether iracing, AC, Race Room, or whatever, so I hope further on rapid integration of rain effects and the VR support.............

Oh the difference a day makes (or, 3 weeks to be pedantic!). ;-) I do already own AC chum and as much as I've enjoyed what I played, it just doesn't do it for me. I can appreciate the draw for some folk and in fact my first real 'blown away' VR sim racing moment was delivered by AC, I'm probably going to skip a VR hardware generation and just stick with the DK2 for now, purely because I'd have to upgrade my whole system and I personally don't think CV1 is worth that outlay considering I already have DK2. I'm just totally made up that my 'baby' is finally going to get VR (plus so much more). All IMO of course :)

Oculus CV1 here.

Since then, I've had zero interest in driving on a monitor, so it's been iRacing and AC. When you're sitting in an an open wheeler in VR (and you are "in it" in VR) it's so cool driving along-side another car that it makes my hairs stand on end, even after months. And it really hits you how unrealistic the sense of speed and distance is that flat images give you. VR gives your eyes essentially the same information that evolution has hardwired your brain to see as 3D. So you just see things as they are in reality as opposed to having to interpret and estimate what that flat image on a monitor is meant to mean.

I second this statement. Never has a piece of hardware had an impact on me as that of the VR ilk. It truly leaves you giddy with excitement and laughing out loud at just how insane it is that you're actually 'inside' the digital world as far as your eyes are aware. I don't think people are aware just how much we rely on our eyes to perceive the world around us, and that VR stimulates those exact same senses in almost exactly the same way to produce a genuinely convincing experience.

Even though your conscious brain is telling you that your in a room with a thing strapped to your face, your sub conscious is screaming at you that you're somewhere completely different and experiencing something else entirely.
Here's an oldy but IMO a goody (apologies for the foul language but he honestly couldn't help himself, the portrait mode and, yes, its the old unreal engine roller coaster vid). It's my Canadian mate having his first REAL VR experience. Trying his best to be cool and calm and telling himself internally "it's not real,it's not real" but in the end VR won the fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9Phq-Agk_o

BTW at the end he tried to kick the 'Press Enter' from in front of himself and ended up cracking his knee off my steering wheel.

Oh the difference a day makes (or, 3 weeks to be pedantic!). ;-) I do already own AC chum and as much as I've enjoyed what I played, it just doesn't do it for me. I can appreciate the draw for some folk and in fact my first real 'blown away' VR sim racing moment was delivered by AC, I'm probably going to skip a VR hardware generation and just stick with the DK2 for now, purely because I'd have to upgrade my whole system and I personally don't think CV1 is worth that outlay considering I already have DK2. I'm just totally made up that my 'baby' is finally going to get VR (plus so much more). All IMO of course :)

What do u mean ? Does ur statement based on studio 397? Because that does not really change a lot as i know they plan d11 for q1 2017 this can be over a half year...
Atm no sim really use the potenial of a cv1 in terms of the image quallity. AC is not really sharp and iracing misses fx and aa is no diffrent between 2x and 8x.
If u play vr games u can see how much sharper the image is compared to ac. With the dk 2 u can tweek the image really good with sweetfx and bring the best out of it.
But compared to cv1 the cv1 is worth everything lol. I would not recommand to play with dk2

hi all

they allowed me back on the forum, i only use vr now, did try rf2 earlier with the little monitor to the side of my setup
i miss rf2 lots and really look forward to vr support, very happy now i know for sure

What do u mean ? Does ur statement based on studio 397? Because that does not really change a lot as i know they plan d11 for q1 2017 this can be over a half year...
Atm no sim really use the potenial of a cv1 in terms of the image quallity. AC is not really sharp and iracing misses fx and aa is no diffrent between 2x and 8x.
If u play vr games u can see how much sharper the image is compared to ac. With the dk 2 u can tweek the image really good with sweetfx and bring the best out of it.
But compared to cv1 the cv1 is worth everything lol. I would not recommand to play with dk2

Rushing out to buy into an ecosystem that is, lets be honest, in its complete infancy in regards to the potential of said technology, is very much a case of personal choice. Just as I prefer rF2 compared to whatever you prefer is a case of personal choice. Buying DK2 was my personal choice. I'm happy with that choice but am also aware of how quickly the tech industry moves. VR is going to move exponentially more quickly again (IMO) due to the discovery of new techniques, software and hardware advancements. This is why I am waiting until the dust has settled a little bit more before I take the plunge again. I know of the potential that VR has and am truly excited and thrilled by it. But there are still basic locomotion/sickness issues to be ironed out via either hardware,software or tweaks.

In regards to my 'Oh the difference a day....' comment. It was meant as an off hand comment to the idea that rF2 was never going to get VR/DX11 support, and then lo and behold Studio397 turn up. I'm perfectly happy to wait it out until it arrives. It's my personal choice and one I can live with untroubled. I'm also coming from the 'graphics card upgrade' concept that for the best WOW factor it's best to skip a generation or two as I believe the best is yet to come from VR. Don't think my wife would be too impressed if I turned up with a new PC and CV1/2/3 in tow. "Whaddya mean we need a new kitchen? The old one was fine 10 years ago!" just wouldn't cut it unfortunately.

Back