rFactor Better FFB Tutorial

Ok, reinstalled Logitech drivers and now it's better, also there was a strange plugin I didn't realize before: "fmodex.dll" I don't know what the hell it was but it's not a default rfactor file so I removed it. Connection to the road makes more sense now, cars start handling as espected.

But I have a consideration on physics modding in general. Some people think crap physics = realistic, balanced physics = console. They are so wrong. I can garantee you a real GT3 F458 has tons of grip in all directions. Slick tyres, aero package + race suspension + rollcage reinforcement to an already great chassis able to handle 560 hp, air restriction lowering hp to 450. GT3 cars has grip grip and even more grip.

Look how balanced the car feel, steering input is smooth and precise, no weird shakes, no bs, no truck like mass transfer. I found the hard way, there are quite a lot of GT cars with crap physics in the comunity. You can't simply input real life values and expect rFactor give you real life feelings, unfortunately doesn't work like that.

Luckly, with some effort you can change physics and I found a well balanced mod, the Radical SR3 by sandrox. No Leo and real feel needed here, I did a custom control.ini and it works great for me (DFGT, 900 degrees in Logitech panel). If you played GT5 give it a go. http://www.mediafire.com/?49apeaffdgeh2wg (don't forget to copy paste your usual controls)

Thanks Zeos for pointing out the plugin conflict thing.

I have only started plating this game and i followed the guide to the letter and got it going....

only thing i dont like is the wheel having to be turned heaps to turn the car.

I ahve read right through this thread and i dont understand steering locks/angles and have wasted most of my day trying to fix my steering in this game.

could you please tell me what to change from the tutorial install to get the G27 wheel movement to match ingame.

I know people say "turn it off, etc" but i like the wheel and hate feeling like im driving a bus to steer the car. and cant play that way. I would like my imputs to match the standard install but with the use of these addons.

thanks

Make sure you have "Speed Sensitivity" in the options turned to 0. That lowers the steering lock while at speed and is unrealistic for a race car.

Matching in-game car rotation visually requires an edit of the .plr file. In there is the VISUAL rotation of the in-game wheel (which you should have turned off.. )

To match a cars real life rotation is a bit more difficult as you have to leave the game and edit the G27 profiler to whatever rotation you want.. 720, 540 and then start rFactor and drive. rFactor2 remedies this issue.

UPDATE.. I just pulled the newest RealFeel.dll from the new Corvette2012 mod by Neils. Has the newest RF plugin from GSC and This comes with my updated cars ini (Don't overwrite your own if you have them customized to your liking)

http://www.mediafire.com/?xrldod5iqbdj5m5

Last edited:
Hi ZeosPantera, i have some questions.

Your updated ZIP-File from Page 1 Post 1 doesn't include a "Controller.ini" or a "What to change in Controller.txt" like in your previous versions. Why? Is there no more editing needed now?

In other tutorials i have read that i have to change more values in the LeoFFB.ini than only the Front Wheel Lock Angle.
Is this not necessary with your package?

A little bit confusing everything...

Daniel

My apologize I totally forgot to include them. When I get home I will look for the originals. If anyone reading this can post them in the mean time I would appreciate it.

that's v0.936
I have v0.938 and have had it for quite some time.
months.

Of realfeel? Can you link me to the download for 938 I got the one I uploaded from the new 2012 C6 Corvette mod.

Wow. I feel dumb. Although I may have had that version. Can't check I deleted the one I was using.

Why would anyone release a brand new mod with a older version. Especially one that was worked on with Techade.

As for the what to change in the Controller.ini

Code:
[ General Controls ]
Analog Control Filter="0" // 0 = off, 31 = on, or add which inputs you want filtered 1=throttle, 2=brake, 4=handbrake, 8=steering, 16=clutch
Filter Samples="3" // how many samples to use (3-10, lowest and highest are thrown out)
Reset FFB Time="0.00000" // reset force feedback every X seconds (0 to disable)
Fixed Rate Inputs="1" // whether to sample joystick/wheel inputs in a thread for better precision
Auto Reverse="0" // If auto-shifting and holding brakes, will shift into reverse and reverse throttle/brake temporarily
Steer Ratio Speed="0.00000" // Speed at which low speed steering lock override ends (for pit navigation, units are meters/sec, 0.0 to disable)
Speed Sensitive Steering="0.00000"

and

Code:
[ Force Feedback ]
FFB Device Type="1" // Type of FFB controller: 0=none 1=wheel, 2=stick/custom, 3=rumble pad.
FFB Effects Level="4" // Number of FFB effects to use: 0=No Effects, 1=Low, 2=Medium, 3=High, 4=Full, 5=Custom.
FFB Gain="1.00000" // Strength of Force Feedback effects.  Range 0.0 to 1.0.
FFB Ignore Controllers="0" // Do not use FFB on: 1=controller1, 2=controller2, 4=controller3 (or add values to ignore multiple controllers)
FFB Throttle FX on steer axis="1" // 0 = Throttle effects on throttle axis, 1 = throttle effects on steering axis.
FFB Brake FX on steer axis="1" // 0 = Brake effects on brake axis, 1 = brake effects on steering axis.
FFB steer vibe freq mult="0.00000" // Controls frequency of steering vibration. Recommended: 0.5 to 1.0, 0.0 disables steering
FFB steer vibe zero magnitude="0.00000" // Magnitude of steering vibration at 0mph (reference point).
FFB steer vibe slope="0.00000" // Slope of line defining magnitude as a function of frequency (used with FFB steer vibe zero magnitude).
FFB steer vibe wave type="0" // Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.
FFB steer force prediction="0.00000" // Time into the future that force is predicted, to help counteract wheel latency (0.0 to disable)
FFB steer force max change="100.00000" // Maximum change per second based on current difference between calculated and applied
FFB steer force neutral range="0.00000" // Max distance from center "neutral force" location where forces are reduced to help avoid oscillation (0.0 to disable)
FFB steer force neutral function="0.00000" // Function to apply near neutral force location, in order to tune out FFB "deadzone" but keeping oscillations in check: 0.0=original, 1.0=new
FFB steer force exponent="0.50000" // Steering force output "sensitivity".  Range 0.0 to infinity.  0.0 to 1.0 = higher sensitivity, greater than 1.0 = lower sensitivity.
FFB steer force input max="-65535.00000" // Recommended: 11500 (-11500 if controller pulls in the wrong direction)
FFB steer force output max="0.00000" // Maximum force output of steering force, recommendation 0.8 to 2.0
FFB steer force grip function="0.25000" // Range 0.0 to 1.0 (previous hardcoded value was 1.0) - lower values will make steering force decrease LATER as front tire grip is lost - try 0.3
FFB steer force grip weight="0.90000" // Range 0.0 to 1.0, recommended: 0.4 to 0.9.  How much weight is given to tire grip when calculating steering force.
FFB steer force grip factor="0.95000" // Range 0.0 to 1.0, recommended: 0.2 to 0.6 (previously hardcoded to 0.4).  How much of a factor the front wheel grip is on the steering weight.
FFB steer front grip fract="0.75000" // Range 0.0 to 1.0 (previous hardcoded value was 0.0), additional effect of front grip loss on steering force
FFB steer update threshold="0.0000500000" // Amount of change required to update steer force/vibe (0.0 - 1.0). Lower values = steering force updated more frequently = lower frame rate.
FFB steer friction coefficient="0.17500" // Coefficient to use for steering friction.  Range: -1.0 to 1.0
FFB steer friction saturation="1.00000" // Saturation value to use for steering friction.  Range: 0 - 1.0
FFB steer damper coefficient="0.17586" // Coefficient to use for steering damper.  Range: -1.0 to 1.0
FFB steer damper saturation="0.00000" // Saturation value to use for steering damper.  Range: 0 - 1.0
FFB throttle vibe freq mult="0.00000" // Scales actual engine frequency to force FFB vibration frequency.  Suggested range: 0.10 to 0.50
FFB throttle vibe zero magnitude="0.00000" // Magnitude of engine vibration at 0rpm (reference point).
FFB throttle vibe slope="0.00000" // Slope of line defining magnitude as a function of frequency (used with FFB throttle vibe zero magnitude).
FFB throttle vibe wave type="0" // Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.
FFB throttle vibe update thresh="0.00000" // Amount of change required to update throttle vibe (0.0 - 1.0)
FFB brake vibe freq mult="0.00000" // Scales actual brake rotational frequency to force feedback vibration frequency.
FFB brake vibe zero magnitude="0.00000" // Magnitude of brake vibration at 0mph (reference point).
FFB brake vibe slope="0.00000" // Slope of line defining magnitude as a function of frequency (used with FFB brake vibe zero magnitude).
FFB brake vibe wave type="0" // Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.
FFB brake vibe update thresh="0.00000" // Amount of change required to update brake vibe (0.0 to 1.0)
FFB rumble strip magnitude="0.15000" // How strong the rumble strip rumble is.  Range 0.0 to 1.0, 0.0 disables effect.
FFB rumble strip freq mult="0.60000" // Rumble strip frequency multiplier 1.0 = one rumble per wheel rev.
FFB rumble strip wave type="0" // Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.
FFB rumble strip pull factor="-0.50000" // How strongly wheel pulls right/left when running over a rumble strip. Suggested range: -1.5 to 1.5.
FFB rumble strip update thresh="0.07500" // Amount of change required to update rumble strip effect (0.0 - 1.0)
FFB jolt magnitude="1.00000" // How strong jolts from other cars (or walls) are.  Suggested Range: -2.0 to 2.0.

Replaced the download to include the newest RealFeel and the text above.

http://www.mediafire.com/?xrldod5iqbdj5m5

Last edited:
Well, like he said, it ACTS exactly the same, it's just how you prefer the cars to be listed.
I have many (10+) installs and I went back to see which mods I used with which version, it varies.
Prolly shouldn't have brought it up to begin with.
Just causes confusion.

Hey everyone, I've been playing iRacing and decided to give rFactor another shot, my biggest issue is steering feel so found my way here. I installed the Real Feel on P1 of this thread, I randomly installed a car to try it on, felt iffy, adjusted from 900 degrees to 720 and adjusted the settings and it's a tad better, here's what I'm feeling:

-Slight inconsistency of my wheel and what the car is doing, there's slight play in initial turning. The more I'm turning, the more feedback/resistance.

Any ideas? Do you have to change settings for each car you drive/install?

By the way, I'm not getting the "real feel enabled" voice when I start.

The real feel voice was disabled by the creator (probably getting on his nerves after years of development) so don't worry. You should still hear the voice when changing options with CTRL+numpad.

You do usually have to change and modify each cars Strength Divider(Crtl - 7&9) as you drive. The numbers I set as default are pretty good for 70% of the cars. You may also need to adjust the mix Ctrl 1-3, the direction Ctrl 8 and the smoothing Ctrl 0 and .

Usually the more you turn the harder the wheel gets due to the caster in the front suspension. This will vary per car but is normal.

Oh, What wheel are you using?

The real feel voice was disabled by the creator (probably getting on his nerves after years of development) so don't worry. You should still hear the voice when changing options with CTRL+numpad.

You do usually have to change and modify each cars Strength Divider(Crtl - 7&9) as you drive. The numbers I set as default are pretty good for 70% of the cars. You may also need to adjust the mix Ctrl 1-3, the direction Ctrl 8 and the smoothing Ctrl 0 and .

Usually the more you turn the harder the wheel gets due to the caster in the front suspension. This will vary per car but is normal.

Oh, What wheel are you using?

Cool thanks, I'll mess with it some more.

Just a Logitech DFGT.

After messing with it more the feeling feels good, but there's still play in initial turn in.

There's absolutely no resistance the first bit of turning, it barely even turns, it's like driving an old car with a bad steering rack. Any ideas on where to adjust this feeling? It's as if the steering doesn't actually start to pick up until I've turned the wheel a bit, it feels like every car I'm driving is a stock car or something. lol

Which mods have you tried?

Currently I've been playing the DRM mod, Toyota Supra, German F3, and Can-Am.

All feel relatively the same. The FFB is fine and easily adjusted to fit any, it's the steering response that sucks.

Real feel + Leo ffb and a good configuration make it marvellous, far beyond gt5 , with the corvette c6r or the 288 gto mod , this is really astonishing ;)
you can feel wich wheel lost it's grip right reat or left rear etc...
I have to agree with this.
I run a Fanatec CSR with Real Feel and Leos (remember to have mix at 90% not 100% or you get no Leo stuff) and the experience is awesome. Feeling the stress on the chassis, lock up on indidvidual front wheels, grip going away on rear wheels before its totally lost.
The only thing i have found better is a real car on a real track (better graphics in that one too).

Currently I've been playing the DRM mod, Toyota Supra, German F3, and Can-Am.

All feel relatively the same. The FFB is fine and easily adjusted to fit any, it's the steering response that sucks.

Make sure your Speed Sensitivity is at 0 in the rates menu.

Rfactor Realfill w/ Honda Challenge

Hi guys!

Great to be part of this forum. I got my wheel 2 weeks ago and can drift pretty comfortable down touges now in Rfactor! It's a hell of a lot of fun, and this plugin feels very smooth and quite lifelike considering the age of Rfactor 1.

I tried running this plug-in with the Honda Challenge mod. This is a good mod, howver with the realfeel plug-in I find that if the car is moving at a reasonable speed and I turn teh wheel, the further I turn the more forcefeedback I get turning thje wheel FURTHER in the direction I am turning it... So in the end if I don't control it it will do a full lock.

I have enjoyed the mod and the cars in it greatly. If anyone can offer any advice on how to fix this, I would be most appreciative.

Is the FFB Backward(rCTRL+8)? The wheel will pull left and right instead of strait if it is. It may also be a front wheel drive issue. FWD cars pull the steering geometry when throttle is applied. A good test is just coast around and if the car feels "normal" only when coasting(no gas) that means the FWD is what you are feeling.

Is the FFB Backward(rCTRL+8)? The wheel will pull left and right instead of strait if it is. It may also be a front wheel drive issue. FWD cars pull the steering geometry when throttle is applied. A good test is just coast around and if the car feels "normal" only when coasting(no gas) that means the FWD is what you are feeling.

Well basically, if I'm moving, and I turn the wheel, the wheel will want to turn itself FURTHER in the direction I'm turning. The more I turn, the more force ti will place in that direction. Subsequently, if I turn slightly in one way when moving, the wheel will start turning itself.

IT certainly isn't a FWD issue, particularily as I'm driving RWD cars in the mod. FWD drives certainly don't do this, unless they're having a lot of torque steer when running a lot of power through the clutch/tranny... atleast that's my experience in RL.

ahhh... Thankyou guys so much. It's all sorted. I can finally hammer an NSX down Harugahara, and try and get a better handle on controlled oversteer in high power MRs.

Thankyou so much for your mod Zeos. It really nullifies the greatest weakness in the default Rfactor game: Poor force feedback feel. Really, ever since I've got this game my impulse to go for a hill run late at nights has dwindled haha.

I've followed the instructions and it all works beautifully. I went from the Supra MkIV to the Lotus23b and there was a huge difference in the feel in regards to the weight of the cars.

However on both mods I am getting oscillation from the wheel when the car is stationary. At first nothing happens but when I start to move the wheel it swings all the way in the direction I pushed it, then back in the other direction and so forth. When I changed the rotation to a full 900 degrees it seems to hold in place at full lock, until I nudge it the other way then proceeds to either oscillate or go full lock in the other direction. I have lowered the setting mentioned in the original post, all the way down to .1 in fact, and nothing changes other than the force is lowered as it moves side to side. But I had to go as low as .1 to notice that.

Can anyone help me with this? This is the best FFB I've ever felt aside from that so would love to have it working properly.

Your force feedback is backward. Either reverse it in-game (-100) is how it should probably be set in the menu, OR when driving a new car you can use Right CTRL + NUMPAD8 to reverse the feedback.

Your force feedback is backward. Either reverse it in-game (-100) is how it should probably be set in the menu, OR when driving a new car you can use Right CTRL + NUMPAD8 to reverse the feedback.

Tried that. All it did was pull the wrong way when I was driving. So I changed it again.

It is only doing this while I am stationary.

EDIT: If it helps at all I tried taking the Leo plugin out and it was still doing it, so sounds like its a setting with realfeel.

EDIT 2: Nevermind, I fixed it. No idea how tbh but it's working perfectly.

Would just like to say this is fantastic, best force feedback in a sim that I've used. Comparable to the LFS FFB.

Last edited:
To all Fanatec Users a maby important Information !

First Time many thanks to Zeos for explaining and providing this great solution! !:)

After the installation as explained from zeos I had some problems with ffb sometimes to much sometimes to less. After ours's of reading and reading and trying you know what i mean :p i found that the fanled plugin is not compatibel with this solution.
I know that in the thread it is explained that there are maby problems with some plugins but it was not clear for me that fanaled also take some influence to the ffb effects. After removing the plugin all works as explained above.

My Fanatec Settings.
Wheel Angel 720
FFB 100%
Shock 100%
rest is set to off.

cheers
alex

AW: rFactor Better FFB Tutorial

Can i use the controller.ini with a Thrustmaster T500 RS - Firmware 40 (latency 500Hz)?

You developed it with a Logitech G27, so does it only work proper with this one?
Or are these global settings for each wheel?

You wrote everybody who's using less than 900° is wasting performance, if I get you right.
Should I go for 1080° then?

Did anybody try this setup before (T500 with 1080°)? Which is your preferred steering lock?

Greets K

The settings SHOULD work for every wheel but I can't verify how each works without ever type of wheel. You can use 1080° if you want the only determent I have found is very VERY small events occurring in FFB can be lost if the steering lock is too small. The FFB moving the wheel back and forth 1/8" @ 900° becomes 1/16th of an inch at 450° and anything smaller then that is lost. Don't let that sway you if you change the steering lock for every car you will still be fine. Your force divider will just need to be changed as the STRENGTH of the FFB will be increased as you limit the range.

The settings SHOULD work for every wheel but I can't verify how each works without ever type of wheel. You can use 1080° if you want the only determent I have found is very VERY small events occurring in FFB can be lost if the steering lock is too small. The FFB moving the wheel back and forth 1/8" @ 900° becomes 1/16th of an inch at 450° and anything smaller then that is lost. Don't let that sway you if you change the steering lock for every car you will still be fine. Your force divider will just need to be changed as the STRENGTH of the FFB will be increased as you limit the range.

Thx ... :)

Hi

I just changed my keyboard (for ergonomic reasons) and the new one has no numpad, is there a way to reassign the hotkeys in realfeel...how?!?

MANY THANKS

I might have to give this a go. I've recently re-discovered rFactor1 after moving on to other sims and the FFB is biggest "Oh how I wish" I've come across.

I have the latest RealFeel with Leo FFB installed. It feels great but it's making my Fanatec 911 GT3 V2 feel like a G25. There is a center deadzone, very similar to what you find in a G25, it responds quick but there is a deadzone on the center. I have deadzone at 0% in-game.

Maybe I need to change something in the .ini. Also, when coming out of the pits, I need to turn the wheel a lot, the car seems to respond very slowly at very slow speeds. I am using the Clio 08 mod. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Yes, it feels similar. I tried it with the GT1 2012 mod. Its actually worse considering these cars are faster and RWD. There is loose feeling at the center. Also, when coming out of the pits, the steering is very slow, I have to turn a lot to get out of the pits. I am using a much higher steering lock than usual. Despite this, this FFB still feels better than what I had, it's just this issue.

Back