ATI and NVIDIA updates

has any 1 tried 350.12 ? think i will wait.

I tried 350.12 but lost the frame-rate counter display so I reverted back to 347.88. I like having this frame-rate display on everything I play, no need for a third-party utility. I don't know if nVidia removed the fps counter on purpose or there's a bug that is preventing the display for me. (GTX980)

I'm on 350.12, mainly out of troubleshooting desperation. It's working fine. Was on 341.XX before...

Let's just hope DX12 Graphics Card don't throw up another issue like LOD for us charity case DX9 users. ( No offence Tim ) lol

Nothing I can think of coops.

Mind you nothing wrong with having a cheap 60GB SSD or 500GB sata to test W8/W10, plug it in when your really bored lol ;)

I would have done W8.1 it was 99% but I had a bug rF2 dropped framerate...............mmmm

Maybe I have another look..............mmm no spare hard drives..............good thing. lool ;)

nothing i can think of coops.

Mind you nothing wrong with having a cheap 60gb ssd or 500gb sata to test w8/w10, plug it in when your really bored lol ;)

i would have done w8.1 it was 99% but i had a bug rf2 dropped framerate...............mmmm

maybe i have another look..............mmm no spare hard drives..............good thing. lool ;)

tyvm durge

I tried Win 8.1 earlier this year, upgraded back to 7. I could not get downloads from file sharing sites to start, and every single knowledge base answer to the questions I asked at Microsoft said to see my network administrator. Useless. This wasn't even obscure sharing sites, it was the major players - Mediafire, Mega, Dropbox & Google docs.

I gave up out of sheer frustration.

Why are you guys having so much trouble with drivers?
I typically load only the Nvidia driver, Miracast virtual audio, HD audio and Physx....no GeForce Experience or 3D controller etc...
They always seem to run very well in my case....no crashes, stutter, etc...
Matter of fact, I installed 352.86 three days ago...applied the PCI-e timing tweak and have had zero issues.

Don't know what this is all about but this latest driver enabled nvidia surround on my gtx 660 for the first time. I am able to dump softth now. It was unexpected.

MSI AfterBurner v4.1.1

http://gaming.msi.com/features/afterburner

Added core voltage control for reference design NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X series graphics cards
Added core voltage control for reference design NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti series graphics cards
Now core voltage control via NCP4206 is unlocked on reference design NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 and
NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN series graphics cards when extended MSI voltage control mode is selected
Added new third party voltage control mode. Traditionally we provided voltage control on reference design graphics cards or on custom design MSI graphics cards only. However, rich set of PWM controllers supported by MSI Afterburner core allows implementing voltage control on many third party custom design graphics cards as well. With this version we introduce original concept of user extendable voltage control mode, allowing experienced users to get access to programmable MSI Afterburner core, get access to full range of voltage controllers supported by it, create custom hardware database and program MSI Afterburner to provide voltage control on many third party custom design graphics cards. Third party voltage control mode requires populating and downloading third party hardware database, please visit MSI Afterburner discussion forums to help adding your custom design cards to the database or download the latest database version.
Fixed bug causing application to crash when “layered with alpha” skin composition mode is selected, application is minimized to system tray and properties are accessed via the context menu of detached monitoring window
Improved hardware monitoring module:
Added negative temperatures monitoring support for NVIDIA GPUs
Fixed extended CPU family and model detection to address issue with incorrect maximum junction temperature (Tjmax) detection on some Intel CPUs
Now power users can override the maximum junction temperature (Tjmax) via configuration file if necessary
Added temperature monitoring for AMD Family 10h – 16h micro architecture CPUs. Please take a note that this functionality is currently experimental and disabled by default. Power users can unlock AMD CPU temperature monitoring via [CPUHAL] section in the configuration file if necessary
Added correction formulas support. Now you can apply a custom correction formula to any data source in hardware monitoring module. Correction formulas can be useful to apply temperature offsets to custom temperature sensors if necessary (e.g. set formula to “x+20”), display effective memory clock instead of base clock (e.g. set formula to “x*2”), display per-GPU memory usage instead of total memory usage on Crossfire systems (e.g. set formula to “x/2”) and many, many more.
Hardware Monitoring Log file format has been upgraded to v1.5 to provide correction formulas support.
Added “CPU load” graph to multicore CPUs. The graph is displaying the average CPU load across all CPU cores.
Added “CPU temperature” graph to thermal monitoring capable multicore CPUs. The graph is displaying the maximum CPU temperature across all CPU cores
o Added connection retry counter to Logitech LCD monitoring module. Now MSI Afterburner stop trying to connect to Logitech LCD after some failed connection attempts instead of trying to connect to it in endless loop. Retry counter implementation is aimed to bypass the problem with GDI resource leak in Logitech LCD API, which could cause application to crash after some period of time when output to LCD is enabled on the system with no Logitech LCD connected to it
Added dynamic output format for min / max limits displayed on the graphs. Now MSI Afterburner uses integer output format for limits if the range between minimum and maximum limits is greater than 1, otherwise it uses floating point output format
Improved skin engine:
Added support for altered USF skins obfuscation scheme used in most recent versions of third party overclocking tools
Drastically reduced load time for obfuscated USF skin files (*.UXF). Now MSI Afterburner open obfuscated skin files roughly 10 times faster than the previous version
Reduced skinned GUI initialization time due to cached access to the skin header
Added support for negative GPU temperature indicators in all skins supplied with application
Multimedia timer resolution is no longer hardcoded to 10ms. The resolution is now adjustable and set to 16ms by default to reduce timer interrupts related CPU load at the cost of losing some smoothness in GUI animation. Power users can override timer resolution via the configuration file if necessary
Updated kernel mode driver provides new IOCTLs for safe access to PCI bus required for temperature monitoring on AMD CPUs

Had Intel chipset, management, sata, USB and Afterburner updates archived so decided to try 353.06 on a fresh OS.

Glad I did picked up some frames and somehow looks a bit cleaner.

What`s the PCI-e timing tweak? (tried with google - but not sure)
TIA

This....

Run Regedit

Go to; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/ CurrentControlSet/ Control/Video

The folder associated with a graphics card will have three or more subfolders (depending on how many PCI-E slots available on the motherboard).
The values listed for each subfolder will be 0000, 0001, 0002, 0003, 0004, and Video.
Review only the subfolders labeled as "0000". You will know you have selected the correct "0000" subfolder when you see a registry labeled “DriverDesc” with a value that matches the graphics card you have installed. Example, the value in my “DriverDesc” registry value reads “NVIDIA Geforce GTX 680”.

Right click on the folder labeled “0000”. Select “New”, then select “DWORD (32-bit) Value“, then enter “RMPcieLinkSpeed” for the name of the registry.

Right click the “RMPcieLinkSpeed” registry you just created, then select “Modify”, then enter “4” as the data value and verify that the “Hexadecimal” option is checked under “Base”, and then select “OK”.

Repeat steps 9 and 10 for each graphics card associated folder (named “0000”)

Once you have completed creating the RMPcieLinkSpeed registry for each card, close the Registry Editor window and restart your computer.

Why are you guys having so much trouble with drivers?
I typically load only the Nvidia driver, Miracast virtual audio, HD audio and Physx....no GeForce Experience or 3D controller etc...
They always seem to run very well in my case....no crashes, stutter, etc...
Matter of fact, I installed 352.86 three days ago...applied the PCI-e timing tweak and have had zero issues.

Saw your registry edit instructions, but what is the tweak for? Are there exceptions to when this is not needed? Thanks.

Saw your registry edit instructions, but what is the tweak for? Are there exceptions to when this is not needed? Thanks.

It not needed if you have a later than SandyBridge-E CPU and supported motherboard.
The E did not have native out-of-the-box support for PCI-e 3.0.
It had to be turned on.

It not needed if you have a later than SandyBridge-E CPU and supported motherboard.
It had to be turned on.
I see, thanks. Though I have a z87 board, I tried checking the registry and didn't find the RMPcielinkspeed parameter. So perhaps its still activated in these boards even w/o the parameter?

It had to be turned on.

Still will only work if you have a CPU that will run 3.0 correct?

Yes, Kristoff, the CPU needs to support 3.0 as-well. Anything as of Ivy Bridge CPUs definitely have PCI-E 3.0.

Yeah... I updated my motherboard for PCIE3.0... But my Sandy Girl don't do threesomes...

I find my 4690@3.9GHz better then my Sandy@4.5 for general stuff, boot-time, encoding.

Boost in rF2 alone was worth it.

Whether X99 is worth the extra for SLi .....ask Spin. lol ;)

Omg hell yes. RF2 at PCI-E 3.0 @ 16x gains huge over PCI-E 3.0 @ 8x / 2.0 @ 16x, and I can run both GPUs at that full speed thanks to having 40 3.0 lanes (therefore both GPUs running at 3.0 @ 16x each). SCE, RF2, etc. only scale well with SLI when using Nvidia 3D Vision which I indeed use. The boost in frames thanks to SLI is very much needed when running triple 1080p screens, multiview, and Nvidia 3D Vision.

See told ya :p

lol ;)

P.S.

Z97 you can't even run single video and a Pcie SSD without losing performance, sucks. lol

Last edited:
Omg hell yes. RF2 at PCI-E 3.0 @ 16x gains huge over PCI-E 3.0 @ 8x / 2.0 @ 16x, and I can run both GPUs at that full speed thanks to having 40 3.0 lanes (therefore both GPUs running at 3.0 @ 16x each). SCE, RF2, etc. only scale well with SLI when using Nvidia 3D Vision which I indeed use. The boost in frames thanks to SLI is very much needed when running triple 1080p screens, multiview, and Nvidia 3D Vision.

What's your board? You mean you can enable it to have 2 16x PCI-e slots? Thought these boards only had 1 16x and the rest slower (8x, or 4x) slots. :confused:

EDIT: Saw your Sabertooth X79 board, wow, dual 16x slots! :cool:

P.S.
Z97 you can't even run single video and a Pcie SSD without losing performance, sucks. lol

What do you mean DurgeDriven, is it because there's only 1 PCI-e 16x in Z97 boards?

Last edited:
What's your board? You mean you can enable it to have 2 16x PCI-e slots? Thought these boards only had 1 16x and the rest slower (8x, or 4x) slots. :confused:

EDIT: Saw your Sabertooth X79 board, wow, dual 16x slots! :cool:?

It's actually an AS Rock X99 Fata1ty Killer now, I switched to Haswell-E.

Yes, sometimes some motherboards even have more than 2 PCI-E slots capable of full speeds (3.0 @ 16x) however the system only has 40 lanes so those slots won't all run 16x each if they all have a GPU in them; they'll drop to, for e.g 16x, 8x, 8x, 8x, (Quad-GPU) or 16x, 16x, 8x (Tri-GPU).

It's awesome having so many lanes. I can run dual-GPU both at full speed (3.0 @ 16x) while running a PCI-E / M.2 SSD at full speed (3.0 @ 4x). Leaving me with still 4 more lanes to spare.

Speaking of PCI-E / M.2 SSDs, check out the Samsung SM951. Absolutely insane, and not much higher priced than standard SSDs.

What do you mean DurgeDriven, is it because there's only 1 PCI-e 16x in Z97 boards?
Ya. I believe you can get motherboards with multiple "true" (i.e. no multiplexing chips like the PLXs) full speed slots, however, you're still limited to 16 lanes - you just have the freedom to choose the slot, that's all.

Last edited:
40 lanes is top width I believe... And then some of those are normally reserved.

I'm thinking about a 2600k or 2700k... Looked at 4790k but a little rich for my blood.

2600/2700K are Pcie 2.0 you know that right Kris ?

If you have a 2500K@4.8GHz I don't see the benefit.

If 4790K is too rich then you stuck with 8 x 8 SLi

Best bet for PCI-e 3.0 in rF2 would be a 4690K and midrange Z97 mobo ( if you want to overclock )

Sell your CPU/Mobo combo to pay the extra for M/B ( people still pay good money for good overclocking Sandys )

4690K + Z97 - $390

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117372

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130770

Last edited:
2600/2700K are Pcie 2.0 you know that right Kris ?

If you have a 2500K@4.8GHz I don't see the benefit.

If 4790K is too rich then you stuck with 8 x 8 SLi

Best bet for PCI-e 3.0 in rF2 would be a 4690K and midrange Z97 mobo ( if you want to overclock )

Sell your CPU/Mobo combo to pay the extra for M/B ( people still pay good money for good overclocking Sandys )

4690K + Z97 - $390

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117372

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130770

Damnit... No... I thought they were Ivy's.

Back