So....who has PCars?

Any ideas on how to sort out that lag? Is maximizing framerate the only way?
Or maybe people are playing it vsync on.

For me I had good framerates and VSync off but still had lag. I had to cap my framerate with Dxtory to solve my lag. AC was the same way in the first build but at least it had an internal frame cap that could be set in the config files which was later added to the UI in the very second public build. I haven't tested pCARS in several months, it's possible they finally added a frame cap to combat the lag. When reading on around the net about lag in that sim people say, "I don't have any lag". Later you find out they are actually using MSI afterburner or something like that to cap their framerate. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that. Duh. So out of the box it had lag. Again, I haven't tested it in a while, they may have solved this in the very final stages. All I am getting at is it's something to be conscious of because if you do have lag it totally kills the experience.

Edit: I did a quick search and see they did add a command line option to cap the framerate.
Code:
-fpscap <fps>

Are you drunk?

No

I would rather drive pCars offline then AC.

They may come off the track but so do real race cars in the first few corners and it always varies.

I hardly ever see the Ai roll over ? besides that happens in real racing too you know.

AC races with the same Ai are so similar and canned it is boring let alone a horrible experience.

I never said pCARS ai was fantastic but it's certainly better then AC.

Cars feels like GTR2 with optimized FFB for me. The understeer and sliding over all 4 wheels while lifting is nearly the same behaviour like in GTR2. I bet the core engine is still Gmotor2.0. The shared memory function is still available. The FFB is poor compared to rFactor2. The centerforce has the same value undepending of corner speed or steering angle, thats boring. I love it to accelerate in a corner in rFactor2 while the center force is getting much stronger. The GT3 Cars are to easy to handle in Cars. Without TC or Anti Lock Brakes there is no possibility for real wheelspin oder brake locking.
Its a nice funracer with the claim to be a simulation for me with a nice look but not that new simulation.

Some1 trying to get their POSTS COUNT up again by posting this topic. MY ANSWER: who bloody cares, talk about it on their forums. Always crap on here to start arguments and thats all this topic will do. WISH I COULD BLOCK TOPICS AS WELL AS MEMBERS.................................................

DELETE THIS TOPIC

Some1 trying to get their POSTS COUNT up again by posting this topic. MY ANSWER: who bloody cares, talk about it on their forums. Always crap on here to start arguments and thats all this topic will do. WISH I COULD BLOCK TOPICS AS WELL AS MEMBERS.................................................

DELETE THIS TOPIC

Is there a post count?

Maybe just don't click the thread title. It's obviously about PCars.

My experience with pCARS has always been that you need to work really hard at reducing input lag. People will swear till they are blue in the face that the input lag issues were solved in build XXX but in my testing it's impossible to fully minimize the lag even on resent builds. If you don't do some playing around to minimize the lag as much as possible it will have a very disconnected feel. I suspect a lot of the very bad opinions of this sim are actually just fighting massive input lag. Do a YouTube search for any pCARS videos where you can see the animated wheel in line with their real wheel and 9 out of 10 of them will have lag that is out of this world. Even promo videos that they have done with pro drivers display insane lag. It's hard to take a pro drivers options serious when they are provided a rig with 300ms of lag.

So for anyone that gives pCARS a shot. Take a hard look at the lag before totally writing it off. It's still not up to the levels of rF2 IMO, but it's come a long long way from the very beginning..... assuming you sort out the lag.

Very interesting post, thanks Noel. I'll keep that in mind when taking pCARS for the first spin tomorrow.

Is there a post count?

Maybe just don't click the thread title. It's obviously about PCars.

in their head yes.
i won't in future but dont complain when the beotching starts and thread gets closed like others have.

I like the sound in helmet cam mode. It's like a low-pass filter muffling simulation of the earplugs/helmet. I assume it's fairly similar to reality. It gave me a sort of isolated and relaxed focus. I expect it's better for my long-term hearing too. I'd love that option in rF2.

I wish I could chose how much tint there was in cockpit windows/helmet visors though. It was SO dark. Probably fairly realistic, but SO dark.

I bought it to flog around Le Mans in the Audi LMP1. I did that. I enjoyed it. I crashed many times. I was hit by the AI many times. I restarted many times. I loaded up x30 time of day, and clouds and rain, and the expression of the conditions was pretty and pretty awesome. I tuned off motion blur, but the other sunlight glares and such were nice, and entrancing/enchanting.
I expect I'll do it all again over the next few days too, and probably in June as well :)

Last edited:
Okay. I bought it and played it. FFB feel numb compared to other sims (rF2, AC, SCE). Physics seemed to be okay. Atleast cars was fun to drive and easy to control under slides and they behaved somewhat believably.

Very interesting post, thanks Noel. I'll keep that in mind when taking pCARS for the first spin tomorrow.

Like I said keep your perspective in that first post and don't overdrive it.
What AC and pCars lack in feedback you must make up for with consistent laps.

That is why I say do the default career at 80% level for first few sessions, it is like rF2 sprint, 10 min sessions and 2/3 lap races, you get a nice variety of cockpits, tracks, night and weather.
Like you said, you want to be entertained, soak up the environment.

Some of these people that say any car is easy I would like to see their leader-board times with pro settings.

I believe what I said before, it is the GT/Forza for PC, I can see hundreds flocking to official races, 20 Test combos
has hundreds of drivers in each, competition to get into the top fields will be just as fierce as GT is.

If they can pull off the planned long distance races w/driver swaps will go a long way to appeasing many.

rF2 with pCars physics or pCars with rF2 physics ? ..........gee that would be a hard choice for me. :rolleyes: lol
All I think is what ISI with 80,000 paid up members and some well heeled investors could "possibly" do.

Tell me again how ..........
ISI is too small
They could never afford it
They would not have the talent to do variable rain and puddles
The physics/tyres would not be as good in DX12

Let's start bagging rF3 before it exists. lol

Well according to OP, rf2 had the best tyre model a few days ago with the Cobra...and before that it was GSC I think...but now it's Pcars.

OP's threads always give me a weird feeling.

For me I had good framerates and VSync off but still had lag. I had to cap my framerate with Dxtory to solve my lag. AC was the same way in the first build but at least it had an internal frame cap that could be set in the config files which was later added to the UI in the very second public build. I haven't tested pCARS in several months, it's possible they finally added a frame cap to combat the lag. When reading on around the net about lag in that sim people say, "I don't have any lag". Later you find out they are actually using MSI afterburner or something like that to cap their framerate. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that. Duh. So out of the box it had lag. Again, I haven't tested it in a while, they may have solved this in the very final stages. All I am getting at is it's something to be conscious of because if you do have lag it totally kills the experience.

Edit: I did a quick search and see they did add a command line option to cap the framerate.
Code:
-fpscap <fps>
ööö. Where is that? Or do you write that in game?

I like the sound in helmet cam mode. It's like a low-pass filter muffling simulation of the earplugs/helmet. I assume it's fairly similar to reality. It gave me a sort of isolated and relaxed focus. I expect it's better for my long-term hearing too. I'd love that option in rF2.

I wish I could chose how much tint there was in cockpit windows/helmet visors though. It was SO dark. Probably fairly realistic, but SO dark.

I bought it to flog around Le Mans in the Audi LMP1. I did that. I enjoyed it. I crashed many times. I was hit by the AI many times. I restarted many times. I loaded up x30 time of day, and clouds and rain, and the expression of the conditions was pretty and pretty awesome. I tuned off motion blur, but the other sunlight glares and such were nice, and entrancing/enchanting.
I expect I'll do it all again over the next few days too, and probably in June as well :)

I don't think ISI has anything to worry about in the physics department.

The visuals on the other hand... a race in the rain with heavy fog, then throw in a little night falling? rF2 isn't even on the same planet as pCars. Absolutely stunning!

+1 both counts.

Try LMP1 in mixed class at Lemans with night start in thunderstorm. :eek:

I enjoy them all for what they got, more concern to me is what pCars2 and rF3 will be. p

I like the variable rain strength and audio it makes on rooftops.
Lightning can be brilliant, as yet have not managed to screen-shoot it live, reflexes are too old........ :( lool

Replays in pCars are missing effects, lightning, car headlights flashing, objects on road, etc. etc.
Not much fun to play with stock controls either.

Spam......

pCars2 I could see the possibility of multi-sims like Race rather then DLC.

LMP , Touring, Open Wheel with both modern and historic versions , each sim unique down to the ui, aids and garage settings.

More you buy cheaper they get. :p

I've spent some more time with PCars thanks to this thread. In PCars, I've had to switch cars about 5 or 6 times in the past two days while in real-life and rFactor 2, I can drive the same car for an entire month, literally. That pretty much says it all; PCars' relatively simplified vehicle dynamics' depth and complexity is just a game.

One is just a videogame (which calls itself a sim since everything seems to be called a sim nowadays because all games nowadays have half-decent physics and FFB so it's easy to slap the term "sim" on the product), and one is an actual simulation of professional/industrial magnitude (rFactor 2). Absolutely light-years apart.

If you're a gamer, get PCars, but if you're a racer, get RF2 or, heck, I'd drive GSC (awesome) before PCars.

Last edited:
If you need another reason to hide the fact that you're a sim racer from friends and family, read the reviews on Steam. Obviously it's the negative ones that are outrageously pathetic. What's really strange is reviewers will call it "average" or "great" but still give it a thumbs down. lol.

Took this for a quick spin, Snetterton looks very nice (as do all the tracks) but those sausage kerbs look way too big

I could see myself using Project cars and I'm quite happy to let it sit on my hard drive alongside rF2, GSCE and Assetto Corsa.... not that I get the time to fire up any of them much these days

click the thumbnail for larger image...click the larger image for full size picture

Last edited:
Question for Pcars owners , does it include Mount Panorama and is it any good, have seen videos of it but wondering if its in game and as good as production vids.

Question for Pcars owners , does it include Mount Panorama and is it any good, have seen videos of it but wondering if its in game and as good as production vids.

It was in the game as I raced there when I was a Junior Member ages ago (can't remember how good it is)but not sure about now, would think it is.

I want to have a look at pCars but can't justify buying it purely to look at the pretty graphics, driving with a joypad just isn't gonna cut it for me right now.

Thanks Mark, Im sort of in the same boat, will buy it either way once new wheel is paid for ;)

I've spent some more time with PCars thanks to this thread. In PCars, I've had to switch cars about 5 or 6 times in the past two days while in real-life and rFactor 2, I can drive the same car for an entire month, literally. That pretty much says it all; PCars' relatively simplified vehicle dynamics' depth and complexity is just a game.

One is just a videogame (which calls itself a sim since everything seems to be called a sim nowadays because all games nowadays have half-decent physics and FFB so it's easy to slap the term "sim" on the product), and one is an actual simulation of professional/industrial magnitude (rFactor 2). Absolutely light-years apart.

If you're a gamer, get PCars, but if you're a racer, get RF2 or, heck, I'd drive GSC (awesome) before PCars.

that maybe you spin.. but last night i constantly drove the Formulford round cadwell, and loved it... I find with the weather etc it can hold my attention just as long as RF2 can. some you say it aint about visuals.. but the wet racing in rf2 looks bland and not realistic at all.. In pcars you get the immersion of the rain etc, it almost adds a sense of fear whilst driving in the wet. Rf2 cant give these senses visually. although that cobra is near lol

I do, and im quite impressed its the most complete race sim out there, and yes it is a sim. How is anyone finding the tyre model compared to rf2? I think its quite good i do need more time with it, but with that and its ffb it really feels like your on rubber tyres. Im impressed, as much as RF2 is good and all.... pcars tyre model is almost just as good imo. It certainly looks like it flex's more authentically, personally think RF2 visuals of tyre flex is too overdone and makes the tyre seem under inflated, Pcars seem to have this right.

Anyway yes it hasnt RR or the same great AI but for a game developed like this, i think RF2 or AC has something to worry about.

Just because i like this doesnt mean im not a true sim fan or any crap that someone will surely say. Its quite fine to like another sim and think its as good as rf2.
For me its something to have fun for a while. But if it comes to e.g. FFB Comparaison vs rF2, pCars have nothing to offer. Very poor FFb, feels like Race07 or other old Games. However, it makes really Fun...for a while ;)

My humble opinion:
the February 22, 2012 buy a Team Member of PCars three months before buying a license for rFactor2. until that time the games we knew were the Race, CM and GRID saga. RFactor had heard of and even probe ever offline (the truth is that they were all in offline mode). but ultimately led me to use comparative rFactor2, its multiplayer fall in love and to date is the sim longer concerns me and which I enjoy the most. PCars always leave a little aside and when I first came in I turned to reinstall Steam and looked around from time to time. Yesterday pay the price difference € 25 as Team Member license has a 50% discount and came back to try, this time with the BMW M1 in Monza and the truth is that it has changed a lot, so far I have not tried online , although that aspect to overcome what has rFactor2 difficult. As for FFB I will not go into technical details but I like the initial behavior that has virtually without touching anything, which in rFactor is a bit more complicated especially when you play with suspension settings, always influences something in the feel of the steering wheel. As for settings I hope it's not that complicated, and at least keep some logic thing in rFactor not always happen.
translate by GOO... XD
regards, Corti. ;)

Cars feels like GTR2 with optimized FFB for me. The understeer and sliding over all 4 wheels while lifting is nearly the same behaviour like in GTR2. I bet the core engine is still Gmotor2.0. The shared memory function is still available. The FFB is poor compared to rFactor2. The centerforce has the same value undepending of corner speed or steering angle, thats boring. I love it to accelerate in a corner in rFactor2 while the center force is getting much stronger. The GT3 Cars are to easy to handle in Cars. Without TC or Anti Lock Brakes there is no possibility for real wheelspin oder brake locking.
Its a nice funracer with the claim to be a simulation for me with a nice look but not that new simulation.
Thank you for your Opinion Andrè, than i don't need to by it.

....but where i'm not with you is the overdosed alignment forces in rf2 while cornering, because exactly that is somewhat of and should transmitt more lateral forces ( Fy ), but i know why you like it, because i know your arms. :)

Lets have a phone call. I'd like to hear more from you mate ;)

pCars was laggy from the very first day and the ffb very poor. I spend so much energy and lifetime into it at the beginning with feedback in hope they would unterstand and get it right, but sad to hear that it was for nothing.

Has anyone watched ffb settings? Do i understand right that there is effect simulating driver's hands?
If it is as i understand it at the moment, someone has had somekind of brain fart while making the game.

Are you drunk? pCars AI can't stay ahead of a pregnant yak, stay within track limits, and they spend as much time on their roofs as on wheels...
FFB is lackluster without detail. No triple screen nor OR DK2 support. Bugs left and right like being first in the race and just before finish it says you are last.
This is a released product, game gone gold after 3 delays. Sounds to me like SMS took the money and ran with it.

Some serious patching is needed before this is worth the time over rF2, AC, SCE, R3E, RBR, DiRT Rally, iRacing, and those are only sims I mentioned.
Hopefully they didn't move too many people to pCars2 and World of Speed, so fixes gets here before xmas.

Well sounds like some other released sim, exept for the FFB part.. :rolleyes:

I have Pcars, i played it for the first time in about 2 years last weekend, so i haven't played it much. It was fun driving around on the Nordschleife with it, though. The default FFB is decent, but you don't feel much of the bumps on the road, i had to use my Simx software to turn on something called "road bumps" in order to get a better feel of what the car was doing over the road. The aligning torque feels pretty decent though, and i never felt like i didn't know what the cars were doing.

I haven't raced against the AI, but they sound pretty bad from what i'm reading.

As far as the driving experience is concerned, they seem to have gotten the basic feeling of a car right in my opinion, but i highly doubt that most of the exact details are close to correct in terms of handling characteristics and car behaviors for each particular car, it reminds me of Gran Turismo in that sense, where, if you don't really pay attention to the details it still feels like some description of a car and can be fun to drive, but needs a bit of getting used to to learn it. All the same basic principles to drive a real car apply to it though, so it's not that hard.

One thing i don't like about it is that every car seems to understeer quite a lot under braking. I like having a car turn in sharply under braking, and i wasn't able to get that with any of the cars i drove, although it could have been due to the setup since i didn't touch any of those setting.

It's a good screenshots basis, with some few cars interesting to drive. I'm sick and tired to screw my connection up every week dowloading 10 Gb Builds that changes a in-game menu order, so don't ask me to be positive with it.

As for the AI they seems screwed in almost whole set of tracks and I doubt they corrected that in so short time.

Well according to OP, rf2 had the best tyre model a few days ago with the Cobra...and before that it was GSC I think...but now it's Pcars.

OP's threads always give me a weird feeling.
:)

I get the impression that he is searching himself, but coudn't find yet to establish his character and personality to manifest an serious opinion :)

For those of you struggling to find a good FFB setup, I worked for a few hours last night testing different FFB 'setups' for different cars and think I've found a nice balance that brings alive the physics a bit. A lot less understeery and dull.

I'm using a G25.. note if it's not listed here I've left it set to DEFAULT.

FFB MASTER SETTINGS
-------------------------
FFB Slider: 90

FFB CALIBRATION SETTINGS
--------------------------------
Tire Force: 125
Deadzone Removal: 0.14

SPINDLE
------------
Master Scale: 26 for Tin Tops, up to 34 for Formula Cars and somewhere in-between for other cars.
FX: 100
FY: 120
FZ: 140
MZ: 150

BODY & SoP
--------------
SoP Scale: 50 (I've been using values closer to 100 for big cars like the Stock Car or the Trans-Am)
SoP Lat: 0
SoP Differential: 50
SoP Damper: 0

Also remember that SPINDLE ARM ANGLE is a huge adjustment that cannot be made at the track... for certain cars that have 'snappy immediate FFB' try raising this - if it is 'loose and sloppy' try lowering it.

I've decided that probably the most important value here is SoP (Seat of Pants), because without it the FFB just seems broken. I think all sims these days include a certain amount of that feel and pCars retail release has this mostly disabled by default. A few of the cars that I thought had 'decent' FFB out-of-the-box all had SoP settings by default.

It would sure be a shame if this thread turned into mud slinging and personal attacks.. just saying. :)

Here is an hour and a half video of me going through some of the aspects of PCARS, and sharing my impressions:

NOTES:

I will say that Project CARS, in my opinion does beat out Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport. It’s a more engaging experience, more fleshed out for racing (full race weekends, detailed setups, etc). They even are above titles such as Assetto Corsa, WHEN IT COMES TO SIMULATING A RACE EXPERIENCE (NOT IN TERMS OF PHYSICS).

AI needs work. That’s a fact. They are commonly over-aggressive and will act more like “Bumper Car Simulator: 2015″ than a true racing title. Hopefully that will be fixed soon.

There isn’t true Multi-Class Racing yet: I tried two “Multi-Class” events, looking for a Le Mans style field. If I chose a Prototype, I would always be matched with other Prototypes (See 50:30 in the video). I don’t know about you, but it seems pretty imbalanced matching an Audi R18 against a Radical SR3…

I also tried GT3 in a multi-class event, and I was matched up with Trans-Am, Group 5, Group 4, and GT4 (See the 1 hour mark in the video)

Day to Night is AMAZING in this game. In my preview I had an issue with Le Mans not getting dark, but I’m happy to see it’s fixed. Le Mans at night in the rain… That makes
PCARS a horror game xD. It’s a thrill to drive, and it gets the blood pumping. I also recommend driving the RWD P30 LMP1 car at Nordschleife at night, it's CRAZY... As Petros Mak quoted to me: "Get's the heart pumping and the bowels flowing."

I still would not say the physics/ffb are of a sim level. They are solid “SimCade”, but not sim. I had some erratic moments in the physics as well, so they do need some work.

Here's how I rank physics, in my opinion (granted, I've never driven a race car in real life yet):

1. rFactor 2
2. Game Stock Car Extreme
3. Assetto Corsa
4. iRacing
5. RaceRoom Racing Experience
6. Project CARS

How I'd rank AI:

1. Game Stock Car Extreme
2. RaceRoom Racing Experience
3. rFactor 2
4. Project CARS
5. Assetto Corsa

Force Feedback

1. rFactor 2
2. Assetto Corsa
3. Project CARS
4. iRacing
5. RaceRoom Racing Experience

you must have better luck w/ R3E AI than i do. i like the list, its difficult for me to say "best physics" too as im in the same boat. so (like ffb) its a pretty subjective thing for me. its gotten quite hard to separate (for me) nu-R3E (~cars made since they became s3)/iR/AC/pCARS/SCE. even tho each are different. rf2 though is just, REALLY different, which makes it quite fascinating. is it the closest to the truth? get back to you in 15 years...

anyway nice list, i think i would find it more disagreeable (interesting, i should say...:D) if there were some kind of ratings atttached to each, bc for me its easy to say "well, 2-4 (or w/e) are very tough calls, i get that ranking" but theres probably a lot more difference in your mind than mine.

i like R3E FFB but i can see how itd put someone off. and glad again to see im not alone in thinking iR is sorta pants FFB-wise (i would love to say different, david tucker is always so genial & helpful & obv really knows his stuff but he's got a different interpretation of what ffb should do than me i guess).

actually come to think of it, im not sure its the R3E AI that are so bad but that collision system...this part is similar in pCARS. the sound and feeling (is there a feeling, or just that awful sound)...its just like too bricks being bashed together...ughghhgh. something about it just puts me right off.

R3E and GSCE use old gMotor 2.0 for physics. Most probably included is also the same gMotor 2.0 AI, unless they had a chance to tweak that part of code, which I doubt a bit because the AI behaviour is quite tied to the physics engine.

Back