ATI and NVIDIA updates

Yeah... That's good advice Durge. :cool:

Even a 4690 @ Turbo 3.9Ghz would run as well in rF2 as a Sandy at 4.8GHz I think.......... I had a 2500K@4.5Ghz ( 5GHz winter )

They a tiny bit snappier in desktop and faster in encoding too.

Add in the performance gain from PCE-e 3.0 for rF2 :cool:

*** NOTE That motherboard for SLi 8x8x you can't use the 3rd slot for anything.

Ya, 4690k is great. You don't need 4790k it's pretty much the same chip but with Hyperthreading. Forget it.

Cores/threads
Sandy
Ivy
Haswell / Devil's Canyon

4c/4t
4670k / 4690k

4c/8t
4770k / 4790k

Btw Nice on the new Samsung, makes a Intel750 look like a brick. lool p

But it sort of makes my point you can go out spend 800 aussie dollars on "nice" i7/Z97 setup
happy to sacrifice the best SLi performance then get sucker punched when they release the 3.0x4 SSDs.

Even single card user faces the same prospect.

Tis' a cruel world lool

True, if someone doesn't know it'll affect their GPU then that sucks

40 lanes is top width I believe... And then some of those are normally reserved.
I've heard this before but when I had triple 780 Tis (for only a week or two) they were running at true PCI-E 3.0 @ 16x,16x, and 8x. I think the reserved PCI-E lanes are something else. From the PCH instead of the CPU or something.

40 full? I'm confused now... I went to look it up and Wiki says 32...

The PCI Express link between two devices can consist of anywhere from one to 32 lanes. In a multi-lane link, the packet data is striped across lanes, and peak data throughput scales with the overall link width. The lane count is automatically negotiated during device initialization, and can be restricted by either endpoint.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

I have no idea what that's explaining. Maybe it's speaking theoretically for one device (i.e. 1 GPU). The i7-970, 980 etc. (can't remember the name), Sandy-E, Ivy-E, and H-E all include / are all capable of 40 PCI-E lanes.

That's what I thought... 40. But wanted to check... And as we all know, if you ever want to find erroneous information... Wikipedia is the place to be.

I have no idea what that's explaining. Maybe it's speaking theoretically for one device (i.e. 1 GPU). The i7-970, 980 etc. (can't remember the name), Sandy-E, Ivy-E, and H-E all include / are all capable of 40 PCI-E lanes.

Haswell-E 5820K = 28 lanes

Seems weirdo choice to me.

edit: Ah no I see.....8x8x8x and you could run a 4xSSD lol

The payoff in smoothness is quite noticeable.
The framerate is an added bonus at PCI-e 3.0...for both RF2 and AC.
I'm not sure about other games...but certainly those two benefit mega.
I recently purchased a GTX970 and was having a small issue getting PCI-e 3.0 to run with my current Biostar X79 and I7-3820.
Believe it or not, the GTX670 at PCI-e 3.0 was running RF2 and AC just slightly slower...but much, much smoother at the exact settings.
I was actually prepared to return the 970 and continue using the 670, if I couldn't get PCI-e 3.0 working on the former....that how close it was (comparing the faster card at PCI-e 2.0 to the slower at 3.0).
I could care less about maximum frame rate, what I do care about is smoothness during running.
I love seeing the scenery go by as a nice smooth blur.:D
It still amazes me how capable at 3.0 the 670 is... even after almost three years.
The Biostar TP X79 motherboard came with (2) 16X PCI-e 3.0 and (1) 8X PCI-e 3.0 lanes.
The only difference being, that it was not officially supported and had to be turned on with the hack for Sandy Bridge-E processors.

Last edited:
That's it!
If you have an Nvidia card and supported MB/CPU and are not currently running this setting, prepare to be pleasantly surprised.

Next problem for last Gen. owners like me ... W8.1 and bloody Fast Boot ! lol

Update GPU-Z , you will get a UEFI window , if it is checked you are cool for native UEFI with no CSM

I had to update bios on my GTX670.

P.S. Still can't get Fast Boot running. lol ( think it may be my X-Fi Titanium )

Going to strip tower down tonight to bare essentials have another go.

Last install with a heaps of new drivers fixed my problem with lower Fps in rF2 W8.1 too Spin.

Not quite sure how but I'll take it. ..........lol

Last edited:
Whats uefi for, what benefit? How do you check # of supported lanes of a mobo?

-via Tapatalk (S4)

I' going to try the same, Durge (new drivers) as soon as I get my PC up and running.

How do you check # of supported lanes of a mobo?
It's determined by the chipset and the CPU. For example, the X99 chipset is capable of 40 lanes but the 5820k CPU for that platform is only capable of up to 24 lanes, or 28 or something - I can't remember exactly but you get the point.

I'm not sure if there are motherboards out there that can limit you, e.g., a cheap motherboard can only support 16 lanes even though it uses a chipset as well as CPU capable of 40 lanes. I don't know if that situation even exists.

Pretty much this:

If you have a Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Haswell / Devil's Canyon - and I think Broadwell and Skylake - CPU then you have 16 lanes.

If you have Sandy Bridge-E, Ivy Bridge-E, Haswell-E, and some of the prior equivalent CPUs (e.g. i7-970), you have 40 lanes.

Last edited:
Whats uefi for, what benefit?

-via Tapatalk (S4)

Read that get back.

W8
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/20256-uefi-firmware-settings-boot-inside-windows-8-a.html
*** As well READ RELATED ARTICLES at bottom of page.

W7
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...e-firmware-interface-install-windows-7-a.html

I was actually showing Nvidia Inspector which doesn't show the EUFI in the same location. Here's my GPU-Z showing that it didn't work for me.

I realize that.

I said for Last GEN users, your Series 7xx is covered factory bios.

From GTX680 down you may have to flash bios for "native" UEFI support.

Without UEFI graphics you can't turn off CSM in bios ( you can but reboot you will see it is re-enabled )

If you can't turn off CSM you can't run native UEFI, if you cant run UEFI you can't run FastBoot.

The CSM, or Compatibility Support Module, is used so a UEFI type BIOS can be used or run as a standard BIOS does.
When CSM is enabled, a PC is not UEFI booting, it is BIOS booting.
In order to UEFI boot with Windows 8, CSM must be disabled.

IE:

Intel IGP are UEFI

One of the first mistakes users make doing a u beaut SSD FastBoot/UEFI/GPT setup
with a older gaming GPU.

So if you have problems with CSM or fastboot check your Graphics card UEFI
and other hardware

Last edited:
durge how i flash bios not 1 thing i ever been game enough to play with as dont want to stuff it up. csm ?

durge how i flash bios not 1 thing i ever been game enough to play with as dont want to stuff it up. csm ?

*** I am not using FastBoot or W8.1 again ( gone back to good 'Ol W7HP64Bit lol )

With W7 I don't see any advantage to UEFI / GPT

BIOS flashing EVGA THIS IS NOT YOUR BIOS I CANT SEEM TO FIND GTX680
http://forums.evga.com/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-670-Firmware-Update-v80045C-Updated-041613-m1703680.aspx

If you don't have that UEFI box ticked AND you want to migrate to W8.1 with Full EFI and FastBoot you would need UEFI support

I AM NOT SAYING your BIOS flash will do it.

My Bios already said UEFI but it was unticked in GPU-Z . I flashed it now its ticked.

Until I flashed the GTX670 bios I was actually running W8.1 in UEFI-CSM not native UEFI so CSM was still enabled.

Gigabyte has a flash tool you just run it point to bios file press OK.

CSM is ...........

When CSM (Compatibility Support Module) is enabled it allows a modern EFI based PC to operate in a Legacy BIOS mode.

This allows for your operating system to be installed and run from a traditional MBR (Master Boot Record) disk and the advanced features of the EFI system are disabled.

Switching to UEFI mode enables the EFI system. UEFI PCs usually use the GPT file table, which includes a hidden SYSTEM partition and a Windows SYSTEM RESERVED partition.

Basically unless you use W8.1 / W10 and your hardware boot really fast with Fast/Ultra Boot Enabled there is no need for UEFI or GPT imo.

Setting up UEFI in windows 7 can be trickier depending on hardware

I gone back to a W7 MBR partition, I can disable hibernation ( fast Boot in W8.1 needs it )

Fastboot is not operating proper for me even after enabling UEFI for GTX670 but at least it does now turn off CSM.

If you Video card is not UEFI supported you cant turn CSM off ergo you can't run full EFI.

W7 MBR mode - CSM ON

W7/W8 GPT legacy mode - UEFI/CSM

W8 GPT mode - UEFI

I was going to swap images I did it before, I put pics in some thread here here swapping from W7 to W8 and back to W7 in 7-8 minutes.

But something with my new Motherboard H97 Gaming is not right.
It installs full UEFI and disables CSM and runs Ultra/Fast Boot fine.
Only problem it is no faster restarting then a W7-W8 MBR partition. ( **Fastboot only speeds up restarts not shutdowns )

On my last Motherboard FastBoot worked properly took 4-5 seconds to restart and I never even had to play with Bios ..........I don't get it.

READ the 2 articles I linked covers UEFI/CSM I think ;)

=================

EDIT

My advice if you were doing MBR to GPT for W8.1-W10

Move everything from your tower including video card/s / sound / DVD and extra USB hardware

Use the Intel IGP and just the primary hardrive and K/B and Mouse to test a OS install first.
Check everything is working as it should be.
FastBoot PC should restart in a few seconds

AMD I have no clue.

Last edited:
See mine here
http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4211#bios

Even though the Bios I was already running F12 said UEFI I still needed F13.

Pretty pointless in the end, I mean it has let me disable CSM in Bios I guess............ lol

P.S.

If I get a new SSD I will try full EFI and W8-10 again.

BTW I said w8.1 rF2 "seemed" better now it was first run from pits.

Then next reboot or install or whatever I did it went back to dropping frames again like last time I tired it.

Wierdo I never had such a variation in 2 OS I install in the same game/sim I mean ever

In W7 the fps never moves in pits if I move wheel right left with 100% look it slowly rolls a few fps difference.

In W8.1 the fps flutters 5 fps when its stationary , I move the wheel it goes crazy, 10+ fps ?

I do a full 360 chase cam rotation of a car fast and it is slightly lagging in W8.1 W7 is just so smooth

wtf? lol

Last edited:
If you don't know how to flash your bios, I would not recommend flashing your bios. Many newer systems come with windows programs to do it for you... Much, much safer.

If you don't know how to flash your bios, I would not recommend flashing your bios. Many newer systems come with windows programs to do it for you... Much, much safer.

Flashing bios is not the big bad monster it used to be.

Fact is if you want UEFI ( Fast Boot ) and your video card is not UEFI you will have to flash it or buy a new video card.

It was a big bad monster even for we more advanced users... It's not so big and bad for us now... Still not a novice thing to be doing. Just some fair warning.

im on win7 so il just stick with it and not touch bios. tyvm for your help guys much appreciated.

im on win7 so il just stick with it and not touch bios. tyvm for your help guys much appreciated.

Yep no advantage with W7 ;)

lool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLCVtfON4VA

What a Nob boot faster lool ....do you see some of the garbage he is running ? ......must be 40 apps in startup lol

My startup below...... nadda. :rolleyes:

That is the top utube search for Fast boot windows 7 ................ you got to be kidding. lol

Light years I'm sure... DDR4 up to 128gb of Ram? More then you could even dream of using... PCI-E 30 x16 lanes for miles... 18 CORES.... MMMmmmmmm....

I have the X99X Killer Fata1ty board. Also capable of 128 GB DDR4. Also capable of 40 PCI-E 3.0 lanes. It's just a slightly lower model board than the OC Formula.

Xeon processors aren't great for gaming because low frequencies/clocks and many cores is the opposite of what games like. Games like less cores and high frequencies/clocks

8 GB of RAM is fine for 99.9% of gaming nowadays, and 16GB should cover you for that last 0.1%.

DDR4 has shown to hardly make a difference in games.

This board will hardly do anything your "standard" X99 board can't do when it comes to gaming. The board probably has higher quality components which may allow you to reach higher stable overclocks but we're talking maybe 4.7 instead of 4.5 GHz or something, and it may not even make that much difference; the difference may only come into play when using liquid nirogen, or something, for extreme cooling and overclocking (like overclockers trying to break records and such).

Last edited:
Well I render for a living... So both Xeons and tons of ram do me all kinds of good. Plus the power regulation and connection quality is pretty nice. but I don't have the money for any of that and there's a good chance I'd come close to matching it anyway.

Ya, the 18 cores (36 threads total?) would make a big difference then. Totally. Same with 128 GB of RAM VS 8/16/32/64, and DDR4.

Most of them read CPU's... Like Vue, one of my favs reads CPU's as seen in the attached screenshot. you can see that my lil i5 2500k @ 5ghz is going to take roughly 3 hours to render this simple scene.

That system would probably bang it out almost instantly. But, unlike most rendering programs, Vue allows you to work on other things with your box while rendering.

View attachment 17078

Regardless, rtight now it's more cost effective for me to just spin up a dedicated server on rackspace and spend like $8 and use this monster box to render and then just turn it off afterwards. 32cpu's/60gb of ram $2.50 an hour.

View attachment 17079

i5-2500Ki7-5960X
Physical Cores48
Threads (Physical Cores + Virtual Cores)416
RAM TypeDDR3DDR4
RAM Amount (max)32 GB (4 x 8GB)128 GB
RAM Frequency (max)2133 MHz (SB IMC probably can't handle 2400 MHz>3200 MHz
RAM ChannelingDualQuad

Why not look for a used 5960X (or even a 5930k, or at-least a 5820k) and throw it on a not-so top-end X99 board? Combine it with 32 GB or at-least 16 GB (4 x 4GB) of 3000 MHz, quad-channel, DDR4 RAM? You'll have a beast of a system at a quite affordable price especially if you go with the 5820k, 16 GB (4 x 4GB), and a low-price board.

P.S. ASRock's entire line of X99 boards including their Mini-ATX and even their Mini-ITX models all support 18-core xeon processors :). They almost all support 128 GB of RAM as well except their mini-ITX model (two DIMM slots - dual channel).

Last edited:
Why not ?

I installed on a W8.1 OS.

Finally worked out why rF2 was stuttering........ needed to set GPU sync was all .........doh.

W7 I had no vsync and was smooth as silk ....... in W8.1 it is was horrible. lol

Yes, 5820k 28 lanes not 40.

Instead of making the lowest model have 4/8 cores/threads and 40 lanes like Intel did with the 3820k and 4820k, they kept the 6/12 cores/threads but reduced the lanes to 28.

Back