Rfactor 2 vs Iracing vs CARS- a newbs perspective

Trucking is relaxation actually as you don't need to rush, or at least with any well done sim you don't need to rush, but those are few and rare, challenge is more in making intersections and lane changes without causing accidents and also more of tactical kind of game instead of action.

However game makers seem to try to make it to be action gaming and thus their attempts to create something successful are to fail.

Makes sense and sounds interesting b/c I'm usually sweating and tired after intense online racing. Might be nice to relax some in between races LOL or maybe even talk to my wife or kids or go to the bathroom or shower LOL

Makes sense and sounds interesting b/c I'm usually sweating and tired after intense online racing. Might be nice to relax some in between races LOL or maybe even talk to my wife or kids or go to the bathroom or shower LOL

If kids still know who you are and why you are at the house, then you need to sim race more, rule of thumb ;)

I raced Clios online at mountain forest and was literally giggling it was so much fun. Holy crap are these cars fun! It tire sounds were only better I swear I just cannot let it go. The sandpaper sounds is just horrible. Of course not as bad as the "fingers on chalkboard" of some other mods but could be much better. Other than that though wow I can't imagine having more fun. So glad for these cars especially as seems have killed the Megane LOL, what pieces of **** those are LOL.

IMHO, the Clio is one of the few cars I've been enjoying in sims. Hmm, the tires sound does not bother me, actually I think its not bad at all. Are we sure that we are hearing the same sound? I'll do a little video tonight so that we confirm.

The Osella and Abart in nKpro are another 2 that I love. I think they are awesome. Pity there is never anyone online for these cars. In rF1, there are a few good ones too (BMW E21!).

The Mustang in iRacing is fun to drive, but it feels like a tank! The problem is that I am 4 seconds slower than others : )_ I used to like the Jetta in iRacing, but now I am sick of it as I think it drives like 5h!t.

LFS (Live For Speed) was my top sim up to a year ago. All my mates are still there :( I think its a classic now. That was an awesome sim, but the time for it is over...It got too boring too.

Game Stock 2012....I got the demo, I could not get the camaro cockpit to show and the engine sound was not working....weird. I was disappointed with this and just exited. I'll surely give it another try with the mini comes out.

For some reason, I do not want to give up on pCars. Yesterday I went on the forum and stayed reading a bit. In the physics section, there were lots of 'complaints', suggestions and tips...all referring to better physics, so, I have a feeling that one day the physics will not be that bad. Then I went a bit around with Asano X4 Touring (Audi A4 DTM), set the time for dawn....hehe, have to stay the graphics, the sun setting down, the reflections, it was amazing. And the car was not handling very badly. I wont give up on this one, cause there is definitely potential, fingers crossed!

As for Asetto Corsa....why would they develop a sim with worse physics then nkPro!!!??? Yeah, you tell me so that they hit better masses and sell more? Maybe. Hope not. I think they are more intelligent than that and will have 'arcade' and sim options! I think they did their homework well, I think that many people will be happy. But, let's wait and see :)

Then again, there were some online yesterday saying how much they hate the clios! Fact is that every one of us is different, we like different things so the best would be if you try it yourself and judge yourself. Opinion of others might not count for you.

FAsano X4 Touring (Audi A4 DTM), .

It's physical configuration is such that it drives well as it sticks and doesn't move about as much, as such, you don't notice the spongee center mounted feel of it.
It's amazing how enticing nice GFX are....

Clios, yeah, well, hmm, I'm sure that it is nice car and all that, but it is FWD and it is modern one, which makes it somehow dull, it is probably that damping setup, but it makes car just feel like it probably is in reality, dull, for me.

I have driven many modern cars in reality and they also have felt rather dull, they kind of remove all that rolling and weight throwing from driving which I consider to be fun part.

I don't know how Mustang is in iRacing, but it is bit of heavy side and especially as it has lot of weight at front it is bit of tank like, not very fast to switch direction etc.

Springs in mustang are surprisingly stiff, but because of motion ratio wheel rates are quite soft which makes it even more tank like, one should not be able to drive car around corners, but he should drive mass around corners in those. But really I have no idea how iRacing has implemented that one.

I'm working on 67 Firebird at the moment which is close to Mustang in many ways, it does feel a tank after driving F1 car, but when you first drive Lincoln Mark V and then drive Firebird, it is not tank at all, even it is bit over 1600kg with driver and has CG height above 0.5m from ground, but compare that to over 5 meters long 2 ton car that rides on soft sponges and it is nimble sports car ;)

Anyone not knowing, Lincoln has soft suspension even when compared to average old american boats, it is such suspension that you can drive over pothole without noticing pothole being there, similar to older Cadillacs etc. There is nothing sporty, well except car has 2 doors, in Finland press makes car being sport model always when it has only 2 or 3 doors, silly.

Anyway, it is not necessarily bad thing that car feels like a tank in sim, some cars really are bit like so and some others a lot more like so, but with appropriate updates to suspension car can be made lot less tank like, it is then what kind of car it tries to be, not modified street car or race modified one?

Clios, yeah, well, hmm, I'm sure that it is nice car and all that, but it is FWD and it is modern one, which makes it somehow dull, it is probably that damping setup, but it makes car just feel like it probably is in reality, dull, for me.

True, RWD are more fun, as you need more skill and more input to go fast. The reason why I like FWD is because I can go very fast with them. For example, with the clio's, I feel that I can compete with the top fast guys (just maybe .5 slower at times). This gives me satisfaction and it's more fun to me!

With RWD, I am dead slow! Depending on the car....the faster the car, the slower I am. On average 3 to 4 seconds slower. I struggle with braking and getting out of corners fast.

Is it because I am a noob? Or maybe not enough skills? Or mabye cause I am a **** driver?....then why with FWD I am one of the fastest and many are slow with FWD?

Pity, cause most cars are RWD and I am at a big loss. It' something that I have struggled with for many years. :(

Trucking is relaxation actually as you don't need to rush, or at least with any well done sim you don't need to rush, but those are few and rare, challenge is more in making intersections and lane changes without causing accidents and also more of tactical kind of game instead of action.

However game makers seem to try to make it to be action gaming and thus their attempts to create something successful are to fail.

Sorry but I have got to say this, heheh. I am a trucker in real life and the last thing doing that is, is relaxing :)

If they were ever to make a realistic trucking sim, you would have a lot of stuff to deal with. People driving too fast for conditions, people texting while driving, reading while driving, putting on makeup while driving, screaming at the kids, and all of those are without paying any attention to what is going on around them while doing it.

Then you have to put up with people going too slow in the lanes you are legally allowed to drive in, people cutting you off constantly, people making rude gestures if they are upset with how you are driving, the list goes on and on.

Then you would be required to drive the thing for anywhere from 8 to 11 hours a day, every day of the week for 2 months without a break, eat lousy food and sleep in the heat, cold and humidity unless you are in a state that allows engines to be run longer than 5 minutes.

I don't think many would buy such a sim :)

Sorry for dumb question but why is Simbin doing race room for free? What's in it for them? Pay for add ons? Advertising?

They are going to charge for content.
I guess they will include some free tracks and cars, and the rest will be paid.

I'm all into rF2 at the moment but I'm curious to see how Assetto Corsa will come out. I saw that video and I got the exact same feeling over that cockpit footage. Just a littlebit worried... well, we'll have to wait I guess..
Yeah but like i say the fact Bram and WIX are both saying don't worry, i'm sure it's gonna be brilliant. I think i was just a little surprised more than anything at just how dynamic it all looked in comparison to NKP more than anything. All i know is with that and rF2, my sim life is well and truly catered for in the future. By the sounds of things RaceRoom looks like it's gonna be point to point and time trial racing rather than and all out racing sim. I spose we will learn more in the coming days with that sim, it looked great though whatever it is and sounded fantastic.

Sorry but I have got to say this, heheh. I am a trucker in real life and the last thing doing that is, is relaxing :)

If they were ever to make a realistic trucking sim, you would have a lot of stuff to deal with. People driving too fast for conditions, people texting while driving, reading while driving, putting on makeup while driving, screaming at the kids, and all of those are without paying any attention to what is going on around them while doing it.

Then you have to put up with people going too slow in the lanes you are legally allowed to drive in, people cutting you off constantly, people making rude gestures if they are upset with how you are driving, the list goes on and on.

Then you would be required to drive the thing for anywhere from 8 to 11 hours a day, every day of the week for 2 months without a break, eat lousy food and sleep in the heat, cold and humidity unless you are in a state that allows engines to be run longer than 5 minutes.

No but such a sim should be a mandatory part of driver training :)

Last edited:
No but such a sim should a mandatory part of driver training :)

Hehehe, People don't want to learn the truth, they want to learn to direct a 1 ton vehicle at traffic and hope they can come out the other side still alive and with daddy's car unscratched, :)

I have always felt that in order to get a license to drive a car, one must first put a year in driving a semi truck.

You forgot no chance to shower for almost a week and other joys :D

For driving a truck alone so that you don't crash at 1st intersection one has a lot more going on than with small car, checking lot of mirrors, then there is that blond with mobile on ear that is in 'rush' who then drives over painted line and so much into intersection that you simply can't make that turn as front needs to go bit over another lane or one crashes to traffic lights etc. One of the most annoying are those that do not think, overtake you, then slam on brakes to protest that you go so slow, very much fun when road is icy.

But indeed worse things are those working times and how you really can't have lot of own life because shift starts so soon after last ended, it is totally different from office hours.

And then waiting, man was that boring, waiting loader guy, waiting to unload etc.

I doubt that fully realistic sim of such would indeed sell, but in game it is so different, just drive 15minutes and you are there, bling, instantly unloaded ;D

That driving part is actually quite nice on that job, but those other things killed my interest to do that job.

Hehehe, People don't want to learn the truth, they want to learn to direct a 1 ton vehicle at traffic and hope they can come out the other side still alive and with daddy's car unscratched, :)

I have always felt that in order to get a license to drive a car, one must first put a year in driving a semi truck.

Preferrably in Vietnam capital city or at India, anyone wanting to drive after that would be a good driver for sure, also there would be 99.99% less drivers on road ;D

In those places patience is truly a virtue, also one either learns to read traffic or will crash, there are so many people on road that it changes way one thinks about traffic, there is no me on those roads.

Those places are easy jtbo, try driving in LA, San Francisco, New York, Chicago, those areas will test your skill and will :) With the laws the way they currently are, we are only allowed to drive for a total of 11 hours a day, 70 hours in any 8 day period. That 70 hours also includes times when you are standing still but still "on the clock". You have to keep log books of your driving and they have to be accurate. You are only allowed to be "on duty" for a maximum of 14 hours in a given day, and that is consecutive hours. So if you start your day at 0400 in the morning, you can drive or working until 1800 and then you have to shut down for at least 10 hours. Of those 10 hours, you need to sleep for at least 6 consecutive hours without interruption.

My typical day when I drove over the road was get up and start driving at 0430, don't stop at all for anything for 10 hours and shut down till the following morning and do it all again. If I was able to reach my destination before that 10 hours I then had to hope that the loader or unloader was quick otherwise I might have to camp out in their parking lot for the night. I have had instances where I arrived at a shipper at 0730 and was backed up to a loading dock at that time. The warehouse took until 2400 to finish loading me. Those were the painful days as I get paid by the mile, not by the hour, so I made no money that day.

Guess we should stop talking about trucking in this thread though, hehe, I think we hijacked it enough :)

Are you serioys??? My wife in a truck for a year??? Ill be in jail for debts the following thirty years!!!

(on the other hand, traffic around our house will dissapear for a looong time)

Those places are easy jtbo, try driving in LA, San Francisco, New York, Chicago......ed up to a loading dock at that time. The warehouse took until 2400 to finish loading me. Those were the painful days as I get paid by the mile, not by the hour, so I made no money that day.

Guess we should stop talking about trucking in this thread though, hehe, I think we hijacked it enough :)
There´s a "thing" called Brasil wich any truck driver could say that all what you´re doing is relaxing and you text sounds like heaven.

I had a friend who lived for some time in Brasil in the 80s and he was talking about endless roads, no tarmac, wide and straight for hundreds of km, joining cities and virgin jungle all around.
He was saying that busses didnt even stop for a tyre change, somehow there was an automatic system...
Was any of this true?

He said also that because of the monstrous long distances, only decent way to travel was the aeroplane...

I had a friend who lived for some time in Brasil in the 80s and he was talking about endless roads, no tarmac, wide and straight for hundreds of km, joining cities and virgin jungle all around.
He was saying that busses didnt even stop for a tyre change, somehow there was an automatic system...
Was any of this true?

He said also that because of the monstrous long distances, only decent way to travel was the aeroplane...
He must take the Transamazonica. Was a road build by militars aiming colonize the north part of country. Now we have Manaus and Belem but the road fall apart.
That busses didn´t stop no for fancy automatic system. Its because assaults.
Nowadays things are better after 10 years of Lula but in someway still scary as hell like i said about truck drivers condition. I could say all of them take pills to beat their schedule, but not to generalizated i will say 99%. Very danger, but they have no choice to keep theirs job. Its a really shame for us.

Yes, it was the Transmazonica now that you mention.
I remember him saying that a friend of his took him for a drive outside of SauPaulo and after an hours drive they were in the middle of jungle with no hope of resque if something happened to them. No mobiles at the time :(

As for pills, I suspect a lot of European truck drivers use them, so, Brasil is enourmous, what do you expect...

IMHO, the Clio is one of the few cars I've been enjoying in sims. Hmm, the tires sound does not bother me, actually I think its not bad at all. Are we sure that we are hearing the same sound? I'll do a little video tonight so that we confirm.

The Osella and Abart in nKpro are another 2 that I love. I think they are awesome. Pity there is never anyone online for these cars. In rF1, there are a few good ones too (BMW E21!).

The Mustang in iRacing is fun to drive, but it feels like a tank! The problem is that I am 4 seconds slower than others : )_ I used to like the Jetta in iRacing, but now I am sick of it as I think it drives like 5h!t.

LFS (Live For Speed) was my top sim up to a year ago. All my mates are still there :( I think its a classic now. That was an awesome sim, but the time for it is over...It got too boring too.

Game Stock 2012....I got the demo, I could not get the camaro cockpit to show and the engine sound was not working....weird. I was disappointed with this and just exited. I'll surely give it another try with the mini comes out.

For some reason, I do not want to give up on pCars. Yesterday I went on the forum and stayed reading a bit. In the physics section, there were lots of 'complaints', suggestions and tips...all referring to better physics, so, I have a feeling that one day the physics will not be that bad. Then I went a bit around with Asano X4 Touring (Audi A4 DTM), set the time for dawn....hehe, have to stay the graphics, the sun setting down, the reflections, it was amazing. And the car was not handling very badly. I wont give up on this one, cause there is definitely potential, fingers crossed!

As for Asetto Corsa....why would they develop a sim with worse physics then nkPro!!!??? Yeah, you tell me so that they hit better masses and sell more? Maybe. Hope not. I think they are more intelligent than that and will have 'arcade' and sim options! I think they did their homework well, I think that many people will be happy. But, let's wait and see :)

Then again, there were some online yesterday saying how much they hate the clios! Fact is that every one of us is different, we like different things so the best would be if you try it yourself and judge yourself. Opinion of others might not count for you.

The Abarth, yes! Absolutely the most amazing sim ever. Even though it saddens me somewhat b/c I love the rfactor community spirit, etc., I cannot see any way that AC is going to be the end of all the other sims. Believe me, what ISI is doing is great and ambitious but at the end of the day with the sim basically not even in prealpha yet b/c not only is development not complete on major chunks, entire pieces of the software are in DESIGN and worse RE-DESIGN.

Regarding the Clios they are fun as heck and physics and weight balance and everything is great and at the same time completely artificial. There isn't a sane person in the world who would expect to get in a Clio and it to feel and sound that way, even though the inputs and outputs and physics are all great it's hard to describe but it's like the "presentation" or immersion are simply non-existent. Hop in the NKP Abarth and drive for 20 minutes and then come back to the Clio and if you don't laugh then you are going to like rf2 LOL.

Oops also one more thing. The people who like rf2 but don't like Clios are the Megane addicts who have all their eggs in practicing the same car/course their entire lives so they can dominate and pretend they know how to drive LOL and they are mad as hell b/c the Clio just ended the Megane forever...

Edit: I meant to say that I don't see any way that AC is NOT going to mean the end for all other sims.

Dont worry, we have to deal with most of those when driving a car too. Add to that list contending with trucks driving right up your rear at 20kmh over their supposed speed limiter (as shown on back of truck). Or trucks stopping in fast lane of freeway because they are about to miss their off ramp and they want to move over, or trucks veering into your lane because they are asleep.

Actually, I just thought of a feature that might make a truck sim exciting. A random "fall asleep at the wheel" timer. Screen blanks out for a random time whilst you are driving. :). This is posted all in good fun. Obviously this trucker behaviour is very rare :)

Dont worry, we have to deal with most of those when driving a car too. Add to that list contending with trucks driving right up your rear at 20kmh over their supposed speed limiter (as shown on back of truck). Or trucks stopping in fast lane of freeway because they are about to miss their off ramp and they want to move over, or trucks veering into your lane because they are asleep.

Actually, I just thought of a feature that might make a truck sim exciting. A random "fall asleep at the wheel" timer. Screen blanks out for a random time whilst you are driving. :). This is posted all in good fun. Obviously this trucker behaviour is very rare :)

That feature is actually implemented, can't remember if it was rig'n'roll or euro truck simulator that had that one, they all are so alike that my memory can't separate them reliably.

I would buy such a sim just so I can redeem all the wayward truckers that refused to do their duty and honk the horn when requested by kids in cars which is by far the most important part of the job LOL

Yes, it was the Transmazonica now that you mention.
I remember him saying that a friend of his took him for a drive outside of SauPaulo and after an hours drive they were in the middle of jungle with no hope of resque if something happened to them. No mobiles at the time :(

As for pills, I suspect a lot of European truck drivers use them, so, Brasil is enourmous, what do you expect...
Some is confusing, transamazonica(in the midlle that rain forest all of you know) is in north and Sao Paulo is southwest
And Sao Paulo is **** place to go. Industrial city, too violent. has a lot culture options, good restaurants, better soccer in the country but little thing related to nature.

That feature is actually implemented, can't remember if it was rig'n'roll or euro truck simulator that had that one, they all are so alike that my memory can't separate them reliably.

That was Euro Truck Simulator indeed. I used play a lot 18 Wheels of Steel: Haulin' but eventually the driving physics killed it to me... But I loved the game, with better technical execution that game would be perfect.

The Abarth, yes! Absolutely the most amazing sim ever. Even though it saddens me somewhat b/c I love the rfactor community spirit, etc., I cannot see any way that AC is going to be the end of all the other sims. Believe me, what ISI is doing is great and ambitious but at the end of the day with the sim basically not even in prealpha yet b/c not only is development not complete on major chunks, entire pieces of the software are in DESIGN and worse RE-DESIGN.

Edit: I meant to say that I don't see any way that AC is NOT going to mean the end for all other sims.

I see no problem with communities...for example I'll be part of all communities if they are great :)

Regarding the Clios they are fun as heck and physics and weight balance and everything is great and at the same time completely artificial. There isn't a sane person in the world who would expect to get in a Clio and it to feel and sound that way, even though the inputs and outputs and physics are all great it's hard to describe but it's like the "presentation" or immersion are simply non-existent. Hop in the NKP Abarth and drive for 20 minutes and then come back to the Clio and if you don't laugh then you are going to like rf2 LOL.

I don't understand, are you saying the clio's handling is fake? That's a pity as it feels so great!

Oops also one more thing. The people who like rf2 but don't like Clios are the Megane addicts who have all their eggs in practicing the same car/course their entire lives so they can dominate and pretend they know how to drive LOL and they are mad as hell b/c the Clio just ended the Megane forever...

I don't like the megane, its no fun for me....

Well, one day there was a guy called Marius Golombeck driving Clio at Croft. He said quite the opposite and was impressed how quick he was into the car. He said he had driven the same Clio in real-life and told his setup in rF2 was almost the same as they used in real-life. Personally I feel the immersion in rF2 is very strong but of course it depends on many things such as display size, etc.

I haven't driven Clios or any other rF2 cars in real-life so cannot tell if it's right or wrong. But someone saying something doesn't feel realistic based on experience in other sim is just pointless (at least to me).

I only like truck drivers if they look like Burt Reynolds.

Heheh, well count me out of the ones you like then ;P

On topic: I have to love the way that some people keep saying rF2 is still in pre-alpha or normal alpha or what ever. I am guessing they have no clue about the process of developing a game or they wouldn't make such comments. And yes, before you snip back at me, I know you are just saying that you think the game needs a lot more development. When you are comparing a sim and saying one is further along than another because of eye candy, that only tells me you like the eye candy over the meat of what a sim should be by the very definition of the word simulator.

Now it is possible that AC has a good feel to it, I wouldn't know because I don't have it. Is it even out yet in any phase? I ask because I have not found a download for it on their site.

Now it is possible that AC has a good feel to it, I wouldn't know because I don't have it. Is it even out yet in any phase? I ask because I have not found a download for it on their site.

No it isnt, but people make serious discussions about it, based on assumptions.
Maybe it will be the best sim ever in the history of mankind, but I have a stack of hardly ever used dvds on my desk, having bought them on such...intuition.

Guys i think the main thing here that people are overlooking.... is the fact that AC will be a moddable platform. Many "modding" teams will jump ship if 1. the eye candy makes there cars look better
2. the ease of converstion from model to in game process.

no other platform right now.. other than rF and rF2 allow this...

As it stands there are very respecitble people in the Sim community who have been around a long time, saying good things regarding AC.

Well, one day there was a guy called Marius Golombeck driving Clio at Croft. He said quite the opposite and was impressed how quick he was into the car. He said he had driven the same Clio in real-life and told his setup in rF2 was almost the same as they used in real-life. Personally I feel the immersion in rF2 is very strong but of course it depends on many things such as display size, etc.

I haven't driven Clios or any other rF2 cars in real-life so cannot tell if it's right or wrong. But someone saying something doesn't feel realistic based on experience in other sim is just pointless (at least to me).

+1

Guys i think the main thing here that people are overlooking.... is the fact that AC will be a moddable platform. Many "modding" teams will jump ship if 1. the eye candy makes there cars look better
2. the ease of converstion from model to in game process.

no other platform right now.. other than rF and rF2 allow this...

As it stands there are very respecitble people in the Sim community who have been around a long time, saying good things regarding AC.

Racer.nl, Rigs of Rods which is of course quite bit different, however lately they have made it lot closer to circuit racing. Then LFS was promised to be moddable after S3 and next step for them is S3 most likely, of course we must remember that they did promise one car over 3 1/2 years ago and that has not yet happened while updates have dried out so I have no faith that it will be at least very near, but perhaps in lifetime of rF2 which will then add to competition.

Then there are other kind of racing, completely other kind of games which can be areas where modders like to work if they don't find rF2 being enough platform for them.

There are mods even to those truck sims.

But of course AC will be most direct competitor as I have mentioned before.

Well, if all this discussion about AC is based on a video preview that has been put out by them, then I just have one point to make. A good animator can make a very believable video and call it an in game preview even if it isn't. Not saying that is what has been done, but just saying..... I will hold off any kind of opinion of the sim until such time as it is available to the public to test out and see for our selves.

Ask your self what you really want:
- Laser scanned tracks
- yes
- scanned cars
- not really
- fast development
- yes
- good tire physics
- oh yes
- good driving physics
- 4 sure
and so far.....
i owned rfactor, rf2, pcars, iracing...and drive them so often as i can
so the best combination from all three would be
- Track scanning technology from iracing
- The complete physics, ffb and weather sytem from rfactor
- The GFX incl. textures from pCars
- and the quality of the car developer from pCars.
Al that in one game would be a blast. But...you can create a sim with all that and the best physics ever...some people will not able to drive that..and for these people is the sim unrealistic.
So the point is simple. All what we want is fun and clean racing if we are in online sessions. We drive in our league rf1 and have so much fun since a couple of years. Sometimes we are thinking about to switch to other games but there are no good alternatives around.
Just my two cents. ;)

Last edited:
Well, if all this discussion about AC is based on a video preview that has been put out by them, then I just have one point to make. A good animator can make a very believable video and call it an in game preview even if it isn't. Not saying that is what has been done, but just saying..... I will hold off any kind of opinion of the sim until such time as it is available to the public to test out and see for our selves.

Based on a video preview??? i guess you have not read or seen any of the reviews of the people who actually tested it..

I don't understand, are you saying the clio's handling is fake? That's a pity as it feels so great!

No. I'm saying the opposite. The handling is amazing! That's why it's hard to explain. Maybe it's the force feedback even though it feels accurate and provides great information maybe it's just a little jerky or harsh or something. And the sounds are definitely ****. And the graphics suck to so maybe that is part of it. So maybe it's the immersion which is nonexistent but the handling is amazing.

Back