SimRacingPL Shader Pack - discussion

Material tool does not show rFactor's standard shaders. It only renders one texture to show where geometry is.

Only when you create a new material for given surface, you will see it rendered according to defined textures.

Unless you meant there's something wrong with presentation of materials that you created in material tool. In that case check log file to see if shaders compiled successfully. If yes, post screenshot (with messed up material render and it's settings).

When I click on create button, nothing happen with standard materials. If I add a texture in specular combo box, nothing change either. But that doesn't happen with originaly shaded materials. I can work with them and changes are visible.

The log file say all shaders are loaded at the start.

Initializing HDR
Loading shader postprocess.hdr2.box2x2
Loading shader object postprocess.hdr2.box2x2v
Loading shader object postprocess.hdr2.box2x2f
Loading shader postprocess.hdr2.hblur
Loading shader object postprocess.hdr2.hblurv
Loading shader object postprocess.hdr2.hblurf
Loading shader postprocess.hdr2.vblur
Loading shader object postprocess.hdr2.vblurv
Loading shader object postprocess.hdr2.vblurf
Loading shader postprocess.hdr2.finalblur
Loading shader object postprocess.hdr2.finalblurf
HDR initialized
Loading texture ui.lightbulb
Texture file not found. Assuming ui.lightbulb is a default texture.
Loading image ui.lightbulb
Unable to open file .\image/ui/lightbulb.
Trying .dds
Trying .jpg
Trying .tga
Trying .png
Loading texture ui.arrow01
Texture file not found. Assuming ui.arrow01 is a default texture.
Loading image ui.arrow01
Unable to open file .\image/ui/arrow01.
Trying .dds
Trying .jpg
Trying .tga
Trying .png
Loading texture blank.diffuse
Texture file not found. Assuming blank.diffuse is a default texture.
Loading image blank.diffuse
Unable to open file .\image/blank/diffuse.
Trying .dds
It's a DXT5.
Will read 16 bytes.
Sending 16 bytes of image to GPU.
Loading texture ui.skidmarks03
Texture file not found. Assuming ui.skidmarks03 is a default texture.
Loading image ui.skidmarks03
Unable to open file .\image/ui/skidmarks03.
Trying .dds
Trying .jpg
Trying .tga
Loading shader srpl.generic01bump
Loading shader object srpl.generic01bumpv
Loading shader object srpl.generic01bumpf
Loading shader srpl.generic02bump
Loading shader object srpl.generic02bumpv
Loading shader object srpl.generic02bumpf
Loading shader srpl.generic03bump
Loading shader object srpl.generic03bumpv
Loading shader object srpl.generic03bumpf
Loading shader srpl.generic04bump
Loading shader object srpl.generic04bumpv
Loading shader object srpl.generic04bumpf
Loading shader srpl.generic11bump
Loading shader object srpl.generic11bumpf
Loading shader srpl.generic12bump
Loading shader object srpl.generic12bumpf
Loading shader srpl.generic13bump
Loading shader object srpl.generic13bumpf
Loading shader srpl.generic14bump
Loading shader object srpl.generic14bumpf
Loading shader srpl.generic21bump
Loading shader object srpl.generic21bumpf
Loading shader srpl.generic22bump
Loading shader object srpl.generic22bumpf
Loading shader srpl.generic23bump
Loading shader object srpl.generic23bumpf
Loading shader srpl.generic24bump
Loading shader object srpl.generic24bumpf
Loading shader srpl.watersurface
Loading shader object srpl.watersurfacev
Loading shader object srpl.watersurfacef
Loading shader srpl.underwater
Loading shader object srpl.underwaterv
Loading shader object srpl.underwaterf
Loading shader srpl.road1
Loading shader object srpl.road1v
Loading shader object srpl.road1f
Loading shader srpl.terrain1
Loading shader object srpl.terrain1v
Loading shader object srpl.terrain1f
Removing unused: ui.cursor.default
Removing unused: ui.lightbulb
Removing unused: ui.arrow01
Removing unused: ui.skidmarks03
Removing unused: blank.diffuse

In the attached screenshot, you can see failed texture behind and settings (roof stand). And right texture at front (pit railing)

Thanks.

Try adding emissive color and see if texture appears.

If yes, then perhaps your object is missing normal vectors.

If not, then maybe there's a problem with UV coordinates. In that case you could try generating UV for first texture from UV's of other channel.

If that still fails - remove all textures and just add environment map - one of those I provided with shader pack. Remember to set fresnel somehow, to see reflection.

If you can't even get the env map to work, then we're in trouble, because shaders probably don't work but there is no shader compilation error reported by graphics driver.

As last resort, you can try switching HDR on and off and see if that helps.

Well, we are in trouble... I've tried all your suggestions, but I can't see diffuse textures. Only alpha channel if they have it. I don't understand what happen, but there are more options to keep trying. I will add specular maps to faulty materials in max, and edit them with MT2 after that. I hope that works.

Thanks for your help.

Regards.

Apparently I'm having some shader issues here.

SRPL shaders work correctly in severall mods, including Endurance Series SP2. BUT, when I quit and launch Rfactor again, all track shaders are returned back to "T1" only. SRPL shaders don't work anymore.

But, if I load any different mod than ES, quit the game and launch again... that's it, SRPL shaders are mysteriously working again. Looks like some file conflict between Endurance Series and SRPL Shaders.

I'm guessing ES is one of these mods that change shader directory setting in rFactor. This should be avoided, because it creates conflicts, but I see many modding teams do that.

Look into GameData/Shared - perhaps ES has it's own folder with shaders. Install my shader pack there additionally, so you will have it in both main rFactor folder and ES shader folder.

@entrevias
I will think what else may have caused it, but if you could create a minimal project, with just that one faulty object in it and provide it for testing, then it would allow me or someone else to see if we have the same problem on our end.

It makes all sense to me, I'll try this. Thanks for the tip.

I'm guessing ES is one of these mods that change shader directory setting in rFactor. This should be avoided, because it creates conflicts, but I see many modding teams do that.

Look into GameData/Shared - perhaps ES has it's own folder with shaders. Install my shader pack there additionally, so you will have it in both main rFactor folder and ES shader folder.

@entrevias
I will think what else may have caused it, but if you could create a minimal project, with just that one faulty object in it and provide it for testing, then it would allow me or someone else to see if we have the same problem on our end.

There are two versions of the project, with material created (test1) and without creating it (test0). It's just a very simple object with two materials, T1 and Specular map T1, so you can see the differences. I hope it be useful to you.

Thanks.

Disclosing the ending, that was really that, if anyone else is having some issue with SRPL shaders only with some mods, just copy SRPL files into the specific shaders folder assigned in the *.rFM file and that's it.

It's a shame some modders create personal shaders folder because if you distribute a car or a track that use SRPL shader you'll never know where to copy files beyond the regular folder.

Yes, that's true.
Overriding environment variables of the simulator in .rfm file creates an isolate, non-standard environment for given mod, therefore making it potentially incompatible with other mods.

I think some modders think of it as an elegant solution, but they're not really aware of consequences.

If you want your mod compatible with other mods, that may use some custom shaders, then the only way is to stay in standard shader folder. You're still free to create subfolders, because .GFX files allow specifying relative pathes to shader files. This is how shader pack does it.

Last edited:
Yes, only thing you can do is to warn people about Gamedata\Shared\XXX Folder that could be assign in rFM file, but once that people seldom read Readme files, probably it would be useless.

By the way, 3d grass and track shaders are working very well. rF1 can easily be better than rF2 using your shaders. I was trying to put some crowd in my track but no success. 3D crows is terribly heavy (30 3d guys on grandstand = 12.000 vertices, lol). 2D billboards are awful too, they don't face the player correctly even you adjust local Z axe properly and the transparency + 2D is really ugly specially in external views as replays.

I've been looking some threads on Internet and came across this image:

5vqQ4.jpg

Except by the flag guy, all other are 2D and respond to the light as be 3D. Fantastic. It's pCars by the way.

Something like this would add much realism for rFactor.

Yes, that's true.
Overriding environment variables of the simulator in .rfm file creates an isolate, non-standard environment for given mod, therefore making it potentially incompatible with other mods.

I think some modders think of it as an elegant solution, but they're not really aware of consequences.

If you want your mod compatible with other mods, that may use some custom shaders, then the only way is to stay in standard shader folder. You're still free to create subfolders, because .GFX files allow specifying relative pathes to shader files. This is how shader pack does it.

@entrevias

Project uploaded in post #366, it was hidden a couple of days by admins.

Just tried it on Radeon 7570 - both projects display just fine.
I will test it on GeForce 450 tomorrow.

Hi, is it possible for me to use your shaders on my car (made from scratch)? Thanks.

I would like permission to include the shader pack with my 1978 F1 mod.

Any info on the mod?
Its a fully scratch built mod that contains all of the cars from the 1978 F1 season. Download links are on rFactorCentral.
I would like to include the shader pack with the mod download.

Hello,

Thanks for building these material tools.

I am a casual modder that builds for myself for the most part.

Regarding the rfactormaterialtool... I used 3dsimed to relocate the local axis of several cars (endurance racers sp3 gt2's). I discovered later that 3dsimed fails to import the custom materials from the original GMTs so my new models had simple T1 shaders in most cases, like the car body, tires, light glows, etc.

I managed with some trial/error to successfully use rfactormaterialtool.exe to write the material settings from the original GMT's back to my edited 3dsimed GMT's. Every thing seems to work in game as expected.

I am noticing some graphics performance issues and poor frame rates at times... maybe I have some optimization issues with my GMT's after my rather brutish attempt to fix the materials?

Or is the higher graphics load due to the custom shaders compared to T1 (which seems likely)?

PS... I think it might be the headlight lightflare, they look awesome, but if its a big performance hit I can live with T1 to get very large grids running at night. Would it be worth the effort to make the headlight flare a common material for the 8 cars I am interested in ?

Last edited:
There are light flares and volume lights.

In both cases it's important to think of settings used in the tool.

For ordinary light flares, it's the "max radius" parameter. If you want bigger max radius, then sometimes it's good to increase "radius power" so that big flares will not be seen that often.
For volume lights "step scale" parameter is also crucial - keep it somewhere around 0,3-0,5. You can try other values, but these worked best for me.

Of course rFactor doesn't have good performance with headlights, whenever you use shader pack or not. It's best to limit number of active headlights in .PLR file ("Max headlights" setting).

Thx for your tool and your permission. :)
The mod will be launched in July.

No need to thank me - that's what this tool is made for - enjoy it :)
And good luck with the mod.

Hello I have patrick34 2016 f1 mod and it uses srpl but when I load the game the cars are greyed out or shadowy like picture any ideas? Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

That looks a bit like game went to using DirectX7 / DirectX8 settings.

This can happen if you have a mod that uses shaders, but you did not install the shader pack. Or if you changed rendering mode to anything other than DirectX 9.

Other than that I can only suggest contacting mod author.

K Szczech,

I, on behalf of my team (ORM, formerly known as CROMS), request permission to use the SRPL shaders in our 1958 Grand Prix mod for rFactor 1. It's 90% scratch made, the other 10% being textures for which we have permissions for use from Luigi70 and Team CREW. We are planning to release it, but since your team (rightfully) is expecting us to ask the permission to use the shaders, I'm writing here to do so.

Have a great day :)

I'll do that. If they don't answer, I'll just use the plugin and put the credit for it: I can't stay idling by.

EDIT: I'll just credit them. Their website is Polish-only and google translator doesn't even work well on that. It's really unusable for everyone that doesn't speak or read Polish.

Last edited:

Back